Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Trends Are Going To Fade
Open Concept - Kitchen, Dining & Living Areas 28 41.79%
Free Standing Tub and Shower in the Same Space 12 17.91%
Fake Electric Fireplaces 17 25.37%
Massive Master Suites 10 14.93%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 10:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I like the light, airiness of white cabinets. I hate dark wood, and the look of clear finished or unfinished oak. This was my kitchen before and after my DIY remodel last month. Even without lights on it's much brighter and cheerier than the old dark wood (and the old cabinets were falling apart which is why I replaced them and decided to make the change)
I liked the lighter floor
I would have kept it or if you couldn’t do that would have replaced with something lighter than the gray tones floor you put down—
But that is your house and your choice
The floor just has lot of pattern because of the varied tones and takes away from the lightness of the cabinets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 09:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
White and black exteriors, with interior colors limited to two: grey and gray.

20 years from now people will look at all that vertical batten-on-board siding, white painted brick (yeah, THAT'S a great idea, transform a maintenance-free exterior cladding to a maintenance-required exterior) grey countertops and grey floors and retch at how an entire population of homeowners could have lemming-like blindly followed that trend.
Gray homes is the very first thing that popped into my head. AKA white and black (which equals gray, I might add). Blech. Give me more color!

Old 02-27-2024, 01:57 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Gray homes is the very first thing that popped into my head. AKA white and black (which equals gray, I might add). Blech. Give me more color!
I agree. I want scream when I see those stark white with black windows Urban Farmhouses being built. It’s the next beige with dark brown trim house from the 70’s. And don’t get me started on their all stark white interiors or even worse gray walls. STOP already.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:48 AM

369 posts, read 105,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I liked the lighter floor
I would have kept it or if you couldn’t do that would have replaced with something lighter than the gray tones floor you put down—
The lighter floor showed dirt really bad, especially with all our little black haired Scottie dogs. The grey has proven to look much cleaner between actual cleanings.

And all of it is better than what was in there when we bought the house:
Attached Thumbnails
Trends Destine to Die-kitchenstart.jpg  

Old 02-28-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. I want scream when I see those stark white with black windows Urban Farmhouses being built. It’s the next beige with dark brown trim house from the 70’s. And don’t get me started on their all stark white interiors or even worse gray walls. STOP already.
For me, I love those. It allows the use of plants, landscaping, lighting and a couple accents as the color component on the outside, and furniture and art as the color component on the insides.

And the white would have been similar to what they were painted in the late 1800's-early 1900s.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:01 AM

11,418 posts, read 5,967,061 times
I voted free standing tub. That is the only one I think is a true fad that could go away.

I like electric fireplaces. They are not as charming as a real fire, but the convenience more than makes up for it. No having the fire go on 2 hours after you decide to go to bed. More and more cities will ban real fireplaces in the name of saving Mother Erf, so I see electric fireplaces as a rapidly growing trend and most definitly not something that will fade away. If anything, they will eventually be mandated in all new homes with no homes having an acual fireplace.

I appreciate a large master suite. I am good with that.

The open floorplan is a concept that I wish would die a fiery death yesterday. Sadly, I doubt that will change any time soon. Most people seem to love an open floor plan. I hate it. When I am in a room, I only want to be snug in that one cozy room. I don't want to feel like I live in a loft or a cavern. The industry does not give a lick what I want, and I don't feel like buying a home built in the 1940s or 1960s just to avoid an open floor plan.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:48 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
The lighter floor showed dirt really bad, especially with all our little black haired Scottie dogs. The grey has proven to look much cleaner between actual cleanings.

And all of it is better than what was in there when we bought the house:
The rest of that kitchen could go, but: Were those actual tiles on the side and back walls?

They overdid it if they were, but those would have made great backsplashes.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:11 PM

12,381 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Free standing tub in the shower. People will realize it's way more to keep clean, and/or they don't have a big enough hot water heater to fill it. Also two tone kitchen cabinets, white and/ or black cabinets and white walls. I think no upper cabinets will go out when people realize they need the storage lol I personally dislike no upper cabinets look

I also think they'll get tired of those new wood floors that you supposedly can't scratch or ruin.

Every house on HGTV looks the same, same "wood" floors, those barn style doors and those kitchens.

I think high ceilings will die out because heating and cooling is going to waste

Add to it those fire places.

Never watched HGTV until we were selling in the spring. Some of the interiors they do are ugly as heck. I especially hate them painting brick. Like rabbit said above, you went from maintenance free to now having to repaint. How stupid!

There's a few decent shows to get ideas, better than watching TLC lately. It helps me fall asleep most nights lol
I am also not a fan of the two-tone kitchen cabinets look, especially when the two colors are really contrasty, like nearly black plus nearly white. I am not aiming for dramatic or striking, I am aiming for harmonious and beautiful.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:14 PM

12,381 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don’t think that Open Concept floor plans will die anytime soon, if at all. They are too popular and practical with today’s life style. It would take a drastic turn in our modern lifestyle to close off rooms again.

I’m note sure what the bathroom one is. It sounds like the recent wet room trend where a shower and tub are provided behind glass doors. I haven’t seen a lot of this yet so I don’t think it’s a trend that will stop.

Whether we like it or not, people like to have space. That is why the size of homes continued to rise even after a brief small homes movement was started a decade or two back. As we see today, large primary bedrooms will continue and be dependent on the size of the house rather than a trend.

That leaves electric fireplaces. This definitely is a trend that will go out. It’s fake and as history has shown, fake things die. This is one of them. It will be gone in a few years, thankfully. Jay
I also like "open concept" floorplans, although I will say that it opens up the living space of a small home very nicely, but in a big home, a great room can look like a gymnasium or a hotel lobby - especially when it's not only big but has a vaulted ceiling, so in my opinion it depends upon the scale.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The rest of that kitchen could go, but: Were those actual tiles on the side and back walls?

They overdid it if they were, but those would have made great backsplashes.
No, it was contact paper. Not even wallpaper... Absolutely horrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum