Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 PM

89 posts, read 505,108 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get an idea of car insurance. Here (Ohio) I am paying $100 a month for a 07 Prius and and 07 Honda Element for the basic coverage. I have a $500 deductible and I have it with Nationwide.

What am I facing there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 07:13 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummersEve View Post
I'm trying to get an idea of car insurance. Here (Ohio) I am paying $100 a month for a 07 Prius and and 07 Honda Element for the basic coverage. I have a $500 deductible and I have it with Nationwide.

What am I facing there?
Great question, SummersEve

My premiums are about the same as yous but both of my vehicles are considered "high risk" and I carry maximum coverage. If that is any gauge then I would imagine insurance in Arizona may be a little cheaper.

With insurance quotes so readily available on the internet, have you considered that route? Try www.geico.com and www.progressive.com or even www.nationwide.com.

That would eliminate ranges and guesses.

Good Luck

Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Sounds like you are paying very little for car insurance. I used to pay $125 per month for ONE newer car (now I pay $80/month for a 98 Lexus). It depends on you of course, age, any previous tickets/accidents, the car you drive and then it depends on which zip code you live in. You can see BIG increases in different parts of the city.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 PM

Wow, that's expensive. Before we had these cars we had 2 new BMW's (at the time they were new) and were paying $60 for each one per month. One was a 325(new) and the other was a X-5 (new). We are in the 30's and no tickets.

I remember hearing AZ (probably Phoenix) has the highest theft rate for cars. That might be why.

Bummer, I know I can get quotes on line but the minute you go to one of those sites the junk mail starts to roll in both my mail box as well as email. They make you enter a TON of info to get the accurate quote. So I would rather ask in here to avoid that head ache! You know what I mean?

Anyway, thanks the the posts.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:00 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Wow, that's expensive. Before we had these cars we had 2 new BMW's (at the time they were new) and were paying $60 for each one per month. One was a 325(new) and the other was a X-5 (new). We are in the 30's and no tickets.

I remember hearing AZ (probably Phoenix) has the highest theft rate for cars. That might be why.

Bummer, I know I can get quotes on line but the minute you go to one of those sites the junk mail starts to roll in both my mail box as well as email. They make you enter a TON of info to get the accurate quote. So I would rather ask in here to avoid that head ache! You know what I mean?

Anyway, thanks the the posts.

SummersEve I love it, great name

Not only does Phoenix have a high rate of car theft, they have a high rate of unlicensed and uninsured motorist crashing into you.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:29 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Gotcha, SummersEve

I've never requested an online quote and now I know about the negatives . . . THANKS.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:30 PM

Sheena, you are the first one to notice the name LOL I thought it was funny

I never thought about uninsured motorists. I take it you don't have to show your insurance card when you get your tags there? I mean is this not a given as a way to cut that out?

Funny how the honest, hardworking people always have to pay the price for the scum, you know?

Bummer: Yes, it is horrible. Once they get part of your info it is like opening the gates.

You know I have a fake name I always use online when a place asks me to register for things like that. I mean you know insurance companies are going to stalk you. Then I just sit back and watch the mail to arrive at my home with that name on it and I know my name got sold AND I can cross it out and honestly put on it " Return to sender not at this address" and let them pay the return postage too. There is No "Mrs. Red Weene" that lives here LOL

Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,062 times
Sorry, but the only way to get an accurate quote is through an insurance co. I've bought insurance every way possible in the past, by phone, internet, personal referrals. Junk mail - e and/snail - is a part of life. One thing I can tell you is shop around. It is amazing the wide range of quotes from company to company. I've even had quotes from the same company change from morning to afternoon on the internet. It's a screwed up industry as far a pricing goes, no different than airline tickets.

I've found that most companies start jacking up rates after a few years, counting on the customers not wanting to go through the hassle of shopping rates again. Because of this I generally change companies every few years. Right now I'm in my first year with Liberty Mutual because they saved me over $1000 a year over AIG (2yrs), which had beaten AAA Ins (5 yrs), which was cheaper than Safeco (2yrs) and on and on. The next cheapest this last go around was MetLife which was about $500 less than AIG, the most expensive was Progressive which was almost $1000 more than AIG (adding my teen-aged son apparently scared them the most). Geico came in third, a whopping $4.00 per year cheaper than AIG. Even with 5 vehicles I think a two thousand dollar swing from highest to lowest quote is crazy.

Have fun and good luck!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:26 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
I've found that most companies start jacking up rates after a few years, counting on the customers not wanting to go through the hassle of shopping rates again. Because of this I generally change companies every few years. Right now I'm in my first year with Liberty Mutual because they saved me over $1000 a year over AIG (2yrs), which had beaten AAA Ins (5 yrs), which was cheaper than Safeco (2yrs) and on and on. The next cheapest this last go around was MetLife which was about $500 less than AIG, the most expensive was Progressive which was almost $1000 more than AIG (adding my teen-aged son apparently scared them the most). Geico came in third, a whopping $4.00 per year cheaper than AIG. Even with 5 vehicles I think a two thousand dollar swing from highest to lowest quote is crazy.

Have fun and good luck!
That's interesting. I think this happened with my BF with Allstate. He was with them for 14 years and was paying outrageous amounts thinking after all these years no other good company would come close to beating his rates. Well, he ended switching to my State Farm agent and saving $1000/year. Needless to say, we were both pretty mad at Allstate.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Sheena, you are the first one to notice the name LOL I thought it was funny

I never thought about uninsured motorists. I take it you don't have to show your insurance card when you get your tags there? I mean is this not a given as a way to cut that out?

Funny how the honest, hardworking people always have to pay the price for the scum, you know?

Bummer: Yes, it is horrible. Once they get part of your info it is like opening the gates.

You know I have a fake name I always use online when a place asks me to register for things like that. I mean you know insurance companies are going to stalk you. Then I just sit back and watch the mail to arrive at my home with that name on it and I know my name got sold AND I can cross it out and honestly put on it " Return to sender not at this address" and let them pay the return postage too. There is No "Mrs. Red Weene" that lives here LOL

Yes I noticed that name right away, cracked me up

Yes you have to show your insurance card but we have lots of people out on the road driving with bad plates and no license. Sometimes they steal your stickers off your plate and stick it on theirs. My father had his sticker stolen once and my husband had it stolen off his truck once on a job site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: