Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,072,138 times

Advertisements

Well, now I am switching PCPs for sure. Had enough of their silly rules. Got a call about my blood work results (cholesterol is high). Yah, well, I knew that. But they refuse to send me the results in the mail. Have to sign a release to get the results. What? Its my medical history and my medical results. It was even my blood they tested. I pointed this out to the receptionist who said " We will need a self addressed stamped envelope to mail it." Is this being cheap or what ?

I have signed their release form enough times just to get a copy of my own lab results. This time I am done. Changing docs today.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,165,868 times
The title of your post is rather misleading, unless you left something out of your rant. I don't see where anyone refused to give you your records. What am I missing here?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM

205 posts, read 573,063 times
Its just HIPAA stuff. Most places will no longer mail actual results. Too many people can get intercept the mail, its not certified. Go to the office, sign the release, and they will give them to you on the spot.

They are just protecting their own butts. If they were to send out a detailed copy of your results and someone else got them, you could technically sue them for breaching doctor/patient confidentiality.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,219,879 times
When I get a blood test, I automatically get the results along with my Doctor. The last set of blood tests I got, were special and they were sent to my Doctor and she sent them to me. Wow, I have never signed any kind of release form. I can understand your frustration.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:27 AM

Kimballette: I see it as a refusal because I have to go into their office, sign a release and don't understand why my verbal release is not good enough. If I were requesting records of someone else, then yes, I would agree there should be a release. But these are MY records. The phone call was to ME from the doctors office. What they want is for me to schedule an appointment to come into the office and see the doctor. This is unnecessary. All I want is to see the lab results and keep a copy in my own records. I don't think this is ranting.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,165,868 times
OK, now I understand. As Smurf said, it's just a HIPAA thing. They hate for anything to be strictly verbal these days. It may be irritating, but they didn't deny you access. Just sign on the dotted line. And the doctor probably wants an opportunity to discuss the results with you.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 AM

I HAVE already discussed this with this doctor at least 5 times.
His conclusion is : Go on statin drugs.
My conclusion is: I will find another doctor who isn't so reliant on prescription meds.
But, I don't want to have to see him (or his office staff) again, ever.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 AM

205 posts, read 573,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I HAVE already discussed this with this doctor at least 5 times.
His conclusion is : Go on statin drugs.
My conclusion is: I will find another doctor who isn't so reliant on prescription meds.
But, I don't want to have to see him (or his office staff) again, ever.
To help you with this, technically by the books a D.O. will try better at correcting your situation more naturally whereas an M.D. is more likely to prescribe. Not saying this is always the case with all doctors of either accreditation, but it is what is more or less the norm.

If you want to steer clear of meds and try more natural solutions, seek a Holistic Medical Doctor.

Hope this helps a little bit!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
It is a HIPAA and liability issue, they want the release in writing to keep for their own records so they can show that they had permission to release the records. They can actually be audited for compliance, I think, so they are covering their bases. I don't see what the big deal is about that, frankly. I know you don't like this Dr., but if you ever need to do the same thing with another doctor, they are going to make the same request, quite likely. And, this is not a Phoenix or Arizona issue.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 26,033,205 times
Still strange to me. I get a blood test and depending what they are checking for I and my PCP start getting results by the time I get home which is only 1/2 away. I don't have to sign anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona