Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:02 PM

7 posts, read 17,319 times

Advertisements

So I will be travelling to the Grand Canyon for a few days. I've heard that Lake Havasu is famous for its parties. However, I will be there on a weekday (Mon-Wednesday). At this point in our road trip, we do not want seclusion...we want to be able to be around people because prior to going to the Grand Canyon, we will have spent over 1 week backpacking. So my question is, even with it being a weekday, will it still be worth it to pay the fees to go camp in Lake Havasu? I know it's not gonna be a spring break atmosphere and I really don't mind that at all...however, if we go there on weekdays, will there still be quite a few people around in nearby campsites or will it just be dead quiet? If not for Lake Havasu, where else can we camp near the Grand Canyon that would allow us to mingle with civilization?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 04:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,068,367 times
if doing this in the next few weeks, you'll have all of Lake Havasu to yourself (almost) as it's often the hot spot of the nation!!.....

also, LHC is not very near the Grand Canyon....a several-hours drive, actually....

if you want some civilization near the Canyon, try Williams, Flagstaff, Sedona, or Tusayan....public land for free primitive camping down some dirt road, or Forest Service campgrounds for a fee, or private KOA-type places, and the usual touristy hotels/motels

Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,478,522 times
Take a look at Haulapai Mountain Park south of Kingman. Much cooler than Havasu this time of the year. Plenty of camping and hiking to be had.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:19 PM

58 posts, read 189,013 times
Camping? LOL At 118, you'll need to take the party indoors, or party alone.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
Take a look at Haulapai Mountain Park south of Kingman. Much cooler than Havasu this time of the year. Plenty of camping and hiking to be had.
wife n a friend n her g'kids spent the day at HMP Sat and it was spectacular she said

Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,478,522 times
Great it is a area of Kingman that most are not aware of and much cooler

Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,719,897 times
Whatever you do, drive the extra few hours east on I 40 to Williams and hop on up to South Rim/ Grand Canyon Village.

My opinion. DO NOT waste your time on the ridiculous absurdities involved with West Rim/Skywalk. First of all. You may ruin your suspension or get a flat tire on 15 miles of dirt roads. Next, you have to park several miles from the Skywalk for $30 which involves hopping on a bus. Here's the kicker. You have to PAY the staff at Skywalk $25 to take a picture. Yes, you CANNOT use your personal camera at this location. Costs about $25 to walk on the glass too.

OTOH, you pay $25 near Tusayan (or buy the $25 pass in Valle so you get in quicker at the prepaid lane) when you enter South Rim. If you don't have the $80 National Park Yearly Pass, consider paying $50 for a years worth of visits to South Rim too if you plan on several visits. Regardless, it's $25 and that is it. Parking is free. Shuttle buses are free. Taking pictures with your own camera is free. Hiking Bright Angel Trail is free.

That is the difference between going to a National Park and a Reservation to see The Canyon.

Last edited by magnum0417; 08-16-2012 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 AM

Yup, co-workers of the wife's just got raked over at the west rim. Said the nickel and diming took all the enjoyment out. Nail you for everything.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:02 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,839,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverock View Post
Yup, co-workers of the wife's just got raked over at the west rim. Said the nickel and diming took all the enjoyment out. Nail you for everything.
No they don't. They have a selection of fixed-price packages that are inclusive of a range of activities that can keep you busy for a day. That includes things like shuttle buses to take you out to the viewpoints, lots of native American exhibits, dance performances, a recreated western village, and even lunch at your choice of various venues. Those packages are listed here: Grand Canyon West - Tours and Adventures

Everything is spelled out up front, nothing nefarious, no hidden charges. Yes, they do have have a few concessions, like natives selling jewelry. And yes, getting your picture taken on the Skywalk by an Indian photographer is one of them. But claiming they "nickel and dime you for everything", is a gross exaggeration and not accurate. I've taken my family there and thought it was a worthwhile way to spend a day. The views are awesome without having guard-rails all over the place (good and bad, I suppose), and you will get an exposure to native American culture that is hard to find anywhere else. I personally recommend it.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM

Again, not my personal exaggeration but a perspective from a family who was just there. Similar post on this thread gives their opinion some credit. Whats "fair" for costs is subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona