Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:12 AM

537 posts, read 739,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokuku View Post
What are you talking about? It says Williams/Sedona in your info. Haven't you noticed how Northern AZ wants to be just like Boulder, CO and Portland, OR at the same time? But...doesn't want to pay for it....

Yeah, the Valley is South Clownifornia 1.5, though.
We lived in Flagstaff, the County seat, for several years and still have dealings with them, since we live within the County. It's shocking to see how many transplants (especially from California) work within the Flagstaff city and Coconino County governments. Their mentality seems like a carry-over from the 19th century; making the "desert bloom" and taming the wild savages here in the uncivilized desert that seems to motivate these transplants.

And, no, we don't want to pay for all their "good ideas"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Permanently banish Joe Arpaio and all the members of his blue hair posse

Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I saw this question on the Washington forum and thought it was a great thought invoking thread. The obviously hypothetical question is, if you were suddenly in 100% control of Arizona what would or wouldn't you change? Money is no issue and either is politics. How would you use your new found power to improve the state of Arizona?
I'd force the owners of the Diamondbacks to raise ticket prices every time the Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, or Red Sox came to town( likewise with the Suns when the Lakers visit).

I'd make Arizona studies in history and social studies more of an important subject for school. I only learned AZ history in 4th grade and it was Navajo blankets, copper, and Ditat Deus and we were through. Make it a prolonged study throughout the grades to train future generations understand what they're inheriting, where it's been, and where it's going. Also, the usual thing in our culture here is to put this place down and talk about how hot it is and how we'll move someday. Teach all the things there is to be proud about Zona and counter the negativity. People in Texas will fight you in a bar if you bad mouth TX, and it's TX! Who cares? We live in a way more beautiful and interesting place. Stick up for it.

Curb gravel lawns and grass lawns. I like grass lawns but we have to be real about water. Gravel absorbs heat all day and then radiates it back at your home all night. Why is there so much gravel? Mandate, or give tax rebates to homeowners who switch to Xeriscaped lawns and/or natural desert landscape. Reduce the urban heat island, help night time temps return the normal cool temps that used to happen, and support the local flora. There's no need to water your yard and keep it green. Mesquites and Palo Verdes for shade, green creosotes and cactuses( I don't say "cacti") for color, and desert wildflowers for more color in Spring. Cut your water bill in half and feel like you really live in the Sonoran.

Manage growth. If the economy is based on real estate and construction, the economy here is vulnerable. 2008 was the lesson, maybe it's time for a diversified, grown up economy. How to get it? Attract business by ceasing sensational politics that are offensive to specific groups of people, however lawful your intentions, think it through. We can enforce immigration without alienating the 2 million brown Arizonan citizens we are neighbors with. Increase education spending too. Being almost dead last nationally isn't a great incentive to an intelligent company looking to relocate. As far as growth in general, limit it in the interest of our quality of life. Forever, to live in PHX meant to live in a clean, modern, decent sized city where the open desert was minutes away and the high country an hour drive. The high country is still an hour drive but the city seems to go on forever now. I lived at Union Hills and Cave Creek when I was young and played in the desert around there all the time, hiked the hills, had a great childhood on the edge of the city (circa '89). Now, it's an hour to get to open desert from Central PHX, and houses are built up to the shores of Lake Pleasant! Let's curb the sprawl and find new economic avenues and avoid becoming the second LA.

Finally, a pipe dream, but I wish it would happen, because I don't think it will happen federally, but, the state buying up desert land and establishing protected DESERT LAND. Kind of like national forest, beside the obvious differences, protected (and unique) land that's incredibly endangered, partly because transplants from Chicago and LA like to ride ATV's out into the Sonoran over young cactuses still growing, pull out a multitude of guns and blast away our mature cactuses, littering the desert with broken bottles, clay pigeons, tv's or other appliances blown to bits, and generally reduce virgen desert to dust fields full of garbage. Maybe legally protecting the desert is the only way to save it at this point.

In summary, get people to care about Arizona and take care of it.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:27 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
Wouldnt change a thing. Arizona is unique and perfect the way it is. Phoenix on other hand is far from for me though and I cannot wait to get the eff out. Hopefully Flagstaff, Cedar City or maybe Salt Lake City.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:01 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin out of reno View Post
I live in Phoenix next to open desert and one of the joys of it is the wildlife. I love the daily visits of mountain lions, bobcats, javalina and deer.
I agree with two of those types of animals visiting. I would not want the mountain lions to get too close. I am not sure what a javalina is?...never heard of them.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:01 AM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
End lawns. I didn't move out to the desert because I wanted to deal with grass. If you want grass, there are plenty of other states that have it.
We have a bunch of amazing native plants that are much better alternatives.

Attempt to bring back more native mesquites and try to bring back some of the native mesquite forests that have been lost to time. Maybe even give out free young trees to try to convince people to plant those instead of grass in their yards.

Taking water conservation more seriously. Or, building a giant pipeline from the ocean and telling CA to deal with it.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 AM

3 posts, read 2,457 times
change and progress through the will of its people and nature

Old 11-07-2013, 02:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
i am not sure what a javalina is?...never heard of them.

What would you change about Arizona?-javelina.jpg

Old 11-07-2013, 04:55 PM

106 posts, read 246,599 times
High speed rail from Phoenix to Los Angeles, Phoenix to Tucson, and Phoenix to Flagstaff. The fact that the nearest train to LA is an hour south of Phoenix is ridiculous. The Tucson train would ease commuting between Arizona's two major cities. And Phoenix to Flagstaff for weather reasons. During summer, Phoenicians can escape the brutal heat with a quick trip to Flagstaff, and vice versa for winter.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctacity View Post
High speed rail from Phoenix to Los Angeles, Phoenix to Tucson, and Phoenix to Flagstaff. The fact that the nearest train to LA is an hour south of Phoenix is ridiculous. The Tucson train would ease commuting between Arizona's two major cities. And Phoenix to Flagstaff for weather reasons. During summer, Phoenicians can escape the brutal heat with a quick trip to Flagstaff, and vice versa for winter.
Sounds good but if it ever happens it'll be long after I'm dead and gone. It took Phoenix decades to put a light rail in the Valley! I remember when they started talking about it but nobody seemed to want it. If they'd put it in decades ago it wouldn't have cost nearly as much, would be far more widespread and we'd probably have our high speed rail to wherever by now. We don't exactly rush, getting things done.

The only thing I'd like to change about Arizona is that it would become an *Independent* state rather than a Conservative 'red' state. Purple is okay with me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona