Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,457 times

Advertisements

The Grand Canyon Chapter of the American Red Cross has fired or transferred all staff members assigned to Yuma and La Paz Counties. The Chapter is considering closing the office in Yuma. Emergency/disaster needs--residential fires, floods, earthquakes, and so forth--which leave families without food, shelter, and clothing would be met by local Red Cross volunteers. The closest staff backup at present is in Phoenix, 185 miles away.

There are currently five (5) volunteers in Yuma and La Paz Counties who respond to emergencies/disasters. It is an impossible task for us. I'm looking for volunteers and community members who are willing to step forward to support us in keeping a meaningful Red Cross presence in Yuma and La Paz Counties.

Please let us know what you could do! Thanks.

pak803@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 PM

148 posts, read 757,880 times
What is required of a volunteer? My job keeps me out of town 8-10 nights a month so I doubt that I would be a good candidate but my wife might be interested.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,457 times
Good evening, JetSet! My answer to you has to be "It depends!" If you want to be on the local Disaster Action Team, you will sign up to be on call with a team of experienced responders. When the team gets a call from local emergency responders (usually fire departments) you will go to the scene, evaluate the clients' needs and authorize immediate assistance with food, shelter, and clothing. Each call can take two or more hours--and we can get calls at any time day or night. But you control which days you choose to be on call. And no one has to be on call more than is reasonable for him or her.

Other volunteers choose Mass Care, an area in which they prepare for sheltering and feeding large groups of evacuees. Right now the Grand Canyon Chapter is providing Mass Care services on the Mogollon Rim to folks who are suffering floods from our current storms.

There are many other options for service at the Chapter and National levels. For example, ham radio operators are an integral part of responses as they use Red Cross communications equipment to tie various responding agencies together.

Red Cross is a bureaucracy and it has to protect clients and the organization, so volunteers have a pretty extensive application process to go through. Then there are courses to provide you with the knowledge to do the work. We would help you jump through all the hoops!

I hope I've answered your question. You might want to check out the Chapter at Home | American Red Cross Grand Canyon Chapter

Pat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona