Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM

22 posts, read 36,493 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this post by saying that I realize it is lengthy, and includes a lot of my own personal ranting and raving about where I currently live, as well as probably unrealistic expectations of Arizona, but I am at a point where I just have to put it all out there and hope that I get back something useful. I thank in advance anyone who will take the time to read and respond to this.

My wife and I live in a town called Rockville Centre, which is on the south shore of Long Island, NY. We have been together several years, married for a little over one year, and have just about had enough of the lifestyle here. To us, life on Long Island can be described in the following ways: Far too many people in way too small a space, either anxiously racing or slogging endlessly through traffic from one place to the next so we can make just enough money at our increasingly stressful and demanding jobs, so that we can pay outrageous mortgages and criminally high taxes for properties that are not at all large, and yet are in need of a ton of work just to resemble something from this century, while at the same time our neighbors are right on top of us, just so we can be thirty or so minutes away from Manhattan, which has become a city that no longer holds any appeal at all for us, a few minutes away from a handful of beaches that are now more overcrowded and polluted than they are enjoyable, and send our children (if we ever have any, which we don’t want to do here) to schools that are allegedly great on paper, but (and I’m speaking as a high school English teacher) are not nearly as impressive as they should be for the amount of money people pay just to survive here.
To escape our current situation, we are strongly considering moving somewhere far away from the east coast (especially after Hurricane Sandy), and we feel drawn to Arizona as a destination for relocating. I think what has us leaning in this direction is the fact that everyone we have ever spoken with who has visited, or lives in, Arizona absolutely loves it there, and describes it in ways that make it seem to be the perfect antidote to the poisonous lifestyle Long Island has to offer.
What I am hoping for is that people on the forum will offer opinions and information about relocating to, and living in, Arizona. Most people my wife and I know who have visited Arizona made Scottsdale their destination (with trips to Sedona and Grand Canyon National Park, which they all loved also). So for now, our intended relocation spot is Scottsdale. However, we are very open to other areas if they should meet our desires and expectations. And speaking of desires and expectations, here’s our ideal situation, which I realize might be unrealistic, but I have to try:
• M y wife is a physician assistant, so she would have a full-time position in a doctor’s office, hospital, urgent care center, etc., that paid her well and required no nights and very few (if not any at all) weekends shifts.
• I am a high school English teacher, so I would have a job in a safe, well-rounded, well-funded school district.
• We would want to live near where we work, with a commute time of no more than 30 minutes either way.
• We would want to live in a safe, good-looking area, in a good school district, located within a short driving distance to food shopping, outdoor recreation, restaurants, etc.
• We want a newer (from 2000 and up) house with at least 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, on a property big enough to at least be able to have comfortable backyard gatherings.
I’m sure there are other elements to our ideal situation, but what I have listed above are the most important. If you think of anything important that I might have left out, please feel free to mention it in your reply. Again, I thank all people who were kind enough to read through my crazy rant, and provide some helpful feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,801,815 times
Well, having grown up in Brooklyn NY I feel your pain. Once you find a spot place in AZ you'll like the place. Nice folks with a libertarian bend (don't bother me and I won't bother you). You really have to do some serious job hunting before settling on a place to go in AZ. Remember, weather wise this is a diverse state. The further north you go the more likely you'll see real winter conditions.

For the record, dear wife and I spend our winters down in the Tucson area. Nice place.

I understand Phoenix is growing. Might be a good first location to look at for a position.

Best of luck,

Rich
(normally Cape Cod, but for the moment in AZ!)

Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM

Rich, thank you for responding. I understand what you are saying about being secure with a job before making any kind of move. I have to do some research into that. I assume my wife would have a much easier time finding a job as a physician assistant at a decent location than I would as a high school English teacher in a good district. And from what I've heard, my wife could potentially make more in AZ than she does in NY, and I would most definitely make a lot less in AZ (but then at least property taxes wouldn't be so unbelievably high).

Old 01-16-2013, 02:08 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,231,547 times
I'm originally from Cedarhurst, so I can relate to your post.

I'll make a couple of comparisons you can relate to, to give you an idea. Think of Scottsdale as the 5 Towns in general, (with better shopping), and parts of North Scottsdale more like an Arizona version of Upper Brookville. While some believe it's founded and other's do not, Scottsdale is sometimes referred to as "Snottsdale". It's pretty much the same as someone rolling their eyes and saying, "Oh, you live in the 5 Towns". We both know there are gorgeous areas within the 5 Towns and some a bit less so. It's the same with Scottsdale, but it has a similar reputation to some regardless.

There are another couple of towns in the Phoenix metro area which would meet your criteria and there are a couple of areas about 2 hours south, in the Tucson metro area, which also meet them.

Each area seems to have it's own distinct feel and are also varying distances to assorted activities. (They all have dining, shopping, and the basics.) All are close to hospitals, urgent care centers and, of course, they all have schools.

Please feel free to send me a DM, if you think I can answer any specific questions.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:27 AM

308 posts, read 792,050 times
Having come from upstate NY, I feel your pain from the tax burden you currently face (I barely remember it!). One thing to keep in mind as you research AZ is the heat. Some who come from the east coast love it, some can't seem to get accustomed to it.

Personally, I chose Sierra Vista because I knew I would not like the metropolitan Phoenix area (grew up near Cooperstown) and I also knew the heat in Phoenix would get to me. In AZ, elevation is the key to weather, not north/south location. Sierra Vista is roughly 4500 ft, Tucson 2,000 ft and phoenix 1,000ft. These numbers are rough, but close enough for comparison. Sierra Vista is cooler than Tucson and much cooler than Phoenix even though we are less than 15 miles from the Mexican border.

If I were you, I would check closely into the Tucson area. Make sure you check the outlying areas such as Oro Valley, Marana, Vail and Sauherita (spelling not right on this one but it is just south of Tucson). Traffic is NOT NEARLY as bad as you are used to no matter what the locals say.

Do your homework diligently, listen to your gut and your heart, and most importantly be happy with your choice once you make it. No place in the world is perfect, so don't expect AZ to be. It is totally different than NY, so be OK with that and don't try to change AZ to make it like NY.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM

861 posts, read 2,193,001 times
Scottsdale is nice....hot but real nice. The heat doesnt bother me too much so it I could live there....

Sierra Vista is REAL nice weather I think. Being from NY area you might find it small for your tastes, but in my opinion it is one of the nicest areas in AZ.

I love AZ....east to west, north to south, so you wont find much negative about my state coming from me.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Thank you all for replying. I am interested to see that the Tuscon area is getting a lot of praise. I guess because I have never spoken with anyone who has come from or visited that area, it never really occurred to me to consider.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 AM

10 posts, read 25,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_L View Post
Thank you all for replying. I am interested to see that the Tuscon area is getting a lot of praise. I guess because I have never spoken with anyone who has come from or visited that area, it never really occurred to me to consider.

I moved back east from AZ, But will eventually be making my way back to AZ.

If you've never been to AZ, it would be best for both you and your wife to take a trip there. AZ is very different from what you may be used to in NY. I know I was culture shocked my first time there for whatever reason. Now that I am no longer there was when I actually realized how good I had it.

The one thing, you will never be ready for is the intense heat. Which usually kicks in right after Memorial Day weekend.
Other than that AZ is a really good place to live. the cost of living is a lot cheaper than NY. The traffic is not bad in comparison to NY. The scenery there is beautiful, sunshine year round. You may miss the rain to some extent.

Get out there and check it out, if you are really considering making the move.

As others may say; "you'll either love it or hate it"

Just don't be so quick to say "I Hate this Place"

Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,182,327 times
As a teacher you need to watch the salary difference vs. cost of living. I'm sure teachers are better paid / "benefitted" in NY vs. AZ. Otherwise, the weather alone is a killer in NY imo. Just a general warning - some people will always feel "in the wrong place" because they only see the negative. In this case moving won't change anything.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,733,496 times
Having lived on L.I. (Hempstead), I will add my opinion for what it's worth. You most definitely have to come out for a visit. With the exception of summer (late May-Sept) the weather is pretty decent. You are guaranteed sunshine nearly every day, for the most part, but it is extremely dry compared to NY. People forget we are the desert...the extreme opposite of where you live now.
Wages: They will most likely be lower here, but the cost of living is also lower.
Culture: Live and let live. People are generally friendly and A LOT more laid back than on L.I.
Traffic: Better road system that gets busy during rush hour, however, traffic still move fairly well unless there is an accident.
Water: Um, did I mention we were in the desert? However, there are a number of lakes within a 30-minute drive of Phoenix/Scottsdale. California is a six-hour drive (five depending on how fast you drive!) Mexico is also a three hour drive if you like that.
Climate: This is probably the most misunderstood aspect of Arizona. When it's 115 in the Phoenix area take a two hour drive north and you are in 80-degree weather! Arizona has diverse climates. If you are looking at Tucson you'd have the benefit of not having to drive out of the city as Mt. Lemon provides this sort of escape within the city limits.
Outdoor activities: basically available all year around! Hiking, camping, boating, fishing, etc. Your lifestyle can be as active as you make it.
Shopping: Plenty. There are numerous shopping venues for every budget.
Finally, as one poster stated, no place is perfect and there will be few (if any!) similarities between L.I. and AZ. If you accept AZ for what it is I think you will do fine, if you are unable to do that it may not be as enjoyable.
One other thing; as a teacher you will notice the stark difference in what NY pays per student compared to AZ, which is among the lowest in the nation. That is not to say there aren't good schools out here because there are. It is a different mentality, though, one you will definitely have to adjust to. Should also note that AZ Is a right to work state so unions aren't as prominent out here.
Well, that's it for now. Hope this was somewhat helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona