Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:58 PM

209 posts, read 304,237 times

Advertisements

I am a Marylander who has always wanted to go out west. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to live "in the desert," and Arizona seems like the best place for that. A friend of mine who lived in AZ for 6 years told me that if I want to move there, I should. While my career choice of radio requires me to be open to living just about anywhere, Arizona remains at the top of my list. Here are some basic questions that I have:

1) I am a 21 year-old community college student majoring in radio. Depending on how well things go, I may choose to pursue a degree in broadcast engineering, business or something else. How good of a place is Arizona to further one's education?

2) How difficult is it for someone under 26 to live in an apartment? Where I live (right outside of DC) it is vrey expensive and most people I know still live with their parents.

3) How would you describe the dating/nightlife scene? My friend said Arizona was full of "hott girls" but I didn't think to ask about anything else.

4) Do the cities in Arizona have good public transportation?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide! Feel free to tell me anything about the state that you think I should know, regardless of whether or not it relates to my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 08:34 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
Firstly you didn't mention what part of Arizona you were interested in. It is a huge state that covers a lot of terrain and lifestyles. We have everything from pine covered mountains to desert. Arizona is a good place to further your education. There are three major universities: ASU which is in Tempe, AZ(Phx area) since you mentioned engineering,business, and journalism I would recommend you look into the Ira Fulton College of Engineering, WP Carey School of Business, and the Walter Cronkite school of Journalism. All 3 are well respected. There is also UofA in Tuscon which has a great business school(not sure about engineering and journalism). If you want the small town atmosphere with snow in the winter there's NAU in Flagstaff(I really don't know a whole lot about NAU either....I'm sure someone will chime in). The cost of living in Phoenix and Tuscon is way cheaper then the DC/NOVA area. I say Phoenix and Tuscon because Flagstaff is rather expensive if you choose to live there and continue your education. A decent one bedroom shoal run you anywhere from $550-$700 a month depending on the amenities you want and such. It's not difficult for a 26 year old to live in a apartment as long you have a steady income and can support yourself. There are plenty of people your age living on their own or with roomstes in apartments. The dating/nightlife scene is gonna be more lively in the bigger cities. Tempe and Scottsdale are always jumping with 20 year olds thurs night-sat night. Plenty of bar hopping and clubs to hit up. And yes there are beautiful women here and not so beautiful women just like every where else. You will notice a lot of tan blonde barbie doll types. Lots of blondes(it's a westcoast thing but there are a handful of brunettes as well). As far public transportation goes I would suggest you invest in a car. Unlike cities back east, western cities were built around the automobile and it shows. Yes there is a bus line in the cities and a poor excuse for a light rail in Phx(it's nothing compared to the metro in DC). It is possible to get around town on public transportation but when it's 110 who wants to wait at a bus stop. Hope I answered your questions to your expectations. Good luck on your decision!

Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Firstly you didn't mention what part of Arizona you were interested in. It is a huge state that covers a lot of terrain and lifestyles. We have everything from pine covered mountains to desert.
I would definitely prefer the desert regions of AZ.

Quote:
Arizona is a good place to further your education. There are three major universities: ASU which is in Tempe, AZ(Phx area) since you mentioned engineering,business, and journalism I would recommend you look into the Ira Fulton College of Engineering, WP Carey School of Business, and the Walter Cronkite school of Journalism. All 3 are well respected. There is also UofA in Tuscon which has a great business school(not sure about engineering and journalism). If you want the small town atmosphere with snow in the winter there's NAU in Flagstaff(I really don't know a whole lot about NAU either....I'm sure someone will chime in).
Thanks for all that info! I didn't realize there were that many colleges in the state, but that's a good thing. It would be a great experience to go to school in a completely different environment than where I have been going my entire life.

Quote:
The cost of living in Phoenix and Tuscon is way cheaper then the DC/NOVA area. I say Phoenix and Tuscon because Flagstaff is rather expensive if you choose to live there and continue your education. A decent one bedroom shoal run you anywhere from $550-$700 a month depending on the amenities you want and such. It's not difficult for a 26 year old to live in a apartment as long you have a steady income and can support yourself. There are plenty of people your age living on their own or with roomstes in apartments. The dating/nightlife scene is gonna be more lively in the bigger cities. Tempe and Scottsdale are always jumping with 20 year olds thurs night-sat night. Plenty of bar hopping and clubs to hit up. And yes there are beautiful women here and not so beautiful women just like every where else. You will notice a lot of tan blonde barbie doll types. Lots of blondes(it's a westcoast thing but there are a handful of brunettes as well).
I feel more drawn to Phoenix and Tuscon than I do to Flagstaff, so the prices working out that way is good news. The idea of a one bedroom running as low as $550 a month is crazy to me...I'm used to seeing much, much higher numbers. The dating and nightlife scene sounds better than what we have over here, and like it would be a bit easier to fit in.

Quote:
As far public transportation goes I would suggest you invest in a car. Unlike cities back east, western cities were built around the automobile and it shows. Yes there is a bus line in the cities and a poor excuse for a light rail in Phx(it's nothing compared to the metro in DC). It is possible to get around town on public transportation but when it's 110 who wants to wait at a bus stop. Hope I answered your questions to your expectations. Good luck on your decision!
I actually do a lot of walking, especially when it's hot out, so waiting for the bus in the heat isn't a bad thing for me. That being said, I'm sure that you are right about western cities being built around the automobile and for that reason I'm sure I would get one sooner or later (if I don't already have one before going there).

Old 07-29-2012, 06:58 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
If you are in Tempe or the downtown Phoenix area, getting back and forth between the two on public transit is easy. In other areas, it is more complicated and time consuming to use public transit.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:32 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Def take a hard look at Tempe near ASU.

Tucson; I'd go with near UA which is near downtown.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:26 PM

339 posts, read 832,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by video646 View Post
I would definitely prefer the desert regions of AZ.

Thanks for all that info! I didn't realize there were that many colleges in the state, but that's a good thing. It would be a great experience to go to school in a completely different environment than where I have been going my entire life.

I feel more drawn to Phoenix and Tuscon than I do to Flagstaff, so the prices working out that way is good news. The idea of a one bedroom running as low as $550 a month is crazy to me...I'm used to seeing much, much higher numbers. The dating and nightlife scene sounds better than what we have over here, and like it would be a bit easier to fit in.

I actually do a lot of walking, especially when it's hot out, so waiting for the bus in the heat isn't a bad thing for me. That being said, I'm sure that you are right about western cities being built around the automobile and for that reason I'm sure I would get one sooner or later (if I don't already have one before going there).
I'm in Tucson and the public transportation is not bad, as long as you get the book of bus schedules, you won't have to wait long for any bus, they pretty much run on time. The bus schedule book lists the schedule of every bus in Tucson. So as long as you plan according to the bus schedules it won't be hard and you can go just about anywhere by bus. The heat is tolerable, it sounds worse than it is. As long as you stay hydrated you'll be fine. I love the desert atmosphere too, you will love Tucson. Also rent is not bad, my rent is around $550 a month with water included, I have a 1 bedroom with a living room, dining room, kitchen, walk in closet, and a balcony. When I first signed up I had the first month free and each year I renew my lease I get $150 off of the first months rent of the new lease. And there's a pool and fitness room here as well as a game room, and entertainment room for like when you have parties. My nieghbors moved here from New York and they could not believe the how low the rent was here. They said in New York they had to pay more than $1,000 a month for a small one room studio apartment in a bad area, nothing anywhere near as nice as where I live now. The cost of living is much cheaper here which is good.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
All I can say is it isn't Maryland, and you haven't walked when it is hot until you have walked in Phoenix.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:19 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys! I'm taking it all into consideration. Hopefully things will go my way here over the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
All I can say is it isn't Maryland, and you haven't walked when it is hot until you have walked in Phoenix.
We had a heat index of 117 last year, and I walked about 3 miles that day. The heat of Arizona is honestly part of the appeal.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by video646 View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback, guys! I'm taking it all into consideration. Hopefully things will go my way here over the next few years.

We had a heat index of 117 last year, and I walked about 3 miles that day. The heat of Arizona is honestly part of the appeal.
About the only time we see 117F heat index is when it's about 120F, which ain't exactly common here.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
If you like desert then this is your place! ASU and UofA are decent schools and NAU isn't bad either. Sounds like you've narrowed your search to Phoenix or Tucson so good luck and hope you come West soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona