Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:16 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times

Advertisements

Having come here from NY, I am very grateful that I no longer have to deal with the scam known as NYS Auto Inspection annually. It's a bureaucratic scam meant to line the pockets of the State and Auto Shops. States such as Texas have annual inspections whereas nowhere west of there does. Utah does every other year and that is it. Some states such as NJ discontinued the scam so maybe others will follow.

I cannot begin to tell you how many thousands I have been forced to pay over the years for insignificant auto inspection issues. NY fails you if your check engine light is on. It has nothing to do with emissions either. If an O2 sensor or some other sensor isn't responding, you fail. Then they tell you it costs $600 in labor and parts to put an O2 sensor in. One year, I even failed on a one year old SUV because they found something wrong with a windshield wiper that was perfectly fine. The mechanic likely tore it just to find something to get an extra $20 out of me.

Not a surprise outside of Texas that the state's that primarily have annual auto inspections are state's people are leaving in droves due to the State Governments gauging residents with every little thing they can find. Mainly Mid Atlantic, Northeastern and New England States.

I'm curious to hear of anyone that WANTS auto inspections annually in AZ and why. Most accidents are caused by inexperience and/or stupidity. Not mechanical issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you asking if anyone wants it to be mandatory in all of AZ? If that is your question, I vote "no". Then again, I don't think it should be mandatory anywhere.

Right now, it depends upon where you live in AZ, whether or not you need to have emissions testing done. If you look at this map, you will see areas of Maricopa, Pima, Pinal and Yavapai Counties which require them.

In TX, the state requires safety inspections, but the need for emissions testing is determined by county. For example, if you live in Collin or Dallas County, you need both. If you live in Grayson County, you only need to have a safety inspection performed, (no emissions).

If a 1996 or newer vehicle requires an emissions test in either AZ or TX, it will not pass if the check engine light is on.

Last edited by CheyDee; 12-26-2012 at 01:23 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 02:17 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
I'm on the fence about this, actually. People should have their vehicles inspected for problems regularly, but many don't. I would be in favor of this if it were low cost, and if it was a bit more official than what other states do.

Going to an independent shop that is "certified" to do an inspection just seems shady. If I could have it done at the official DEQ emission testing facility, I would be okay with it. I realize that would require a lot of manpower on the state's part. So it probably won't happen.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:09 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
We had inspections here, MANY years ago. (I was a child). I think it was more safety issues than mechanical. I would not mind seeing them come back again, run properly and at a low cost.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:44 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Well, we have inspections every 2 yrs here sort of. Nowadays they hook your car's computer up to their computer. One of my friends had her car fail the emissions inspection. Nothing to do with the emissions but the check engine light had left an entry in the computer. They said she had to fix the problem before the car could pass.

Several years ago, before they were hooking up to your computer, my Dad's vehicle failed. The emissions had already passed but it failed the inspection part. He did almost all his own mechanical work so asked them what had failed. They refused to tell him. He took it home, inspected it himself and found that he had disconnected something, I forget what but non-critical, and had forgotten to reconnect it. Reconnected it went back and passed.

Yeah, just my opinion, but I have a hard time believing anymore that these tests have anything to do with the environment or safety.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:43 AM

308 posts, read 791,377 times
Magnum, most people here won't realize what you mean by an inspection. They are thinking it's just the emissions test. I know what you are talking about, having moved here from NY as well. They basically hold your car hostage, scraping the sticker off before your inspection and then "finding" some "safety issue" you need to fix before getting a new sticker.

I have been on quite a few accident scenes and have yet to have one caused by faulty equipment. Faulty drivers are a much bigger problem.

I vote a big NO to annual inspections, but the state needs money so we may end up having to deal with them.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM

710 posts, read 3,392,140 times
Nope. I left an overregulated state 10 years ago and chose AZ because I liked how the state does business.

Last thing we need is yet another transplant to AZ demanding that we adopt one of the many nonsense laws from their home state, because "that's the way we do it there..."

Who would go over to a friend's for dinner, and suggest they rearrange their living room- only a NYer or Chi-town refugee

Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Being a Car / Truck Guy, Magnum . . . I fully understand your position.

Unfortunately, many vehicle owners "drive 'em until they drop" totally ignoring emission standards, inoperative lights and extremely dangerous "aging" tires to name just a few safety issues. You are absolutely correct concerning the "stupidity" issue being a major factor but have you checked your tires lately? Believe me, many have not and are driving on tires more than 6 years old, regardless of mileage or physical appearance. Most all "experts" agree driving on old tires, especially at freeway speeds, is an accident just waiting to happen.

Any ideas how many "single vehicle roll-overs" on I-10 are directly related to "old" tires?

I am definitely not excited about Annual Vehicle Inspections, however, I fully understand the need primarily for the safety and well being of the general public.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Being a Car / Truck Guy, Magnum . . . I fully understand your position.

Unfortunately, many vehicle owners "drive 'em until they drop" totally ignoring emission standards, inoperative lights and extremely dangerous "aging" tires to name just a few safety issues. You are absolutely correct concerning the "stupidity" issue being a major factor but have you checked your tires lately? Believe me, many have not and are driving on tires more than 6 years old, regardless of mileage or physical appearance. Most all "experts" agree driving on old tires, especially at freeway speeds, is an accident just waiting to happen.

Any ideas how many "single vehicle roll-overs" on I-10 are directly related to "old" tires?

I am definitely not excited about Annual Vehicle Inspections, however, I fully understand the need primarily for the safety and well being of the general public.
Like any profession, there are percentages of unethical people involved as is the case with Auto Mechanics. Fortunately, I found a good mom and pop place in Tempe that I know doesn't charge for unnecessary repairs. Some mechanics would take the annual inspections as a license to "hold vehicles hostage" in order to increase profits by duping customers into unnecessary repairs in order to pass.

As the saying goes, "you get more flies with honey." The places I detest are the chain places back east. Those are the ones that really looked for ANYTHING to rake money out of you for some trumped up inspection issues. People done over by such places don't forget and detest those shops. So the question is, does a few extra dollars offset the loss of residual business from that customer ?

Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
90% or more of auto repair shops in the Phoenix metro are crooks who try to sell you needless repairs. The last thing we need is mandatory visits to these rip off artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona