Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 18,519 times

Advertisements

Hello...We live in Great Falls Montana and are moving to Sierra Vista. My husband just got transferred to Fort Huachuca for Malmstrom AFB. We have 3 kids. The oldest will be in Middle school and the younger two are in elementary school.

I was wondering about the school in Sierra Vista....which elementary school's is better? I know that their is always one school that the kids with a harder life go to.....which would that be? Which areas to avoid in the city for getting a house?

Any information that you can give would be great. I am not worried about moving down there, just the school and school system. Two of my kids are really advanced and I would like to make sure that they stay challenged in school. Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 05:13 PM

344 posts, read 643,739 times
I retired as a teacher a few years ago and I suggest that you try to get in the Huachuca Mountain Elementary school. Joyce Clark MS has some great teachers, but a few (not many) not so great, however you can monitor them and change classes. Buena H S has the highest number of earned college scholarships of any public H S in S/AZ, the JROTC program is fantastic and the scientific robotics has won the national championship. However the new Principal is very weak and inexperienced, so you can put pressure on him.
If you H S age student is fairly intellectual OR is SPED they will be in the right place. If you student is an A-B student they are in good shape, if they are a C-D student they could have problems.
Stay away from CASS and PEPTEC, they are a whose who of Gangland.
The Berian Academy 'might' be an option.
There is a good Baptist elementary school.
We put our granddaughter in Coronado which is part of the Palominas Districtm but we would have been happy with Huachuca Mountain or Town and Country in the SVD.
If you live on Post you can send them to the Post schools but some of the bad teachers let go by the S V District teach there. (Some great ones also)

Old 07-27-2014, 05:36 PM

308 posts, read 792,375 times
I will defer to Salpointe on the schools, as I moved here after my kids graduated. His advice sounds spot on from what I have heard.

As far as where to live, Sierra Vista is different than many small cities. There is no real downtown area. The stores are spread out along Fry Blvd and Hwy 92. The newer areas of town are to the south and east. The older/worse area is on the west side (stay away from "Fry Town"). You shouldnt have trouble finding a nice place, there are lots of places for rent and for sale right now.

If you have more specific questions as you begin really looking where to live, feel free to ask.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for your posts. They are very helpful. I will be sure to ask about some of those programs in school. My son will like them. I have seen a lot of nice house for rent. I just didn't know which area to stay away from. We are gonna rent for a while....then look into purchasing a house.

(Is there specific streets that "Fry town" is from. I have never heard of it before while researching.)

Old 07-29-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSiah View Post
Thank you for your posts. They are very helpful. I will be sure to ask about some of those programs in school. My son will like them. I have seen a lot of nice house for rent. I just didn't know which area to stay away from. We are gonna rent for a while....then look into purchasing a house.

(Is there specific streets that "Fry town" is from. I have never heard of it before while researching.)

Personally, I would stay away from anything in the square bounded on the east by 7th St, on the west by Buffalo Soldier Trail, on the north by Hwy 90 Bypass, and on the south by Golf Links Rd. You should be able to pick that out on a map just fine. There are some ok areas within that square, but it is a good rough outline of what to stay away from.

Are you going to rent sight unseen, or will you be able to come see it first?

Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 PM

Default JAinAZ

Thank you for the streets. That is exactly what I was wanting. We are going to go down and stay in a motel while we get a place. I have been looking to see what is out there and I wanted to know where to stay away from so I know what places we would not want if in those areas. I am also contacting a realtor to help us look (but only when it gets closer.) I know Sept will be here before I know it, but I am trying to tie up lose ends and finish packing.

So slowly I am trying to find out info, so when we do go down we will know what we are looking for.

Thank you for your help again. It is very appreciated!!

Old 08-07-2014, 04:10 PM

I have another question for you guys. Is there some type of job service down there? My husband will have a job, I wanted to look and maybe out in some apps before I get down there. I don't want to be with out a pay check for to long. Lol

Old 08-07-2014, 07:43 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,393,302 times
Have you looked at the demographics for SV on the City-Data site ? "Most common occupations", "most common industries".....if you have any of those skills, you may be OK.
Don't overlook civilian employment on post.

Ft Huachuca

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-07-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSiah View Post
I have another question for you guys. Is there some type of job service down there? My husband will have a job, I wanted to look and maybe out in some apps before I get down there. I don't want to be with out a pay check for to long. Lol
What kind of work would you be looking for? Lots of places in town are hiring right now.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,362,560 times
Just want to chip in to say "enjoy Sierra Vista". It's a really nice town - clean, safe, with magnificient scenary, and (in my opinion) probably the 2nd best climate of anywhere in the continental U.S. (2nd only to those parts of SoCal that are famous for their climate - but as a result, crowded and expensive). Sierra Vista hits that sweet spot climate-wise - not too hot, not too cold, JUST RIGHT - with winters that are nearly non-existant (most of the time in the winter, you'll need a like jacket or sweater in the morning and evenings, but no jacket at all during the day). On Christmas day for example, the average high is 60 degrees - same with New Years day. And it to top it all off, it's just about the right size too - big enough to have pretty much everything you need, but small enough to have no major traffic woes, high crime or excess crowding.
All in all, it's about as perfect a place to be as can be imagined.

I still can't believe we actually get to live in this part of the country. I have to pinch myself every day.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 08-08-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona