Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:12 PM

26 posts, read 42,265 times

Advertisements

Why do Arizonans elect all these far right nut cases? I find people in Arizona to be smart but can't understand their politics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 04:11 AM

26 posts, read 42,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantano49 View Post
They really don't except at the state level. The Tea Party type conservatives have been very successful in getting their candidate elected in the primaries with low voter turnout. Arizona has conservative outfits that most states don't have the Goldwater Institute and the Center for Arizona Policy. These two outfits pour millions of dollars into far right wingers who win in primaries. Then in the November election seniors, Mormons, Evangelicals, pull the lever for R. Arizona is going through a phase right now which is about to end. Conservatives born between 1928 and 1947 have voted reliably Republican for the last 15 years. The Tea Party in Arizona has been driven by seniors born in those years. A couple of years ago we saw seniors standing on corners holding petitions trying to stop Medicaid expansion when many of those same seniors relied on Medicare and Medicaid. My feeling is the air has been let out of the bag and Arizona could turn blue.
I seriously doubt it will turn Blue anytime soon.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:03 AM

61 posts, read 80,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgreener60 View Post
Why do Arizonans elect all these far right nut cases? I find people in Arizona to be smart but can't understand their politics
Perhaps they don't think they are nutcases?

Many people in Arizona are transplants from California and Illinois, they have seen what far-left nut cases have done to their state and thus vote for the better option.

Also, AZ politics are not far right. Francisco Franco was far right, Salazar was far right..US republicans are solidly in the center with a half step to the right. Most "conservatives" would be liberals in 1970.

If you don't like it, why are you in AZ? I live in CA, would you like to trade places? I have a lovely 3/1 home in Brentwood for sale.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:56 AM

612 posts, read 1,021,952 times
The voting people in Arizona seem to be in "protection" mode and that suits conservative candidates much more than liberal ones. You have a lot of folks here with the idea that Mexicans are streaming across the border spreading greed, laziness, crime and disease. You have a lot of retired people here who like to build walls around their houses and don't like to venture into "town." You have gun-lovers who are worried about their rights being taken from them. You have folks out in rural areas who are concerned that their way of life is in jeopardy. You have a lot of people who believe that the government is reaching into their pockets and stealing their future from them.

All of this adds up to conservative victories. You get guys like Ducey making high school students pass a citizenship test because he knows people are scared of something.

The distinction here is that these are the "voting people" in Arizona, not necessarily Arizonans in general. The nationwide voting malaise is very prominent here and it's impossible to say for sure, but still not a bad bet that the politics of the state would be different if people would bother to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape from Los Angeles View Post
If you don't like it, why are you in AZ?
The notion that you have to agree with the politics in the place that you live is pretty ridiculous on many levels.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:19 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,666,554 times
Arizona won't be turning Blue but I feel it will become more moderate or hopefully more Libertarian. I have been to Tea Party meetings. The average age was about 75. I have been to Republican Party get togethers and the average is about the same, 75. And it is true that the people there are nut jobs.

I do live in a 55+ but no one on the low end of the age scale goes to those types of meetings. The younger people are however Republicans from what I hear in conversations, just not the anti gay, anti immigrant, bible literalists, that think they will go insane if they smoke a little pot. That is why I can see an increase in the libertarian faction of the party in the future.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:34 AM

First off, Mexicans kind of are pouring over the border in large numbers..

They aren't immigrants. My mom's parents were immigrants (from Japan). They applied for permission, legally came here and naturalized, they are immigrants..illegals are immigrants like squatters are homeowners.

And yes, people move where their views suit them all the time. Since the late 80s and early 90s where California fell off the deep end, you have seen a large outpouring of Californians to Texas and Arizona precisely because of the politics, or at least the results of the politics (gun rights, low taxes, conservative culture).

As for Tea Party meetings, if you live in a retirement community then yes the participants will be old. I go to Tea Party meetings as a late twenties half Asian female in Los Angeles and most are people 25-50, educated and upper middle class whites, Asians and long term (3rd+ generation) Hispanic people.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:04 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,716,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgreener60 View Post
Interesting question, Jim . . .

Are you implying you prefer the "Far Left Nut Cases" instead?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:57 AM

89 posts, read 146,218 times
Quote:
Most "conservatives" would be liberals in 1970.
Most Democratic politicians today are no further left than Republicans were in 1970. If you watch Fox news you might believe that "Mexicans are luring over the border", Republicans today are reasonable and represent most people in the country, and all kinds of other crazy things.

Quote:
If you don't like it, why are you in AZ?
All of AZ is not conservative, there’s a strong, influential base mostly in the Phoenix area. If you think moving to AZ you will be surrounded by fellow conservatives you will be disappointed.

Quote:
I feel it will become more moderate or hopefully more Libertarian.
AZ has always been Libertarian throughout it’s history, it’s the Religious aspect that’s new, and not nearly as strong as other states. Libertarian doesn’t mean Right though, even though in this country it’s thought of that way. I’m pretty libertarian, but in the last 15 years I’ve moved from center-right to very far Left (like most people I know, many of who live in AZ)

I’m sorry I didn’t attribute the quotes correctly, I think it’s east to see where they came from.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:54 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,978,315 times
I'm kinda tired of left wing nut jobs insulting the people of Arizona for the voting choices. The liberal narrative that anyone who doesn't think like them is either misinformed or manipulated is getting old. Blow smoke up your own rears all you want, but expect people to start calling you on it.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
I'm kinda tired of left wing nut jobs insulting the people of Arizona for the voting choices. The liberal narrative that anyone who doesn't think like them is either misinformed or manipulated is getting old. Blow smoke up your own rears all you want, but expect people to start calling you on it.
Exactly! if you want to live in a liberal desert, move to Imperial County or eastern San Bernadino. I hear Needles is lovely, adios!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona