Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 01:44 PM

594 posts, read 699,088 times

Advertisements

5 million and counting....

Someone is sticking around. Unfortunately it's not the constant complainers who are leaving.
Read their post history. Glass half empty folks and they never disappoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 01:57 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
People complain about the lack of community in Phoenix. "It's not like (wherever they're from)". If they would stick around long enough to actually form a community, there would be a community here!!
Good point!

Old 09-16-2016, 02:15 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
People complain about the lack of community in Phoenix. "It's not like (wherever they're from)". If they would stick around long enough to actually form a community, there would be a community here!!

They can't stick around. It's too hot, and they miss their seasons.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:18 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Many people move here due to political and social reasons.

LOTS of us came from CA (and other stifling states) - in order to live liberty. The minor inconveniences are FAR outweighed by the Freedom.

Even though you may not see a lot of posts in this regard on this forum - it is the view of MANY.
"You must some more reputation around before giving it to AZ_Rookie again"

Old 09-18-2016, 05:33 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Interesting thread and revival. What I find most interesting is that Arizona's very varied climate seems to affect folks about the same, in a way.

When I lived on "the mountain" (Show Low/Pinetop-Lakeside) folks would come up from "the valley" (Phoenix Metro area) during the summer and love it. Sometimes they would actually try to move their company/business. But once winter set in, by the time spring came around off they would scurry back down to the valley. When I moved up to "the mountain", folks didn't even really take me seriously until I was still there by the time the next winter was setting in. Likewise with these other folk whom I described in my previous sentence.

From what I'm reading in this thread, folks who move to "the valley" from all over seem to react very similarly. They love it during the winter, but once summer sets in, it seems to end up with a very similar transition. All they want to do is get the heck out.

But if one wants to actually pay attention, that is the total beauty of Arizona. If you live in the valley and can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen for a weekend and go up to the high country. It only takes 2-4 hours. If you live on the mountain and can't stand the cold, do the opposite. Same time frame.

But in actuality, Arizona is a terrible place to live, lol.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:37 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Anyone who has lived here more than a few years can see how it pans out 75% of the time (or more)... we hear "oooh, we vacationed there in February and LOVED IT!!! Cant wait to move there!" Then five years later we hear "the heat sucks so bad, everything is brown and boring, Phoenix is lame compared to NYC/Philly/Denver/LA/Chicago/Atlanta, and we're moving back." I swear, Phoenix has the highest transient rate in the nation. Rarely do people stay put over 10 years. I think the heat just takes its toll on people, and they end up missing the seasons. I admit Im a bit guilty of missing the seasons and badmouthing Phoenix (admit it, it does lack a lot), but if you come here just because you saw palm trees and visited in winter when its mild, doesnt mean youre going to like it in the long run.
1 year in Chicago with my family about 1973 "cured" me of Midwest winters.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I love Arizona. About the only thing that kept us from moving there was not finding a job back in 2008 when we were having a house built. Between 2008 and 2010 when prices seemed to drop everywhere we were able to buy a home in California on the coast, where I have lived all my life, minus any kind of seasons. Prefer the sun 100% of the time and the heat is no problem for me. Most of my family followed my parents out to the Valley and have all stayed there. It has now been over 13 years since my parents bought there home in Surprise. We have visited in the summer and in the winter and loved every minute of it. I can not say we stayed longer than a week at a time though so I am not the person to ask about longevity in the Valley.

Just about everyone has a different experience on how they react to any given area. You will see people complain in just about every forum. You will see cheerleaders for a given area in just about every forum. Both haters and lovers of an area. You will see people that have left and wish they can come back. You will see people that left and never wish to come back. Ideally someone that is looking to learn about an area can draw on the experience of each of these people and come to some kind of middle ground.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden91 View Post
AZ Rookie is 100% correct, political and social reasons is the main reason I'm moving to Arizona. I don't want to be around liberals or anti gun people. You are clueless. Phoenix is one of the most conservative big cities in the country, along with the Phoenix metro area. It is not moderate by any stretch. Joe Arpaio gets elected consistently, residents are sick of illegal immigration, and Trump is hugely popular in the area. Yeah, Phoenix sure sounds like a moderate or liberal city to me
Ah yes an expert who doesn't even live here yet

Phoenix itself is actually run by. . . Democrats wait wuh huh?!! Yup you heard it here.

Does it have Conservative suburbs? Well, I believe every metropolitan area does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I don't think Phoenix is moderate... Still right-leaning. You can not hate gay people and still lean to the right. Just like you can also hate weed and still lean to the left.

Tucson is considered a moderate Arizona city. Flagstaff is considered a liberal Arizona city.
Watch a statewide race. You'll have a Democrat running against a Republican. One will be from Tucson and one will be from Phoenix.

Look at statistics on civil jury verdicts. One will run average numbers and one will award a ton of money for injured people.

Tucson is our liberal wing, but like Phoenix the politics don't match the populace.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:00 AM

11 posts, read 9,595 times
It seems that the white people in Arizona are racially aware, which is a good thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ups4FeSuHvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4qVjZfPczw

Old 09-22-2016, 01:54 PM

11 posts, read 9,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
If you have a problem with Hispanic people why would you move to Phoenix?

Poster suggests to me that they're only Conservative as to guns and racism.

Because Phoenix is diverse, and diverse areas tend to have the most racially aware white people because they have to face the misery of living side by side with non whites daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona