Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:38 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

When i travel from Phoenix to Tucson i want my car when i am in Tucson.

No way will i take a train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:32 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The much-hyped High Speed Rail (HSR) systems that the people with big dreams like to speculate about have been successful only in Japan (which began construction only a few years after the Second World War left everything in ruins) and France (where the capital city dominates the economy much more than in Britain, Germany, or Italy). China, Germany and Spain are developing systems, but under a different set of rules.

In America we have the Boston-Washington Northeast Corridor, which has been under development for nearly fifty years, and California has pushed its plans for a San Diego - Los Angeles - Bay Area - Sacramento corridor to the point where it's not likely to be scuttled.

But Arizona is a very different market, mostly because the territory between the two "anchor" cities isn't that congested -- not many prospects for the intermediate travel which makes a good case for the Washington-Atlanta and Richmond-Florida corridors which seem to be the next to emerge.

Assuming that a continued long-term rise in the price petroleum forces us into smaller vehicles which would be increasingly unsuited to journeys of 50 miles or more, I'd suggest expansion of the light-rail options which have caught on in a lot of Western U S cities. The "bullet trains" envisioned by the dreamers are a little too exotic.
I tend to agree ... especially about the need for a bullet train between Phoenix and Tucson. There is a heavy amount of traffic between Phoenix and Tucson, but a lot of it is big rig truck traffic, so the solution is to widen Interstate 10 into an eight lane freeway. I believe ADOT has made it six lanes most of the way, but that still isn't going to be enough when looking at the big picture.

High speed trains could work, but not between Phoenix and Tucson. I'd much rather see links between Phoenix and L.A., and/or Phoenix and Las Vegas. Light rail wouldn't be effective for long travel commutes ... that is more suited for commute within urban/suburban areas ... not between two large cities that have a considerable amount of distance between them.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,260 times
Is the light rail self sustainable? Or just a homeless shelter on wheels.....

Driving through St Louis, the elevated lightrail cars are always empty.... It runs for a few miles along I 70 and I 64.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:10 PM

And I have never seen traffic jams on I 10 between Phoenix and Tuscon, it runs smoothly.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 PM

Santiago de Compostela train crash: CCTV captures moment of derailment - video | World news | guardian.co.uk

And proponants in CA talked within minutes this can not happen in CA.... It would be failproof, like the state.

Sure.. the Titanic couldn't sink......, banks can not fail, Enron stocks are a sure bet...

Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Is the light rail self sustainable? Or just a homeless shelter on wheels.....

Driving through St Louis, the elevated lightrail cars are always empty.... It runs for a few miles along I 70 and I 64.
() Light rail doesn't run on wheels. I believe that's why they are trains and not cars. Also, judging how the ridership has exceeded all original expectations, I'd say many people besides the homeless use it to commute to & from work, etc.

Quote:
And I have never seen traffic jams on I 10 between Phoenix and Tuscon, it runs smoothly.
How often do you travel on I10 between Phoenix and Tucson? Sure, the traffic flow moves pretty smoothly most of the time, but throw one serious accident or a dust storm in the mix, and traffic is backed up for miles. DPS is part of the problem for closing the entire freeway whenever there's an accident. They need to keep the flow moving, and additional lanes would definitely make a difference in those cases.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Santiago de Compostela train crash: CCTV captures moment of derailment - video | World news | guardian.co.uk

And proponants in CA talked within minutes this can not happen in CA.... It would be failproof, like the state.

Sure.. the Titanic couldn't sink......, banks can not fail, Enron stocks are a sure bet...
Accidents like this are rare , this is Spain's first major deadly accident since 1977... That was also not a High Speed train but a Regional train.... There have been no deadly High Speed Rail Accidents in the 70 years of High Speed Rail in the world. Each system is different in the world , this accident was caused by a suicidal / Homicidal train operator who exploited an older signal system that wouldn't stop him from Speeding. High Speed Rail Networks use the latest train signal technology which would have prevented this crash by slowing the train down once the driver had gone over the limit. In Japan and in a few countries they have Earthquake , Landslide and Avalanche warning detection systems that will shut down the moment movement is detected , California and the Northwestern part of North America will be getting this system installed on the Railroads by 2022.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
() Light rail doesn't run on wheels.. .
So, what are these round things that touch the rails?

Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That was also not a High Speed train but a Regional train.... There have been no deadly High Speed Rail Accidents in the 70 years of High Speed Rail in the world. .
Yes, it was a high speed train on normal speed tracks...

No accidents in the world with high speed trains? You should pay better attention to the news.
There have been 4 deadly accidents.

China. It was litterly covered up by the authorities, they buried the wreck.......

Germany.

Germany, very deadly. It was going from 200 MPH to zero in a few seconds.....

Better do your homework before making such statements..............

Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Yes, it was a high speed train on normal speed tracks...

No accidents in the world with high speed trains? You should pay better attention to the news.
There have been 4 deadly accidents.

China. It was litterly covered up by the authorities, they buried the wreck.......

Germany.

Germany, very deadly. It was going from 200 MPH to zero in a few seconds.....

Better do your homework before making such statements..............
none of those trains are High Speed trains , there all capped at 125mph.... 135mph+ is HSR by EU UIC standards.... That First picture was of a Chinese Regional rail train , the second picture was also of a Regional train both are capped at 125mph. And the Last picture is of a German ICE train , those are capped at 145mph , this line in question is only 120mph....It would be impossible for it to go 200mph. The Second picture appears to be a an overshoot of the tracks , I doubt that train was traveling high speed or was even in service. I think you mean 200kph , which is 125mph... The First train was only going 80mph...and that accident was due to shortsighted ness on China's part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona