Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM

148 posts, read 265,373 times

Advertisements

I ask this question because I did not see as many coffee places as I have seen in other states, and I just thought it was because of the hot weather. Am I totally wrong ? Do coffee businesses not do very well in Arizona compared to other places ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM

33 posts, read 68,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj-rk1 View Post
I ask this question because I did not see as many coffee places as I have seen in other states, and I just thought it was because of the hot weather. Am I totally wrong ? Do coffee businesses not do very well in Arizona compared to other places ?
I've noticed no shortage of coffee shops. There's a Starbucks on every corner and I have also seen a decent amount of independent shops.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Iced coffee is unusually popular. At least with me. Give it a try.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM

181 posts, read 439,527 times
Summer of 2011 KKD was selling large coffees all day for 25 cents. That still didn't save them from shutting down, so the answer to your question is probably yes.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExChicagoan View Post
I've noticed no shortage of coffee shops. There's a Starbucks on every corner and I have also seen a decent amount of independent shops.
Then you have never been to the Pacific Northwest. Up there they have a Starbucks on every corner surrounded by three independent places. Stand alone coffee places are not nearly as popular here but you can find starbucks in most grocery stores down here.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrey View Post
Summer of 2011 KKD was selling large coffees all day for 25 cents. That still didn't save them from shutting down, so the answer to your question is probably yes.
Because a doughnut shop couldn't be salvaged by offering coffee that's almost free, AZ drink less coffee? Interesting logic there.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Then you have never been to the Pacific Northwest. Up there they have a Starbucks on every corner surrounded by three independent places. Stand alone coffee places are not nearly as popular here but you can find starbucks in most grocery stores down here.
I've spent a lot of time in Seattle. Just because we don't have as many coffee shops as the coffee capital of the country doesn't mean there's a shortage here, nor is it necessarily an indicator that AZ drinks less. We may, but comparing us to the PNW doesn't mean anything.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 PM

181 posts, read 439,527 times
Quote:
Because a doughnut shop couldn't be salvaged by offering coffee that's almost free, AZ drink less coffee? Interesting logic there.
that "doughnut shop" was a Wall St darling, with very popular coffee, at a very prominent location. Diuretics and 110 degree heat just don't mix. Don't discount the Mormon factor, also.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
I've spent a lot of time in Seattle. Just because we don't have as many coffee shops as the coffee capital of the country doesn't mean there's a shortage here, nor is it necessarily an indicator that AZ drinks less. We may, but comparing us to the PNW doesn't mean anything.
Sure it does, it means there are not as many as there are in the PNW.

I'm only aware of one stand alone coffee shop in the town I live in (Goodyear). There are starbucks in the grocery stores but Ground Control is the only coffee shop I know of. Used to have Blue Sky Coffee but they didn't make it and went out of business.

I think is is a safe bet to say coffee isn't as popular here as it is in other places. Sure people drink coffee but you don't see everyone carrying it like you do in other places.

I spent 26 years in the military and lived in a lot of places and there are by far the fewest coffee places here then others places I've lived in the last 10 years.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrey View Post
that "doughnut shop" was a Wall St darling, with very popular coffee, at a very prominent location. Diuretics and 110 degree heat just don't mix. Don't discount the Mormon factor, also.
There's a Krispy Kreme near my house that seems to be busy most of the time. I would guess that the health-consciousness of Arizonans played a larger role in the location that you're referring to's closing than low demand for coffee. Interesting comment on the Mormon factor. Never thought about that. Although I think they're now "allowed" to drink caffeine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Sure it does, it means there are not as many as there are in the PNW.

I'm only aware of one stand alone coffee shop in the town I live in (Goodyear). There are starbucks in the grocery stores but Ground Control is the only coffee shop I know of. Used to have Blue Sky Coffee but they didn't make it and went out of business.

I think is is a safe bet to say coffee isn't as popular here as it is in other places. Sure people drink coffee but you don't see everyone carrying it like you do in other places.

I spent 26 years in the military and lived in a lot of places and there are by far the fewest coffee places here then others places I've lived in the last 10 years.
There are definitely fewer coffee shops in the valley than there are in the PNW.

Last edited by ExChicagoan; 01-28-2013 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona