Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 05:54 PM

4 posts, read 20,820 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy out in Anthem but I can't seem to get a straight answer on if there is going to be another choice of high schools other then Florence High. It seems like each sales person we speak to we get a different answer and each one seem to be more about making a sale then a childs education. I am very concerned with placing my children in a high school that ranks 170 out of 312 high schools in AZ. Does anyone have any input or does anyone know of any private high schools in the area?
thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 07:58 PM

My issue is not which one of the Anthem's is better it is the school issues and lack of knowledge with the sales staff. One sales person says yes there will be a new high school and the next one says no. I am looking for someone that has real knowledge of this area that can help direct me to either a private high school maybe in JR or someone who lives in Anthem Merrill Ranch that could give me some valid insight. thanks

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-11-2007 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 07-08-2007, 03:32 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
I've been searching a few sources, and I see no talk of a new school. But, I think your best bet would be calling the Florence Unified School District ITSELF. They can at least tell you if there will be a new high school in the coming years (and with all the growth, I believe there will be, eventually) or tell you if they've selected a site, if its in the planning phases.. etc.

(eh. I hope its alright if I post school district contact info)

FLORENCE UNIFIED
SCHOOL DISTRICT

District Office:
(520) 866-3500
(480) 888-755

Old 07-08-2007, 10:26 AM

18 posts, read 83,061 times
Hi, I am building at Anthem in Merrill Ranch. I have the same concerns about Florence High School, my children arent that close yet, but I do to want other options. I was told that there is a new high school thats gonna be done next yr, that will enroll only sophomores and freshman to start with, and its in the QC area. The most direct souce is contacting the Florence Unified School district. You can reach them at 520-866-3500. Unfortunetly you cant depend on Sales people as the best advice. Good Luck and let us know what you find out, by the way I do think the Anthem Community is great, and I hope it works out for your family.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:42 AM

343 posts, read 552,026 times
Let me help you as I know something about the area and the public school districts. I know very little about private schools, which can say something about the choices offered for private or charter. Anthem is about a 10 minute commute from Florence High, but your other choice is Queen Creek High which is about a 20 minute commute. Coolidge High is also with in 15 minutes, but it's reputation is the same as Florence. Queen Creek High is a great public alternative IF you can get in! Sometimes they quit accepting students from outside district boundaries if they get too full. AZ has open enrollment for those wishing to educate children outside of their school district boundaries, once again IF the school has room for them. Queen Creek High has experienced much growth, the building is a few years new, and they have quickly gained a great reputation for offering a well rounded education in academics and extra-curricular activities(Sports/FHA/etc...). If you can wait a little longer, there are TWO new high schools being built in the Johnson Ranch/San Tan Heights area beginning in the school year 2009. One is being built by Florence Unified on the north side of Johnson Ranch, and the other is being built by Coolidge Unified about a mile behind the Wal Mart off Hunt Highway onto Gary Road. New schools are always a catch 22 being that it's a great opportunity to bring a child in with a fresh start and little political BS, but since the schools are new there are always the kinks that need to be worked out.

It ALL comes down to the kind of child you have. If he/she can adapt to a population of kids that have just transplanted to the area, you should be just fine! If you have had problems socially in the past with your child fitting in, then believe me it will only get worse in a new setting! Best of luck and please respond if you have more questions.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:51 AM

Thanks so much for your support and advice! I spoke to the school district about 2 months ago and was told that Anthem would not be in the boundary for the new school in QC. Hopfully this has changed I will follow up with them. I am afraid that the information that we are getting from the sale reps is based around the new school and either they don't know that the new school will be in the boundary or not or they don't want to know for fear of not making a sale. The just say a new HS is opening next year but they only list Florence High on their sales information It is such a wonderful community I would hate to have to settle for less to be within the boundaries. I appreciate all of your input!! Congrats Millenniumman on your new home I am so ready to live in such an awesome place as well!! Good luck to you!!

Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 AM

Thanks NNB I just saw your post after I sent my reply. I appreciate you taking the time to send this. Great information!!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:34 AM

343 posts, read 552,026 times
The schools in the town of Florence and Coolidge will provide a culture shock to your kids, and believe me when I say that is an education in itself. IF you have to resortto them, have serious discussions with your kids about standing up for what is right, because the pressures to goof around is strong, as is in many places. Like I said before, the culture in the schools closer to the metro area are much more to what you're accustomed to, so see if you can get in there.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,698 times
So you get an opinion first hand, Florence and Coolidge are not bad schools. Whoever came up with that is obviously not in these schools to really know what its like. Florence and Coolidge students aren't given enough credit. If you went to any one of these schools, you would see a family. Florence has always been a great school for new students because everyone is so welcoming and wanting to get to know them. There's no need to "stand up" for what you believe in because there is such a diverse group kids in these schools, that everyone is accepted. If your so intent on making sure that your kid doesn't "settle for less", then be my guest and wait a year. You may think that Florence and Coolidge students have a reputation, but once those schools are built, all of those students are going to be moving with you into the new schools. Florence and Coolidge are always going to have a close-knit group of students, the new schools are going to have to start all over.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 AM

106 posts, read 532,599 times
We were dragged down to that sales office by friends/neighbors who made the ultimately foolish choice to move there. We were ready to leave before we even pulled into the parking lot. I could not believe how these sales people spun everything to get people to buy there. They lied about freeways, schools, commute times and it was all I could do to keep a straight face when they said, "this is the next Scottsdale!"

They forced our neighbors to close without selling their own house first claiming, "we'll sell this to someone else tomorrow if you don't close now" (it was a spec) and we all know that was a big stretch and just a way to strongarm them. Meanwhile, it took them a year to sell their existing house and that was only after they sold it for 100k less than what they expected. Oh, and in the meanwhile the spec they bought (for the screaming deal) is now selling for 50k less. So much for that big investment the sales rep sold them on! Everything they were told is falling apart and now they have a son who is going to have to go to Florence High next year... they were told there would be another choice (not like any other school in Florence is likely to be much better).

Please people, do your own research... these sales reps are DESPERATE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona