Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:22 PM

7 posts, read 24,664 times

Advertisements

Okay, my family and i are ready to move from DC to AZ, and we are in a toss up about where exactly in the state. Our first choice is Tucson, then everything else comes next. I've searched this forum, and the only consistent thing i have seen is that traffic sucks, and there are alot of "snowbirds". being from the Metro DC region, I've been heavily involved in some of the worst traffic in the country, so that is not my concern. What I would like, is some up-to-date feed back on the Tucson area, for my search has only uncovered 2006ish answers.

My situation is as follows; we are a young family, Myself 26, my fiance 29, our daughter 4 months old. we are also an interracial couple, she is black, I am white. I am a Photographer, and she works for Raytheon, but will be willing to work anywhere really. We will be renting for now, I've heard that the northwest area is the best, so that is where we would be looking. We will be visiting around the end of May.

Any information on small Arizona towns that might fit our lifestyle will be greatly appreciated. Anywhere in Arizona! really I hate the humid summers and cold winters here in DC and we are looking for that change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:56 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,104,044 times
If you have your heart set on Tucson, and she is going to transfer within Raytheon. Vail or Sahuarita seem to be popular (both of which are little more than suburbs of Tucson). It probably depends on where you will work and how you will be able to cope with the inevitable rise in gas prices. Rita Ranch as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLucas View Post
Okay, my family and i are ready to move from DC to AZ, and we are in a toss up about where exactly in the state. Our first choice is Tucson, then everything else comes next. I've searched this forum, and the only consistent thing i have seen is that traffic sucks, and there are alot of "snowbirds". being from the Metro DC region, I've been heavily involved in some of the worst traffic in the country, so that is not my concern. What I would like, is some up-to-date feed back on the Tucson area, for my search has only uncovered 2006ish answers.

My situation is as follows; we are a young family, Myself 26, my fiance 29, our daughter 4 months old. we are also an interracial couple, she is black, I am white. I am a Photographer, and she works for Raytheon, but will be willing to work anywhere really. We will be renting for now, I've heard that the northwest area is the best, so that is where we would be looking. We will be visiting around the end of May.

Any information on small Arizona towns that might fit our lifestyle will be greatly appreciated. Anywhere in Arizona! really I hate the humid summers and cold winters here in DC and we are looking for that change.
Wash DC native here as well; born/raised.

Suffice to say: I left DC in 1978 for California then for Az in 1989 and have yet to return even for a visit.

My recommendation is to come here in person and follow your gut.

IMHO you would be wise taking a hard look at the Phx area as well: despite it being 5 degrees warmer in the summer than Tucson (still not worse than DC summers admittedly), the cost of living is similar (or cheaper) than Tucson and wages tend to be higher. Plus Phx is definitely more cosmopolitan.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:28 PM

66 posts, read 337,403 times
We are looking to move to the Tucson area from DC (lived here 40 + years) and like the Vail area. We visited summer of 2007 and looked at homes in the Vail area. We plan on visiting Tucson this November since we haven't been out in the cooler months. Jobs seem to be harder to find in the Tucson area IMHO (higher salaries).

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1 View Post
We are looking to move to the Tucson area from DC (lived here 40 + years) and like the Vail area. We visited summer of 2007 and looked at homes in the Vail area. We plan on visiting Tucson this November since we haven't been out in the cooler months. Jobs seem to be harder to find in the Tucson area IMHO (higher salaries).

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!
Unless you are in a field that requires a 4 yr+ degree.........you are correct that Tucson wages are mostly bad.

I lived there in 2003 and the wages there were insulting to say the least-------------hell, I made more money in Bullhead City (same line of work) which is out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Wash DC native here as well; born/raised.

Suffice to say: I left DC in 1978 for California then for Az in 1989 and have yet to return even for a visit.

My recommendation is to come here in person and follow your gut.

IMHO you would be wise taking a hard look at the Phx area as well: despite it being 5 degrees warmer in the summer than Tucson (still not worse than DC summers admittedly), the cost of living is similar (or cheaper) than Tucson and wages tend to be higher. Plus Phx is definitely more cosmopolitan.
We will be headed out in May to check out the particulars. We also have Phoenix on the table, some friends of ours live out there, myself, I am more interested in Tucson because of the outdoor aspect, I believe it will work good for my photography. But, like I said, I am open to ALL areas of AZ, just because I'm tired of the HUMID SUMMERS, and the COLD winter lol.

BUT, with all that said, Tucson is still on top of the list, because of Raytheon. It seems near impossible to have an AZ employer look at your resume if you do not already live in the state (we have tried and tried).

Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
We will be headed out in May to check out the particulars. We also have Phoenix on the table, some friends of ours live out there, myself, I am more interested in Tucson because of the outdoor aspect, I believe it will work good for my photography. But, like I said, I am open to ALL areas of AZ, just because I'm tired of the HUMID SUMMERS, and the COLD winter lol.

BUT, with all that said, Tucson is still on top of the list, because of Raytheon. It seems near impossible to have an AZ employer look at your resume if you do not already live in the state (we have tried and tried).
Phoenix has more of the outdoor aspect than Tucson. Tucson has a mountain range on the skyline and this is nice, but overall Phoenix has more. Phoenix is closer to the AZ high country and lakes red rocks,Grand Canyon, above and below the Rim, Lake Powell country. Phoenix has a lot more in town hiking than Tucson. Phoenix has thousands of acres of mountain parks in every quadrant. Phoenix has mountains right inside the urban complex. Phoenix has wetlands with all sorts of birds (Gila River) west of town. The deserts just NE of Phoenix are every bit as nice as anything around Tucson except Saguaro NP. One good thing Tucson has less of is people, though.

Of course, if my job were in Tucson, that would be end of discussion.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 03-30-2009 at 08:30 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Phoenix has more of the outdoor aspect than Tucson. Tucson has a mountain range on the skyline and this is nice, but overall Phoenix has more. Phoenix is closer to the AZ high country and lakes red rocks,Grand Canyon, above and below the Rim, Lake Powell country. Phoenix has a lot more in town hiking than Tucson. Phoenix has thousands of acres of mountain parks in every quadrant. Phoenix has mountains right inside the urban complex. Phoenix has wetlands with all sorts of birds (Gila River) west of town. The deserts just NE of Phoenix are every bit as nice as anything around Tucson except Saguaro NP. One good thing Tucson has less of is people, though.

Of course, if my job were in Tucson, that would be end of discussion.
Quote:

Having a comfortable job in Tucson (especially factoring in its much cheaper housing compared to DC) would be a trump card in its favor.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 PM

40 posts, read 120,314 times
One thing to consider, especially since you're a young interracial couple, is that Tucson is friendly, welcoming and more laid back than Phoenix. Now I'm not dissing Phoenix, mind you, but I find the people here in Tucson to be the absolute best (well, maybe not while driving), and Tucson itself has an open, friendly vibe. People move here because they want to - it's sunny and beautiful, and that makes them happy. And you can't beat the outdoor activities - the hiking is superb. There are four major mountain ranges to choose from, depending on the time of year. And lots of open desert to explore, as well.

I would recommend against the NW area because it would add greatly to your wife's commute, especially given the ongoing I-10 construction. I don't really have an opinion about Vail or Sahuarita - if you like them, great. They seem a little remote to me. Good luck in your search.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:49 AM

well the time has come, and we will be off to Tucson shortly (hopefully within the next 2 months), and i've only got a few questions left.

1. how pricey are the cabs in Tucson? i believe i will be selling my car before the move, and be with out one for up to a month.

2. i've done apartment searches on apartments.com, but i just cant get as specific as i'd like. we want an apartment in either Sahuarita, Vail, or Oro Valley. preferably Sahuarita or vail, because my fiance works for raytheon. any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona