Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 AM

10 posts, read 57,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbpv View Post
Thanks for all the information about teaching at Pinon ... I currently live in a small fishing village in Mexico where I live in a palapa or palm house ... I have lived here for 10 years and have learned to live "simply" ... I have to take a boat to get home from the nearest shopping town where I buy my food in crude form ... I understand the humility, compassion, sharing, listening, patience, flexibility it takes to work with cultures that live "simply" and experience poverty-level conditions especially by "developed" nation standards and all that implies in terms of effect on a child's ability to learn. I am currenty in the process of creating an international organization that provides ed services to underserved populations internationally .. I think I would do well at Pinon ... BUT I still have not heard from a sped therapist / teacher who is currently working or has worked in Pinon in the past... Also does anyone know why the process for application is sooo rigid? ... I have all my docs ready but can't get all of them there at once since the fingerprinting form needs to be filled in az and my trans are in sealed envelopes ... I can get all other docs, certificates, letters there via fax and internet to show that I am qualified and would like to apply for the rest of this school year and possibly apply for a contract for next year but I currently only have enough funds to travel where there is a real job offer ... It seems like this school district is in need of qualified people who are willing to work in a pretty isolated place so why so rigid? ... Finally, what is the dog situation like? my dog has always run free ... thanks
It sounds like you would do well out here. I can't say much about the application requirements as I was already out here teaching when I moved to Pinon and had my Certification, Fingerprint Card, and so forth. I did come out here initially with only a phone call saying to come ASAP. We worked out the details when I got here LOL. Thinking back, it was quite a risk to just pack up and move without a contract or anything in writing, but it worked out for me. Best thing is to call and discuss matters with Human Resources. SPED people are always in demand out here, if not Pinon, then try Chinle School District or perhaps Kayenta.

As to dogs, we do have several teachers who let their dogs run and everyone knows them. Mine slip out occasionally, but I keep them in my house and fenced yard. There are a lot of "Rez dogs" running loose around the teacherage and when they get to be a problem there is a round up and they get rid of them. Your dogs need to have collars and ID tags to make sure they don't get picked up.

People tend to dump unwanted animals here because they hope the teachers will take them in. I've rescued several in the last five years, but there are so many. Right now there is a little Black dog hobbling around with one back leg broken and several gashes but I just can't take in another dog, especially one in that bad a shape. I hope someone else will help with this one.

Good luck with your job search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 AM

13 posts, read 38,375 times
The rigidity you speak of comes from the state requirements and the governing board. The high turnover rate is probably a component there as well.

This is my first year teaching and I intend to stay for quite a while. My partying years are far, far behind me so there isn't an issue with having to get to town as often as some people. It will also take a while to get the Arizona fingerprint certification done because the state has slashed a lot of jobs due to their awful budgeting situation.

Your dog will need to be walked or kept in your yard. Periodically, there is a round up of the loose animals. Most teachers are responsible enough to take care of their animals properly, but there are a few that are not.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,228 times
Default African American teachers at Pinon (any?)

Okay, i know it is a touchy topic but after reading everyone elses comments i guess mine is probably less controversal......Can anyone tell me how the students have reacted to African American teachers in the past, Be honest now, i'm from South Carolina so it ain't going to hurt

Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 PM

There are a couple of African American teachers here. As far as I have heard they are both very well liked by their students. The majority of teachers here are female, don't really think that makes a difference.
As long as the students know that you truly care about them and are here for them, at least at the elementary level, you get that back tenfold.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navajobound View Post
I am interested in teaching special ed or language/arts in the Pinon or Chinle area on the Dine nation. I have been to this area over ten times to teach VBS. I love the area and have friends among the Navajo that I consider second family. I am very aware of the isolation of the area. However, I love the beuty of the rez and the opportunity to be immersed in another culture in this country without moving overseas! I have a teaching certificate in both special ed and vocational agriculture. My desire is to teach special ed although I would consider teaching language arts or reading. Are there any opening right now in either Pinon or Chinle? I can not wait to go!
I know the Ag teacher just left, that is a high school position. There are several positions open here at Pinon. Just go to the website and get the application.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,228 times
Smile Images of Pinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilter64 View Post
There are a couple of African American teachers here. As far as I have heard they are both very well liked by their students. The majority of teachers here are female, don't really think that makes a difference.
As long as the students know that you truly care about them and are here for them, at least at the elementary level, you get that back tenfold.
I was wondering if there were any images of Pinon that i could access online or if anyone had any photos they could share with me. I am contemplating taking up a teaching position at the school and i am despite everything that has been mentioned, very excited bout the prospect. Hit me back if you can help.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,055 times
Default Oops!

Janet,
Don't you hate it when you think your are anonymous and then... You should never, ever, use your real name online. Ever. For anything. Don't worry, the chance that your Pinon reference is screwed up is very slim.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdownblues View Post
I just want to say that after teaching here this year, everything she said is correct. The students lie, cheat, steal and curse at teachers. The students do fight in the classrooms. The administration has their hands tied and cannot get rid of the students who do not deserve an education. There are many teachers who have been here a long time and love it. They do not seem to mind that the students don't do what they are told. It has been a horrible experience for me.
lodownblues - Are you a teacher? Holy smokes. If so, you should not be! Since when do some kids not "deserve an education"?! Every child deserves an education. I have worked with extreme at-risk kids for years and have had my share of the scenarios. But never have I known a kid, even the most violent, who do not deserve an education. I do not believe that child exists. I think what kids do not deserve is a teacher who judges them by their poor behavior instead of focusing on change and potential.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,452 times
I would love to teach in Pinon however I currently have a CA Credential, what does it take to get this transfered to a AZ credential?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 AM

123 posts, read 263,416 times
Does anyone know that if you were to be a teacher in Pinon would you be allowed to fish/hunt on the reservation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona