Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM

860 posts, read 2,719,329 times

Advertisements

With kids I recommend the Yavapai overlook w/ museum. It has a neat bas-relief(dimensional) display about how the canyon was formed in stages over time. Plus you can enjoy the views safely behind glass with several telescopes - a more relaxed way to view the children. Surprisingly I do not recommend doing the I Max movie first. My 14 yr old remarked that it took away from seeing the canyon in person for the 1st time. Also my younger daughter rushed toward the edge of the canyon hoping to frolic on the egde like the Indian boy in the movie. Yikes!! But its a cool movie worth seeing, but go see the real deal first. I regretted not packing a picnic as well, as lots of families were picnicking around the rim.

We look forward to a train ride someday, but with 6 of us it was cost prohibitive. Other than lodging, its inexpensive and wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,709,252 times
Indeed, we go several times a year, but only because we are so close and we get in for free with a handicap pass.
I must admit if I had to fork over $25 every time I went in I would not like it.
It seems to me that years ago it was $5, but I cannot remember now.
I think $25 is two high, then again the shuttles that are very convenient have to be paid for somehow.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 PM

13,240 posts, read 21,867,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I think $25 is two high
So you'd prefer $23?

Like most or all of the national parks, your entrance fee is good for a week, if that's any consolation. You can buy a national park pass for $80 which will get you into any park for a year. If you're 62 or older, you can buy a "Golden Eagle" lifetime pass for something like $10 which will get you into every national park in the country for the rest of your life. Pretty amazing deal. I think most folks don't know that.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM

16 posts, read 24,129 times
If the Grand Canyon is the only national park you visit, you can get an annual pass for $50 for the Grand Canyon only.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,709,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So you'd prefer $23?

Like most or all of the national parks, your entrance fee is good for a week, if that's any consolation. You can buy a national park pass for $80 which will get you into any park for a year. If you're 62 or older, you can buy a "Golden Eagle" lifetime pass for something like $10 which will get you into every national park in the country for the rest of your life. Pretty amazing deal. I think most folks don't know that.

Just getting cheap in my old age I guess.
I must admit I did not know that was good for a week but I have not paid for many years with my military service connected disability handicap pass.
And and with that I get into any national park for free as noted previously.

And that pass if free and permanent, just like the disability unfortunately.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:08 PM

137 posts, read 521,343 times
Thank you all!

My one and only time there was when I was 6 and in the middle of August. And it was pretty hot and crowded there. Well at least to my 6 year old self. LOL

I get that the four seasons will all look different and I think a snow covered canyon would be very beautiful, but we all would be very disappointed to drive all the way there and the road end up being closed! So I think I will save a pretty winter trip for the next visit!

I was hoping for a "sweet spot" that is not too hot, won't "likely" be closed due to snow and doesn't have a billion people there. Sounds like April and October are the two best bets then!

Thanks again everyone!!!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,740,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonYellow View Post
Thank you all!

I get that the four seasons will all look different and I think a snow covered canyon would be very beautiful, but we all would be very disappointed to drive all the way there and the road end up being closed! So I think I will save a pretty winter trip for the next visit!

Thanks again everyone!!!!!
One of my all time favorite trips to The Canyon was via The Train during February a few years ago when snow was literally everywhere.

Also, a beautiful sight is looking down on clouds deep in The Canyon.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 PM

932 posts, read 1,965,812 times
My German exchange student went with a group up to the canyon back in March last years and they coudn't go down due to ice.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,165,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonYellow View Post
Best weather and least amount of people? Especially if you have kids?
Visit on a week day in a week that doesn't have any holiday weekends adjacent, either just before school begins summer vacation (May) or just after fall school sessions resume (September). Of course that does pose a problem about your own kids being in school.

Also, you might want to visit the North Rim which has fewer visitors and less traffic. Note that the North Rim is closed during the winter so verify it's open if you intend to visit early or late in the peak season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona