Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 03:12 PM

861 posts, read 2,192,102 times

Advertisements

I love Willcox....not enough to live there mind you but love visiting.

Railroad ave, Stouts store....the apple pies there are fantastic, The BBQ place and the Mexican restaurant across the street.

I buy my sorghum molasses and honey at the Friends of the Library bookstore.

I have always liked the town and area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 01:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Does Willcox get much downwind air pollution from the coal burning power plant that is along the dry lake bed about 10 miles south on highway 191?

I've been to the area many times on short visits, mainly passing through on I-10. The nearby Chiricahua Mtns to the south and Mt Graham to the north are impressive.

I agree that Willcox does resemble Marfa, Ft Davis or Alpine way out in the Big Bend country of West Texas. Those towns are pretty remote, similar elevation and climate, mountains nearby, occasional strong winds, same grasslands and sparse vegetation.
Willcox isn't nearly as remote as Big Bend Country towns are though even though the topography is somewhat similar. The Sulphur Springs Valley is really beautiful too and far more scenic than Marfa or even Ft. Davis.

And you don't have to drive nearly as far to get to a major city.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:36 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Indeed Willcox is staying on our list of places to retire in because of all of these listed reasons. Tucson is our favorite large city to bound around in, too, so Willcox is about as far out as I'd like ta be. We could come in to Tucson every weekend of more often if there's a show we want to see at Club Congress.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
It's been a few years since I've been to Willcox but I've always liked the area. Thanks to Colt Cassidy for mentioning Rex Allen Days! I've been to a few of them, in fact I got Mr. Allen to sign a couple album covers for me at one of the festivals back in 1992. The albums were Mr. Cowboy (Decca DL78776) and Under Western Skies (Decca DL-8402) As personable a guy as you'd want to meet! He's one of the original "Silver Screen Cowboys.' along with Roy Rogers, Tex Ritter, and others.

It's been several years since I've been to the last one, saw Rex Jr. do a one hour set, then Suzy Bogguss do a one hour set as well. Had a great time!

When I've stayed in Willcox it's usually been at Motel 6 and I would walk down to the Plaza Restaurant for breakfast. A Mexican Food restaurant near the Motel 6 had good food, can't think of it's name. Last time I went through I noticed the T-A Truck Stop on the north side of the highway.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:59 AM

There's a Mexican restaurant near I-10 called Fiesta was it? We ate there a few times - not authentic but fairly good food. The TA has a buffet restaurant that was sort of plain but it was filling. While we lived in Willcox restaurants would start and then fail and close up.

It's a small town - we'll need to decide if we want to live that far out or just locate in the big city of Tucson or the small town I've been thinking of lately is Benson. Only about 40 miles SE of Tucson with fairly affordable housing, too.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:57 AM

42 posts, read 49,757 times
I grew up on a ranch outside of Willcox. It's a small little cowboy town. I love it there it's home for me and it's a lot more easy going than somewhere like Phoenix or Tucson. I dont get looks based on what I'm wearing back in Willcox as opposed to in Mesa or Phoenix. I can wear wranglers, cowboy boots, a western shirt, and a Stetson hat in Willcox and no one would think twice of it. But wearing that here in the Phoenix area, people look at me like I'm some kind of alien or something. If you like small town living, then Willcox is definitely a good place to be.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:00 AM

If you like small town living, then Willcox is definitely a good place to be.

I agree totally russell1985. It's staying on our list of potential retirement spots.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:45 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,526,493 times
I know they are having an auction at the end of the month for irrigated land -seems such can be had for $1000 an acre. Not sure how water rights are in Arizona.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The town has some pretty interesting architecture but it's really suffering - with many, many businesses closed and boarded up. It's trying hard to find a way to be reborn, but so far nothing has really worked. It's kind'a sad.

Ken
Thought I'd add an update to this. We've recently seen some signs of life in Wilcox and the old downtown area near the old train station is seeing some improvements with some new businesses starting to move in (most of them seem to be revolving around wine-tasting etc). I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I've always been fond of that part of Wilcox. Stay tuned.

Ken

Old 09-09-2016, 04:18 PM

673 posts, read 466,217 times
Willcox has a neat history. Last time there I went into a building and saw Dan Hagerty standing next to counter.
Property is very reasonable but be prepared........it can be boring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona