Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 05:58 AM

9 posts, read 16,154 times

Advertisements

I'm a 46-year-old married woman. Hubby Jim and I moved away from the Phoenix area, last Summer, in favor of a tiny town in Central Arizona. I worked in data entry & training for 8 years at a good company in Scottsdale, but we were ready to make a move.

We are looking for land to buy, so we moved to a tiny town (because we love the trailer park into which we moved)...But I need a clerical job, now. Hubby Jim receives disability benefits, but I can still work. I plan to commute 30 minutes to Kingman, AZ, once we move into an inexpensive trailer park we've found near Kingman.

I have grown accustomed to living as if I'm "retired" for almost one year, but I visited two job-placement services in Kingman: Manpower and the Kingman DES employment office.

My MAIN QUESTION IS: Who has a job in Kingman and what is your work environment like?

I've worked in libraries as well as a clerical job - mostly data entry, training, filing, etc...

At my previous place of employment of 8 years, we wore "business casual" clothes (jeans and sneakers were the "norm"). Also, the atmosphere (from the supervisors-on-down) was relaxed; not strict at all.

Although I'm aware of these two things: (a) Each company has its own personality, and (b) I can ask the employment-placement coordinators, I do not know what to expect in the city of Kingman: Do YOU notice a "general" work-place environment and/or personality?

Thank you for your feedback.

>>> Also, I'll be open to any experience you've had with employment agencies (temporary or permanent).

- January 30, 2016 -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 06:21 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,903 times
In my opinion I would not use manpower or the others. I would go online to State of Arizona, Mohave County, City of Kingman and Kingman Regional Medical Centers website's. Commuting to Kingman from Wikieup would be a challenge at times. Snow, road closures due to accidents but again Wikieup is almost a hour drive and not 30 minutes so maybe you are looking closer in.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:02 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
In my opinion I would not use manpower or the others. I would go online to State of Arizona, Mohave County, City of Kingman and Kingman Regional Medical Centers website's. Commuting to Kingman from Wikieup would be a challenge at times. Snow, road closures due to accidents but again Wikieup is almost a hour drive and not 30 minutes so maybe you are looking closer in.
TCR

Look to other nearby Cities as well, i.e. Laughlin/BHC if you're up for driving to Wikieup. Kingman to Wikieup can run you 50-1:30 on some days. If you're up for that, I'd get something comfortable, cheap and fuel efficient for such a drive.

Kingman will be primarily low paying work, if you possess some sort of education or training you'll have a better shot as Kingman doesn't have a ton of educated people living there. NOT to say that there aren't, but they aren't in abundance.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:19 AM

Just asking JGMotorsports64 what makes you a expert on Kingman? Do you live here or ever lived here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
TCR

Look to other nearby Cities as well, i.e. Laughlin/BHC if you're up for driving to Wikieup. Kingman to Wikieup can run you 50-1:30 on some days. If you're up for that, I'd get something comfortable, cheap and fuel efficient for such a drive.

Kingman will be primarily low paying work, if you possess some sort of education or training you'll have a better shot as Kingman doesn't have a ton of educated people living there. NOT to say that there aren't, but they aren't in abundance.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:09 PM

Default Question for rambrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
In my opinion I would not use manpower or the others. I would go online to State of Arizona, Mohave County, City of Kingman and Kingman Regional Medical Centers websites...
Thank you for reply. I will be commuting from Valle Vista, so I hope it will be a nice drive. But my question for you is this: Have you had a poor experience with Manpower? I might be appreciative if you are forewarning me of bad representation of Manpower.

I WILL look into those other web sites you mentioned as well.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:44 AM

It was many many moons ago since I have used a company similar to Manpower for myself. I just feel that its better to go knock on doors and shake the tree to locate employment.
Valle Vista is much closer commute and very doable.

Many years ago 15 or so the wife and I got married, problem was I was working in Goodyear and she working in Kingman. I could not locate work in Kingman at the time so we kept a apartment in Goodyear going plus a house in Kingman and we each commuted to the other on the weekends. This went on for three years. Finally found employment in Kingman and closed out the apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithimony View Post
Thank you for reply. I will be commuting from Valle Vista, so I hope it will be a nice drive. But my question for you is this: Have you had a poor experience with Manpower? I might be appreciative if you are forewarning me of bad representation of Manpower.

I WILL look into those other web sites you mentioned as well.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:12 PM

Thanks for your post. Finding work is always a challenge. Similar to your past experience, we have a "Plan B" (or Plan C?"..If I really have trouble finding work, in Kingman we may move back to Mesa & work where I used to. Have a good day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona