Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 04:50 PM

26 posts, read 49,313 times

Advertisements

Hello,

There are things a realtor will not tell you.

1) If you would.....I heard parts have all the speed users. Which part would that be to avoid?

2) Also, if one lived in NYC for many years and does not yet know how to drive would you choose Old Historic Bisbee (seemingly w stores but who knows what kind) or San jose, Bisbee w actual groceries and farmers Market...... If you are a WALKER (until driving is learned). *****

3) Does San jose other than groceries possess an overly quiet vibe compared to Old Bisbee ? **

4) Would a former city couple prefer old town or san jose?

5) Is there a form of uber there?

6) I assume we would have to get a rental for a month and determine some of this on our own before buying. The rental concerns me because this is where all the loud speed users are in most towns (don't be offended, your local resident, the comedian, has told all of us this numerous times while praising the town overall)? Every town or city has some drug issue.

Thank you so much or your time. Appreciate it a lot.

Last edited by untainted_swim; 10-27-2016 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 03:05 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
I don't live in Bisbee but I've seen there several times. It's a fun place to visit for lunch. I forget the name of the place but it is part market, near the top of the main street across from the city hall. Give it a try.

As for druggies, I'm sure it has it's share, but Bisbee is more of a marijuana type town it seems to me. Mellow, not tweak.

Learning to drive in Bisbee? Probably not. The town is mostly a tiny valley between steep hillsides. The roads are small and steep and clogged with tourists. The road TO Bisbee is a mountain drive. But I guess we all learn to drive wherever we learn to drive.

San Jose - California? No, about the opposite I'd say. San Jose, AZ, not even close, though both have some old buildings. Bisbee is like Jerome but nicer. Like Telluride but not nearly as scenic, or expensive. Like Ely, NV but not as big.

A former city couple would probably prefer someplace like Prescott or Show Low or Flagstaff or outside Sierra Vista. That way you aren't 30 miles from amenities, like a market, or gas station.

Doubt there is Uber, the whole town is only about a mile long.

You might find a rental. Maybe start with a bed and breakfast and look for something longer once you are there. Everyplace there is a bit too rustic for me. I forget the hotel, HI Express? but I stay that the one across from the main gate to the Army Post in Sierra Vista. It's a marginal 3 star but OK, mostly business folks from the base.

Someone who is into restoring old buildings could probably do well in Bisbee.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:51 AM

656 posts, read 813,621 times
Bisbee is located in the denuded Mule Mountains. Bisbee is five thousand people. You cannot avoid anyone, and must get along with everyone. If you have never lived in a tiny, isolated mountain town, visit it first before you do anything.

Instead of the random methhead, I would be more worried about being a few miles from a miltarized border and having to pass through a border patrol inspection every time you want to head north.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:07 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
[mod note: This post came from another thread related to the OPs questions and was moved here, and was originally posted by "teddyearp". "He/She is the author of the text below. Sorry for any confusion.]

Ultimately, with all these questions if I were you, I would start a new thread, ideally hit the red triangle in the upper right corner to report your post and then ask for your post to be the OP of a new thread with perhaps a title of, "Several questions about Bisbee". But I will try to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untainted_swim View Post
Hello,

If there is a better place to post I have yet to find please let me know (for Bisbee).

There are things an agent will not tell you.

1) If you would.....I heard parts have all the speed users. Which part would that be to avoid?

2) Also, if one lived in NYC for many years and does not yet know how to drive would you choose Old Historic Bisbee (seemingly w stores) or San jose, Bisbee w actual groceries and farmers Market? If you are a walker (until driving is learned). *****

3) Is San jose other than groceries possess a dead vibe compared to Old Bisbee ?

4) Would a former city couple prefer old town ?

5) Is there a form of uber there?

6) I assume we would have to get a rental for a month and determine some of this on our own before buying. The rental concerns me because this is where all the loud speed users are in most towns (don't be offended, your local resident, the comedian, has told all of us this numerous times while praising the town overall)? Every town or city has some drug issue.

Thank you so much or your time. Appreciated a lot.
1) First let me ask/clarify, I am sure you mean by speed users, you mean tweakers? Bisbee is so small, it would be hard to identify the neighborhoods that are rife with speed users.

2) Since Bisbee is so small driving around in it is no problem at all.

3) do not know what you are asking here.

4) Coming from NYC (as you state) you will experience quite a culture shock moving to Bisbee, AZ no mater what part of town you choose.

5) No.

6) Who is this local resident, the comedian?

As I said, you would be better to have these questions moved to their own thread. Granted the last time I was through Bisbee was about 12 years or so ago, I am sure it hasn't changed that much. Bisbee is a small artsy town. I personally didn't see much of a tweaker presence there, but as you say, they are everywhere. It is much much smaller than NYC and very different. Not only that, but AZ as a state is much different than NY as a state.

good luck

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 10-30-2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I don't live in Bisbee but I've seen there several times. It's a fun place to visit for lunch. I forget the name of the place but it is part market, near the top of the main street across from the city hall. Give it a try.

As for druggies, I'm sure it has it's share, but Bisbee is more of a marijuana type town it seems to me. Mellow, not tweak.

Learning to drive in Bisbee? Probably not. The town is mostly a tiny valley between steep hillsides. The roads are small and steep and clogged with tourists. The road TO Bisbee is a mountain drive. But I guess we all learn to drive wherever we learn to drive.

San Jose - California? No, about the opposite I'd say. San Jose, AZ, not even close, though both have some old buildings. Bisbee is like Jerome but nicer. Like Telluride but not nearly as scenic, or expensive. Like Ely, NV but not as big.

A former city couple would probably prefer someplace like Prescott or Show Low or Flagstaff or outside Sierra Vista. That way you aren't 30 miles from amenities, like a market, or gas station.

Doubt there is Uber, the whole town is only about a mile long.

You might find a rental. Maybe start with a bed and breakfast and look for something longer once you are there. Everyplace there is a bit too rustic for me. I forget the hotel, HI Express? but I stay that the one across from the main gate to the Army Post in Sierra Vista. It's a marginal 3 star but OK, mostly business folks from the base.

Someone who is into restoring old buildings could probably do well in Bisbee.

THANK YOU for the reply. San Jose is a neighborhood in Bisbee w all the groceries and sundries. I am trying to figure out what is better that or another part of Bisbee called Old Bisbee. Trying to figure out what stores are there. I appreciate your reply and hope someone who lives there will reply one of these day

Old 10-28-2016, 04:22 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I would make sure that I had a driver's license and a car before I moved to Bisbee, AZ. Or get it shortly thereafter, anyway. There is a Dollar General, it can't be that bad. It's in the little community just to the southwest of town, just past the Copper Queen Mine. I still have this quaint little town on my retirement possibilities list.

If you love history or even like history, this is your town. It used to be the biggest city between San Francisco and St. Louis. It used to be a Stock Exchange kinda town, you can still see a replica board up at the Stock Exchange lounge, and see where the various NYSE numbers would fluctuate during a busy Bisbee day long, long ago.

Oh, there's history here. It is still lingering there. Perfect. The IWW conflict of 1917 - union miners demanding things that union dudes demand, a mining job that won't kill them and still return them a decent paycheck biweekly. When things started really ticking them off, they decided to fight for their rights. Like Union dudes and dudettes usually do, right? Only this time, the mining company owners wouldn't stand for the fighting. They wanted the "goods" outta the mine, they wanted to get rich(er). So, they got the Bisbee police on their side. Bisbee police had guns and were bought off - I...I mean wanting to side with the mining company in order to restore peace to the small but very busy southern Arizona city.

Well, a clash occurred one night. IIRC three were shot and killed and all the miners were taken at gunpoint and marched up the street to tiny, nearby town Warren, AZ. They were loaded eventually onto railcars and taken to a remote part of the New Mexico wilderness and told to get off the train. In the middle of the desert, no less! Hey, at least they weren't shot to death right then and there, right? You can't make this stuff up - look it up on Google and you'll dig all the cool background history of this little town in the Mule Mountains.

Now, it's true, Tombstone sort of steals Bisbee's thunder for indentifiable history with their 'Shootout at the OK Corral." But, to me, Bisbee's shines much brighter than tiny Tombstone for cool, real vibrant history.

A visit to Bisbee will tell you a lot. I would not move to Bisbee off of internet information, no way. You really have to drive or fly out to PHX or TUC and rent a car and drive down towards the US-Mexico border into the Mule Mountains and see this place for yourself. I think the only thing that could force me out of retiring there is it's remoteness. IIRC it's about 80 miles SE of Tucson, similar to Willcox's distance from Tucson. We lived in Willcox for 3 2/3's years, and it remains on the retirement list, too. Real estate is affordable and it's close to the Chiricahua National Monument and historic Fort Bowie, where the Cavalry took Geronimo to hold while the Gub-Mint decided his fate. SE Arizona is so chock full of fun that a retirement in New Mexico would probably just be...different. But not as cool and fun. But anybody wanting to settle in Bisbee best check it out in person and stay in a hotel there (Bisbee has many cool, historic hotels you can choose from), or Benson, or Tucson, or a Bed 'N Breakfast nearby first. Don't just buy a place sight unseen and move there without visiting first.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:37 PM

Now, it's true, Tombstone sort of steals Bisbee's thunder for indentifiable history with their 'Shootout at the OK Corral." But, to me, Bisbee's shines much brighter than tiny Tombstone for cool, real vibrant history.

A visit to Bisbee will tell you a lot. I would not move to Bisbee off of internet information, no way. You really have to drive or fly out to PHX or TUC and rent a car and drive down towards the US-Mexico border into the Mule Mountains and see this place for yourself. I think the only thing that could force me out of retiring there is it's remoteness. IIRC it's about 80 miles SE of Tucson, similar to Willcox's distance from Tucson. We lived in Willcox for 3 2/3's years, and it remains on the retirement list, too. Real estate is affordable and it's close to the Chiricahua National Monument and historic Fort Bowie, where the Cavalry took Geronimo to hold while the Gub-Mint decided his fate. SE Arizona is so chock full of fun that a retirement in New Mexico would probably just be...different. But not as cool and fun. But anybody wanting to settle in Bisbee best check it out in person and stay in a hotel there (Bisbee has many cool, historic hotels you can choose from), or Benson, or Tucson, or a Bed 'N Breakfast nearby first. Don't just buy a place sight unseen and move there without visiting first.[/quote] >>>>>>>

HI,
Indeed, we are going to visit first. We are in LA, CA now so only 8 hour drive. NYC before that. Despise big towns now. In childhood did a couple tiny towns. We were thinking Austin before this but the homes keep going up and up and the growth is a drag to me. It was a LOVELY small town feel (to me) just 6 years ago. And it still had all the amenities of high end if you desired once in a while.
Yes, I have read a lot of the Bisbee history and adore it and agree it has more than tombstone!

When I review what the realtors send me it states Warren is IN Bisbee, this is why I wanted a local to say their opinion was to be in San Jose, Bisbee w groceries or Old town Bisbee w alot more charm but unsure what those stores provide.
Thanks kindly for your interesting reply.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:32 PM

When I review what the realtors send me it states Warren is IN Bisbee, this is why I wanted a local to say their opinion was to be in San Jose, Bisbee w groceries or Old town Bisbee w alot more charm but unsure what those stores provide.
Thanks kindly for your interesting reply.

Ahh, yes, I want to read that information from a local, too. My mind is literally a Bisbee information sponge right now. In 4 years, 9 months, 22 days, 5 hours, 35 minutes and 29 seconds, I plan to retire. We will no doubt head to Arizona somewhere to retire. Arizona is the place we've lived that is the most stimulating to live in. My home state of War-shing-ton is so expensive and crowded that it's very doubtful we'd head to the Pacific NW to retire in.

They do have the nation's best NFL team, though, the Seattle Seahawk's. And fairly soon all the knuckleheads trying to block the return of the New World Order Seattle Supersonic's are going to have to eat some serious crow. Former Sonic's Gary Payton, Wally Walker and at least two rich businessmen are trying to find stadium locations, funding and...here's the tough one...support of the Seattle City Council and King County citizens. Wow. It's really like pulling teeth. NBA basketball was never, ever like this in the "olden" days - say the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. Post Twin Tower economics and politics seem to squash intelligence and good thought patterns. So much so that I have to wonder what makes these people tick, ya know? A lot of hatred going on out there. Geronimo had ta deal with hatred. Hatred and anger and live, painful bullets.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:37 PM

Bisbee has its own baseball team you can cheer on and JOHN ROCKER has played w them or plans on it just for fun.

I assume you saw the weather in Bisbee differs alot from Tuscan. No hot summers and the mild winters.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:45 PM

I hear that the baseball stadium in Warren might quite possibly be the oldest continuously operating baseball park in the U.S. How's that for history? I know, Bisbee is just too cool for school. And, what's more, due to it's...umm...sort of undesirable location to live in, a mass migration of Amuricans is probably not going to even come close to happening. It's too far from...anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona