Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Blaming liberals for making safe areas "ghetto" is fairly assumptive on your part. You could blame conservatives for this. Conservatives have reduced education funding including early child hood education which creates a more uneducated society and provides many poor and impoverished with an educational disadvantage. Conservatives have also touted a pro-gun culture which have led to guns and weapons becoming more readily available to criminals. Conservatives have also attracted extremists like white supremacist groups and racist zealots. They move here assuming that others will support their ideology.

Most importantly, social conservatives have drawn away many educated people from moving here due to their concern for living in a community that lacks tolerance and is viewed as bohemian. When many states provide financial incentives to lure companies, many other attributes factor into their decisions to move such as the quality of the schools, culture and community. The type of people we are trying to lure to this state are well educated with advanced degrees and most of those people are socially liberal. Sorry but executives from tech companies and Fortunate 500 companies are not homophobic, gun touting xenophobes. Yes, they want financial handouts as does all corporate executives, but they also want good schools for their children to attend. And they also want educated neighbors to live next door to.

You cite California as an example of liberalism gone wrong. I can just as easily cite Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Tennessee and other conservative states which have the country's highest rates of poverty, teenage pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease, lowest average lifespan, lowest standardized test score, lowest rates of people with a bachelors degree etc. I don't want Arizona to become like them. And for every state like Texas that a conservative cites, I can cite a state like Connecticut, New York, Vermont, and Mass.
ughhh no. arizona and joe are tough, sometimes over the top but we need it. thank the lord you aren't governor because we would be even more overrun with illegals and attempt to take our guns away just like cali. california is quickly becoming mexico , i for one don't want that to happen to arizona

Old 03-01-2014, 09:57 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
ughhh no. arizona and joe are tough, sometimes over the top but we need it. thank the lord you aren't governor because we would be even more overrun with illegals and attempt to take our guns away just like cali. california is quickly becoming mexico , i for one don't want that to happen to arizona
And if you were governor, our schools would continue to be at the bottom while our jobs will continue to be low paying. California still has far better jobs, more Fortune 500 companies, more company headquarters and more top ranked universities than Arizona has. Yeah, we would be lucky to be like California.

Why don't you move to West Virginia, you won't have to worry about Mexicans and Gays. They also have the low paying jobs and poor schools that you and other conservatives seem to be content with. You will also have plenty of space to go huntin' and it's really far from California. Take Cathi Herrod with you.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
Quote:
And if you were governor, our schools would continue to be at the bottom while our jobs will continue to be low paying. California still has far better jobs, more Fortune 500 companies, more company headquarters and more top ranked universities than Arizona has. Yeah, we would be lucky to be like California.

Why don't you move to West Virginia, you won't have to worry about Mexicans and Gays. They also have the low paying jobs and poor schools that you and other conservatives seem to be content with. You will also have plenty of space to go huntin' and it's really far from California. Take Cathi Herrod with you.
california has like 6 times the population we have of course they have more company hqs, more top ranked universities, etc. why is it that i know almost more californians than arizonans in arizona? its not just the col either.
i didn't mention huntin' but you should know arizona has some of the best huntin' in the us

Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
People are discovering that racism in the West isn't much different than East Coast or Deep South racism. It's more rooted in a pseudo-Libertarian, non-religious form, but it's still the same.

Any time someone mentions political correctness with a negative tone, they're basically saying "I should be able to say what I want to any (insert oppressed group) and not face consequences." No one has to be politically correct, but that doesn't mean you're free from the aftermath.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:50 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
All this conservative vs. liberal crap obscures one simple truth: all of us are on one side, and big biz and government are on the other. Don't think for one second that conservative or liberal politicians are different. Two sides of the same coin. Each is beholden to big biz and will do whatever it takes to prop them up.

These arbitrary divisions pit us against each other (black vs. white, straight vs. gay, liberal vs. conservative) and prevent us from focusing on what holds us back. It's similar to the Willie Lynch letters about dividing the slaves. We're slaves and our massas want to keep us from uniting. We fight over petty garbage while each side (Dem and Rep) robs us blind. If you can wade through all of the ideology, you'll see the truth.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
This has devolved into a political discussion...

Observer can you close this thread please?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:44 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Blaming liberals for making safe areas "ghetto" is fairly assumptive on your part. You could blame conservatives for this. Conservatives have reduced education funding including early child hood education which creates a more uneducated society and provides many poor and impoverished with an educational disadvantage. Conservatives have also touted a pro-gun culture which have led to guns and weapons becoming more readily available to criminals. Conservatives have also attracted extremists like white supremacist groups and racist zealots. They move here assuming that others will support their ideology.

Most importantly, social conservatives have drawn away many educated people from moving here due to their concern for living in a community that lacks tolerance and is viewed as bohemian. When many states provide financial incentives to lure companies, many other attributes factor into their decisions to move such as the quality of the schools, culture and community. The type of people we are trying to lure to this state are well educated with advanced degrees and most of those people are socially liberal. Sorry but executives from tech companies and Fortunate 500 companies are not homophobic, gun touting xenophobes. Yes, they want financial handouts as does all corporate executives, but they also want good schools for their children to attend. And they also want educated neighbors to live next door to.

You cite California as an example of liberalism gone wrong. I can just as easily cite Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Tennessee and other conservative states which have the country's highest rates of poverty, teenage pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease, lowest average lifespan, lowest standardized test score, lowest rates of people with a bachelors degree etc. I don't want Arizona to become like them. And for every state like Texas that a conservative cites, I can cite a state like Connecticut, New York, Vermont, and Mass.
First of all, and I don't know where you've been living, but in case you didn't know, the bad guys DO NOT BUY THEIR GUNS legally like us law-abiding gun owners.

Without turning this into a political debate, this is not about Conservatives and Liberals, it's about protecting our state and the rest of the nation to ensure that it doesn't become as bad as California. I'm not sure where you got your information about the list of Conservative states you mentioned, but if what you stated about the higher rates of poverty, teen-age pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases, lowest rates of people with bachelors degrees, etc, is correct, and you mentioned Mississippi, and Alabama, it only proves that the government is not responsible for cleaning up people's lives that get messed up because of mistakes they made, the government should help, up to a certain point, but not to the point where a 17 year-old teen-age mother has to rely on entitlements for the rest of her life, that's definitely not what Arizona stands for.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:

And where exactly do you live, Arizona or California? When it comes to industry, comparing Arizona to California is like comparing apples and oranges, the entire population of Arizona is less than what's in the entire Los Angeles Basin so naturally there's going to be more companies and company headquarters. It all started when times were better and everybody had a reason to start a business in California.

If you now think that California has far better jobs and so forth, then that might explain why people are fleeing California by the numbers to Arizona and other states.

I visit California quite often and I enjoy my visits, but I wouldn't want to live there, for one thing, real estate is a lot more expensive, even for a comparable house inland in Riverside or San Bernardino Counties. Forget Los Angeles County, especially close to the coast, unless you have an extra couple of million Dollars laying around.

California was a great state to live in up until maybe 10-15 years ago, and I definitely do not want to see my home state of Arizona to become what the state California has become.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 03-04-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,992 times
Wow, it never ends indeed. We are getting two new regulations on abortion in Arizona, one to restrict the use of the abortion pill and the other for surprise visits to abortion clinics. What's interesting is that Arizona now restricts the abortion pill protocol to the original one as approved by the FDA. However, my doctor can deviate from the FDA protocol for any medication he prescribes for me. Can you say selective enforcement? Who is coming up with this stuff? Will it ever end?

Old 03-05-2014, 05:28 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
you're going to see grouchy people and discourteous drivers no matter where you go.
Again, traffic on Cactus Rd between the 51 and PV mall typically flows at about 50+ mph and seeing someone fly by you at 60+ is not uncommon. It's a damned surface street for crying out loud!!!!! I never saw anyone roaring down Colfax Ave, or any other major arterial, when I lived in Denver and I drove that commute 5 days/week for 3 years.

I am not the only one who has this view of Phoenix traffic. Most people I've talked to from other areas of the country (I go to a lot of meetups so I tend to meet people that have moved here from other areas of the country), L.A. and San Diego being the exception, say that people here drive to fast and are generally rude behind the wheel. Now granted, most of those people have moved here from the great plains states (I seem to meet a lot folks from Michigan and Wisconsin in particular) where people are generally nicer, more laid back, less Type-A and dont seem to have that "get the heck out of my way" attitude so their view may be skewed a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona