Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:24 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

Did you read this article in the Arizona Republic? Pretty fascinating

A Saudi Arabian dairy company called Almarai purchased a large farm about 90 miles from Phoenix and has planted thousands of acres of alfalfa to make hay. It then ships the hay to Saudi Arabia to feed its cows.“They (Almarai) got about 15 water wells when they purchased the property," Halverson said. "Now, each one of those wells can pump about 1.5 billion gallons of water. It’s an incredible amount of water they’re going to be drawing up from that aquifer underground."

Montini: Saudis are siphoning Arizona water to make hay

I can't believe more Arizona residents are not infuriated by this. We talk so passionately about water conservation in this state yet we are billions of gallons of water away for hay to feed Saudi cows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 10:01 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Did you read this article in the Arizona Republic? Pretty fascinating

A Saudi Arabian dairy company called Almarai purchased a large farm about 90 miles from Phoenix and has planted thousands of acres of alfalfa to make hay. It then ships the hay to Saudi Arabia to feed its cows.“They (Almarai) got about 15 water wells when they purchased the property," Halverson said. "Now, each one of those wells can pump about 1.5 billion gallons of water. It’s an incredible amount of water they’re going to be drawing up from that aquifer underground."

Montini: Saudis are siphoning Arizona water to make hay

I can't believe more Arizona residents are not infuriated by this. We talk so passionately about water conservation in this state yet we are billions of gallons of water away for hay to feed Saudi cows.
*YAWN*

Pointless Muslim bashing.

Ken

Old 11-05-2015, 10:05 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
It's not any more upsetting to me than any of the thousand of farms that are doing or have the right do do the exact same thing. These are not the only people in the state or the West who are growing alfalfa or other animal feed.

Yes, it's a nice example when it's foreigners who famously ran through their groundwater in a matter of decades, come and essentially purchase ours ... but the real issue to me is, we are letting our groundwater resources be exploited too cheaply.

Does this mean that land prices will rise based on the value of their water rights? Perhaps they should. If you own the right to pump 22.5 billion gallons of water...well, that better have been land that was commensurately priced. And if it wasn't, then that is a market inefficiency. Mineral rights are highly valued in oil producing regions; so too should water rights be fairly valued here.

Let's hope this wakes us up. Just like the farmers in Imperial County who fallowed their fields because it made better economic sense to sell their water rights to San Diego, that time is coming here in Arizona and that isn't necessarily a negative. Water is a resource like any other and it needs to be fairly valued and regulated like minerals, timber, and so forth.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:06 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
How is that cost efficient? Hay is heavy and expensive, I can't imagine being able to turn any kind of profit shipping it around the world.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:11 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
How is that cost efficient? Hay is heavy and expensive, I can't imagine being able to turn any kind of profit shipping it around the world.
My understanding is that for certain countries that export a lot, they routinely have empty or partially-empty vessels sailing back their way, therefore return freight is extremely cheap. I am guessing there must be some kind of a situation like this that they are able to take advantage of.

I do know that it is cheaper to ship California-grown animal feed to China than it is to ship it even a few states away domestically -- because China sends us so much more stuff than we send them, that there is an endless amount of empty cargo space on vessels heading from California to China, hence the dirt-cheap freight.

I don't imagine oil tankers could haul hay, granted, but perhaps they piggyback on those half-empty container ships bound for the Far East and then pay full freight the rest of the way. Anyway, that's my best attempt at an answer.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Default Water issue. This should raise some eyebrows...

Foreign water guzzlers draining La Paz County? ...Saudi Arabian corporation Alamari, along with other foreign investors, are buying up land and planting water-guzzling crops like alfalfa hay and almonds.
Montini: Foreign water guzzlers draining La Paz County?

Old 11-05-2015, 01:44 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
This was posted in the "Arizona" forum 3 hours before you posted it Saudis siphoning Arizona Water

Old 11-05-2015, 02:55 PM

604 posts, read 934,752 times
Here's the perspective from the pro-feed industry group. Interesting to note the Saudis are doing this because of THEIR water shortage!

Saudi dairy and poultry producer Almarai accelerates feed import policy

Old 11-05-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
*YAWN*

Pointless Muslim bashing.

Ken
In my experience, it's usually conservatives who reach to conclusions without bothering to check the facts. But I suppose in your case, liberals also do this. I suppose blind opinions really aren't party specific and comes down to the individual. All you saw was Saudi and criticism and stereotyped "Muslim Bashing" It has nothing to do with Muslims or Saudi Arabia. If these investors were from Denmark, I would have the same opinion. It is essentially that Arizona residents can be overzealous at times with regard to covering news and issues related to water conservation yet this somehow fell through the cracks. This is a criticism of Arizona not necessarily Saudia Arabia. The point I am making is Arizona was willing to turn a blind eye and sell it's more precious resource when dollar signs appeared. If you live in Arizona, you would know that water conservation is a passionate issue and there is always discussion regarding water stores and how long that will last us. Yet, we are willing to essentially give billions of it away to make money.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 11-05-2015 at 04:57 PM..

Old 11-05-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Here's the perspective from the pro-feed industry group. Interesting to note the Saudis are doing this because of THEIR water shortage!

Saudi dairy and poultry producer Almarai accelerates feed import policy
Great article...completely shameful on Arizona for allowing this. Giving away billions of water for 47 million dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona