Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 PM

266 posts, read 286,448 times

Advertisements

I love extremely hot summers and Arizona is a great place for that. However, I am wondering which place is the hottest place in Arizona. There are several locations that contend for that title, like Yuma, Parker, Lake Havasu City, and Bullhead City. All of those locations have been known to get up to 120 degrees or higher in the summer, but some of them are more likely to reach that mark than the others due to either lower elevation, higher record highs, or less monsoonal activity, which means lower humidity.

So the question is, which place in Arizona has the hottest summers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:09 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
1/2 way from Havasu to Bullhead there is Devil's Elbow on the Colorado River. Hottest spot I've been to. I had an under the console temp gauge on my boat pegged way past 120 degrees.

Havasu and BHC have about the same summer heat, humidity and monsoons.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times
Interesting, I was just thinking about these places, and they are all scorching, of course. My hypothesis is that the hottest spot would be somewhere at very low elevation (Colorado River Valley), but at the northern edge of the main monsoon area. That would point to Bullhead City. And along that same trajectory you have Death Valley a bit further north, so I think that is the "zone." Interestingly, Bullhead is measurably hotter than Yuma in July (112 vs 105), which suggest that Gulf of California moisture at Yuma does temper the max temps a little.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:57 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
Havasu has the highest average daily low of any built up area in the US.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Does it really matter which is hottest statistically?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,261 times
On June 29, 1994 Lake Havasu City boiled all the way up to 128 degrees (some 53+ in Celsius). To my knowledge the only other inhabited spot with an unambiguously accurate and valid temperature reading that high was Mohenjo Daro in Pakistan.
LHC is also one of only three first order weather stations (outside of Furnace Creek in Death Valley) to have ever had an average temperature pass 100 degrees - for an entire month.
Being a heat lover is one thing but I hope you are seeking this information for avoidance purposes - Kingman is plenty hot enough...

Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Does it really matter which is hottest statistically?
Yes I'm just wondering which one it is. I am aware however that Lake Havasu City recorded the all time high temperature in Arizona, but I'm wondering which one has the highest AVERAGE summer temps.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Interesting, I was just thinking about these places, and they are all scorching, of course. My hypothesis is that the hottest spot would be somewhere at very low elevation (Colorado River Valley), but at the northern edge of the main monsoon area. That would point to Bullhead City. And along that same trajectory you have Death Valley a bit further north, so I think that is the "zone." Interestingly, Bullhead is measurably hotter than Yuma in July (112 vs 105), which suggest that Gulf of California moisture at Yuma does temper the max temps a little.
Bullhead City is definitely hotter than Yuma on average in July due to humidity. As an FYI, the average July high in Yuma is 107 actually.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:09 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZguy99 View Post
Yes I'm just wondering which one it is. I am aware however that Lake Havasu City recorded the all time high temperature in Arizona, but I'm wondering which one has the highest AVERAGE summer temps.
Arizona Average Temperatures - Year to Date, Averages by City

Old 07-31-2014, 07:46 AM

270 posts, read 481,784 times
The places with the hottest summers in Arizona are located on the Lower Colorado River Valley (LCRV), especially on the northern and central part, whose the desert areas mainly have a very low elevation. Lake Havasu City and Bullhead City are certainly the places with the most extreme heat in United States behind Death Valley of course, in terms of maximum summer averages highs but also in terms of all-time records highs which can even rival the ones recorded in Furnace Creek. On the Arizona part of the LCRV, the maximum summer averages highs are 110.6 for Lake Havasu City, 112.2 for Bullhead City, 108.3 for Quartzsite, 106.8 for Yuma, 108 for Parker and 109 for Blythe. As well, Lake Havasu City and Bullhead City have respectively recorded all-time records highs of 128 and 127, which are the highest ones in the country but again behind Death Valley. I don't really think that Bullhead City is hotter during summer months than Lake Havasu City but the actual averages seem to say the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona