Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:29 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

What am I missing? Am I that dense? I just can't figure it out, why someone would come to AZ for 6 months and then go suffer through a summer in, say, the Midwest, where one can be more miserable?

I won't even attend a family reunion in July back in Minnesota. Last one I attended: it had just rained, high 80's for temp's, and humidity levels that could send you crashing to the sidewalk, and mosquito's/gnats everywhere!

What a gamble! Yes, you could gamble, hit 777 some summer and have a rather comfortable summer up there, but what a risk to take!

I wonder just how many of these snowbirds have actually, curiously, spent an entire year in AZ, and then realized, why they were stupidly going back and forth all this time and not staying put, or trying to maintain 2 houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 05:06 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Perhaps some people prefer humidity over dry heat?

Perhaps some people can't fathom anyone living in extreme dry heat for months on end?

People are unique and have different preferences.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
I find other people puzzling in general. But I found MOST puzzling people who are surprised that other people are puzzling.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,251,642 times
Some retired friends of mine just moved from Colorado (where it is nice for most of the year) to Lake Havasu. They are going to do the opposite of snowbirds.. Live in Az for maybe 9 months of the year and then travel for the summer. According to them, this makes a lot more sense as all the snowbirds have to go to just a handful of states or places but they have the option of going to a much wider variety of places in the summer.

Sounds like a good plan to me..

FYI, a lot of the snowbirds have family where they spend most of the year and that is more important than the "stupid" traveling back and forth.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times
Simple really.

It starts out with a few who could afford it. They don't want to go thru another winter at home and decide to migrate to a warmer climate for the worst of it. They're used to their summers and everybody knows it's hotter than heck here so move back to what you know for the summer. Pretty soon lots of people are figuring out how to do it financially. Now as the sign says HERE YOU ARE.

And as waltcolorado says they have family back there. For a lot of people that's how they decide where they will live. I've seen people leave Phx 'cause they didn't like it. Only to move back because this is where their family is.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What am I missing? Am I that dense? I just can't figure it out, why someone would come to AZ for 6 months and then go suffer through a summer in, say, the Midwest, where one can be more miserable?

I won't even attend a family reunion in July b. k in Minnesota. Last one I attended: it had just rained, high 80's for temp's, and humidity levels that could send you crashing to the sidewalk, and mosquito's/gnats everywhere!

What a gamble! Yes, you could gamble, hit 777 some summer and have a rather comfortable summer up there, but what a risk to take!

I wonder just how many of these snowbirds have actually, curiously, spent an entire year in AZ, and then realized, why they were stupidly going back and forth all this time and not staying put, or trying to maintain 2 houses?
Temperatures in the high 80's with high humidity is still quite a bit cooler than 110 degrees. It might be a little uncomfortable but I doubt if it would send any healthy person crashing to the sidewalk. I would think a Minnesota summer would be a cake walk for a person use to the brutal Arizona heat.

Mosquitos and gnats? Please. You got "Off" to keep away the mosquitos and bug spray for the gnats. Besides, which would you rather be pestered with, mosqutos and gnats or rattle snakes and scorpions? Everyplace has some kind of bug or animal you dont want around.

I wouldnt call anybody stupid for driving back and forth between minnesota and arizona. You dont know why somebody might do that. Maybe they have family in both places. If thats what they wanna do and they can afford it, why not? Its their life and they are living it the way they please. Live and let live and try not be so critical and judgemental of people who are not living their life the way you think they need to be.

Actually, your op is much more puzzling than any snowbird moving every 6 months.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 07-31-2014 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: edited to correct spelling errors.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:41 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Also, the upper Midwest is drop dead gorgeous in summer. Thousands of sparkling lakes, streams, forests, and meadows. And if family and history come with the deal. Who would not want to enjoy that?!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:23 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I find other people puzzling in general. But I found MOST puzzling people who are surprised that other people are puzzling.
Exactly!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:28 AM

487 posts, read 748,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Also, the upper Midwest is drop dead gorgeous in summer. Thousands of sparkling lakes, streams, forests, and meadows. And if family and history come with the deal. Who would not want to enjoy that?!
I couldn't agree more, Fiddlehead. On top of that, there are probably family members that they return to see, so there you have it. I don't find having two homes puzzling - if that's what you want to do.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I won't even attend a family reunion in July back in Minnesota. Last one I attended: it had just rained, high 80's for temp's, and humidity levels that could send you crashing to the sidewalk, and mosquito's/gnats everywhere!

Yes, it can get humid in MN, but it only lasts for a few days here and there, punctuated by heavenly 70/80 degree temps for days on end with much lower humidity levels. Summers there are absolutely, positively, and most assuredly more comfortable than Phoenix. Anyone who says different hasnt spent an entire summer in Phoenix. Sorry! I really, really, really think that anyone who thinks Phoenix's summers are better than, say, the Midwest, are absolutely bonkers, and are making excuses. Seriously. Arizona is a beautiful state, and I do love living here, but summers are the worst. And dont think its dry here all the time, its not. July and August have nights and mornings that are hotter and almost as humid as a bad day in Chicago. But, when it gets humid and rains, people love it because then the temps are "only" in the 80s/90's, and the cold rain feels awesome. Plus, the smell of the Creosote on the rain is one of the best scents youll ever encounter.

What Phoenix does trump all at is bug levels. Mosquitos are here, but in far less numbers. But, we trade mosquitos for scorpions, palo verde beetles, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona