Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times

Advertisements

these kind of threads r brought up by liberals that live here or want to move here in the future, and just hoping that the state turns blue in the future. if you dont agree with the states politics dont move here. btw someone posted that most of the people moving here r democrats from california or the midwest n i think ur quite off on that one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
these kind of threads r brought up by liberals that live here or want to move here in the future, and just hoping that the state turns blue in the future. if you dont agree with the states politics dont move here. btw someone posted that most of the people moving here r democrats from california or the midwest n i think ur quite off on that one
Most of the people I work with at our SD office (Even the Dems) that want to move to AZ are Fed up with California taxes and ridiculas regulations and would probably agree with you. Even the Native AZ Dems, which 1/2 of my family are, are more Libratarian than anything else.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:09 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Most of the people I work with at our SD office (Even the Dems) that want to move to AZ are Fed up with California taxes and ridiculas regulations and would probably agree with you. Even the Native AZ Dems, which 1/2 of my family are, are more Libratarian than anything else.
I'm libertarian and have voted Republican in the past like most Arizonans. However, many libertarians like myself have recently voted for Democrats in the state because the states Republicans are adopting right wing socially conservative policies which wasn't always the case. The Republicans here used to be more moderate and sensible like John McCain but in the last 10 years, they've appealed to the Tea Party.

I don't endorse increased taxation and regulation but I also don't endorse discrimination against Hispanics, anti-abortion and anti-IVF policy, anti-gay rights and overzealous gun rights laws. I know a lot of people who are switching parties because they are tired of the backward Tea Party and wing nut legislation. I personally don't know of any Hispanics who support Republicans any longer. I knew a lot at one time but with 1070 and the anti-Hispanic rhetoric, it pushed them away from the Republican party and that trend is only going to continue. The Republicans in Arizona pandered to the most extreme component of the Republican party and they are losing their moderate members like myself and will lose elections as a result.

What is interesting is to see Arizona Republicans like Jeff Flake appealing to Hispanics and trying to adopt more sensible immigration policy instead of the asinine and impractical self deportation strategy that Romney and other Republicans endorsed. That policy lost Romney the election outright with 80% of Hispanics voting for Obama. And I know Romney is a moderate but had to appeal to right wing members to win the Republican primary so he adopted right wing policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
^^ I go with this, and as a 3rd gen Arizonan and former Dem, of the Blue dog Variety, I'll vote for the man and not the party. Nobody should want Arizona to be a California, Mass, or a Chicago which is a prime example of what happens when a state is controlled by one party.
Nobody should want Arizona to be Mississippi, Alabama, and Oklahoma either and that's what happens when conservatives run your state. You are only looking at one side of things. As much as I detest taxation, and regulation, I also abhor denying civil rights, and civil liberties.

The Democrats in this state tend to be of the Blue Dog variety so you don't have to fear voting for a Dianne Feinstein if you vote Democrat however if you vote Republican, you run the risk of voting for some wing nut who advocates a quasi fascist social policy aka Russel Pearce. I have found most of the current Democrats in this state to be libertarian and moderates not left wing radicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh: a "blue" before 1970 is called a "red" today and a blue today is a radical it seems. But I doubt Arizona will go "Cali" blue like you all but said.
You have it backward. Democrats today are called Reagan Republicans. When the Tea Party and Religious Right took over the Republican party, many of their members left for the Democratic party because they couldn't in good conscience support conservative social policy. John McCain is a Democrat in most Republicans eyes today because he doesn't support far right policies.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-08-2013 at 03:36 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Keep reelecting RINOs like mccain and your state will be blue...shame on you for allowing this fool to remain as your rep in the senate. A guy who is more concerned with being liked on the Beltway then working for the citizens he represents

Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Keep reelecting RINOs like mccain and your state will be blue...shame on you for allowing this fool to remain as your rep in the senate. A guy who is more concerned with being liked on the Beltway then working for the citizens he represents
So if they are not on the far right, they are not a Republican? That's the state of the Republican party these days and why so many Republicans have switched parties because they can't identify with the right wing politics/Tea Party that now comprise the Republican Party

Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I have doubts that a Democrat will be elected as President in 2016. Not that the GOP is any better, but the majority of people are not satisfied with the direction this country is headed.

Republicans have no chance in the next Presidential election. Here is why: Latinos make up 16% of the U.S. population and 10% of the electorate. 71% of Latinos voted for Obama. That number is only going to increase for Democrats as Republicans continue to lose Latino support due to catering to the Tea Party and right wing conservatives. Furthermore, the number of eligible Latino voters will increase so their voting electorate will increase to approximately 12% by most estimates. So what does this mean? It means Democrats are assured nearly 10% of the electorate from Latinos alone!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/09/politi...e-key-election

Old 03-09-2013, 06:34 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Republicans have no chance in the next Presidential election. Here is why: Latinos make up 16% of the U.S. population and 10% of the electorate. 71% of Latinos voted for Obama. That number is only going to increase for Democrats as Republicans continue to lose Latino support due to catering to the Tea Party and right wing conservatives. Furthermore, the number of eligible Latino voters will increase so their voting electorate will increase to approximately 12% by most estimates. So what does this mean? It means Democrats are assured nearly 10% of the electorate from Latinos alone!

Latino vote key to Obama's re-election - CNN.com

Uh; 10 years ago no 1 thought a "Black" dude would win the POTUS. Just don't count your Dem chickens before they hatch. You have to remember that MOST Americans who CAN vote are anglo white people and not all "Hispanics" want amnesty for illegal aliens. The Repubs ain't dead just yet IMHO tho the religious "right" scares me too.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Uh; 10 years ago no 1 thought a "Black" dude would win the POTUS. Just don't count your Dem chickens before they hatch. You have to remember that MOST Americans who CAN vote are anglo white people...
Not for much longer:

"WASHINGTON — After years of speculation, estimates and projections, the Census Bureau has made it official: White births are no longer a majority in the United States. Non-Hispanic whites accounted for 49.6 percent of all births in the 12-month period that ended last July, according to Census Bureau data made public on Thursday, while minorities — including Hispanics, blacks, Asians and those of mixed race — reached 50.4 percent, representing a majority for the first time in the country’s history..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/us...anted=all&_r=0

"The Census Bureau's newly released population projections predict that non-Hispanic, white Americans will cease to compose a majority of the population in 2043, two years after the total population exceeds 400 million people..."

U.S. will have a majority-minority population by 2043, Census predicts | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

ANY party that is perceived as being the party of "White guys" WILL NOT have much power much longer.

Ken

Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Not for much longer:

"WASHINGTON — After years of speculation, estimates and projections, the Census Bureau has made it official: White births are no longer a majority in the United States. Non-Hispanic whites accounted for 49.6 percent of all births in the 12-month period that ended last July, according to Census Bureau data made public on Thursday, while minorities — including Hispanics, blacks, Asians and those of mixed race — reached 50.4 percent, representing a majority for the first time in the country’s history..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/us...anted=all&_r=0

"The Census Bureau's newly released population projections predict that non-Hispanic, white Americans will cease to compose a majority of the population in 2043, two years after the total population exceeds 400 million people..."

U.S. will have a majority-minority population by 2043, Census predicts | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

ANY party that is perceived as being the party of "White guys" WILL NOT have much power much longer.

Ken
Some Hispanics ARE "white" and more and more "mixed race" people call themselves "white" too. OTOH: dark skin Arabs are also "white". Not all white people are pasty in color.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Some Hispanics ARE "white" and more and more "mixed race" people call themselves "white" too. OTOH: dark skin Arabs are also "white". Not all white people are pasty in color.
Census data is based on what people call THEMSELVES. The census folks don't assign anyone to race, people assign themselves based on how they answer the census questionaires. Same with birth data - the parents fill that out. Make of that what you will.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona