Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:28 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times

Advertisements

"I know Yuma, Arizona is the desert and there's really nothing to do".....

Whoa....If your idea of something to do is to go out on the town, take in a show, go to a club, sidewalk cafe, go shopping at a myriad of shops, go to a museum, jump on the subway to get somewhere, etc, you will be lost here. There are no Jewish Deli's here, no Polish Bakeries, no plethora of eateries...this is the SouthWest, I hope you enjoy Hispanic food. If you embrace the desert, by which I mean enjoy it, explore it, not hide from it or "complain there is nothing to do here", you might enjoy your stay. You can hike, bike, swim, fish, boat, golf....this is an outdoor culture. It's different here. Yuma is not a yuppie haven (or a young person's haven for that matter), people don't migrate here for the ambiance, the culture, or the experience....they are born here or come here to work and live or in your case, get an education. Yuma is very much a blue collar town, having expendable income here means being able to take a vacation, not buy a third vacation home as may be the norm in white collar NYC.
My wife is from Bay Ridge, sure she missed Brooklyn when she was uprooted during high school and drug kicking and screaming to heaven forbid, Little Rock in the 70's...what a drastic change. She was a teenager, her life had just been "ruined". Has she overcome the the transition....sure. You are an adult, you can choose to come here or not. You can choose to enjoy the new environment, or you can choose to hate it....but you do have a choice....I hope you choose wisely. But even if you don't choose wisely, don't worry....it's not forever.

IMO, there is no color distinction in Yuma....if you make an effort to fit in, you will. If you want to stand out....you will.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona