Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,228 times

Advertisements

So, if you don't know what a catio is, it's a half-outdoors sort of block in for cats that like the outdoors. I was considering building one and of course making it above ground, but, the issue is the mesh part of the fence. Scorpions can get in easy, so is there any way to get them from climbing in?? Also, an image to help you get an idea of what I'm building.
http://catioshowcase.com/wp-content/...04/Catnip5.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 01:47 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,961 times
Maybe I'm crazy but I don't know that a mesh and metal walkway in the sky would be of that much interest to scorps except as a way to get from point A to point B, possibly.

Cats are also pretty quick critters, I have to think if they saw a scorpion they'd steer clear or otherwise deal with it. Some cats will hunt them, in fact, from what I'm reading.

Here is an article on cats, scorpions and Phoenix that came up when I googled the topic: CLICK HERE.

In terms of scorpions getting into your house through the opening, it's possible but scorpions are pretty small so there's probably already a hundred ways they can get into your house if they want to. Some dog doors and cat doors have like poly/vinyl plastic that hangs down to cover the hole in the door, or they have a hard piece of plastic you can secure the hole with better when it is not in use.

Anyway, I learned something new today. Had never heard of/seen a catio. It's like an enclosed doggy door plus walkway/play area. Interesting.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,228 times
Thanks, it's an old house so we're way beyond scorpions falling out of the roof but we always do find them in the bathtubs and in the couches during the summer, just wondering how to maybe prevent seeing more. Thinking it through, I don't think my cat would even want to be outside during the summer...
Still, the article was pretty helpful! Thanks!

Old 01-06-2017, 04:40 PM

299 posts, read 545,546 times
In the house put a lot of baking soda where your cats cannot get it. If you have not already, look up how to clean up your yard, bushes, etc. outside, and inside the home. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2017, 06:28 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
I thought I read on here a while back that cats couldn't get stung because of some double skin..

Old 02-11-2017, 09:58 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
Scorpions follow a migration path. When something disturbs that path (like a new home being built some where close), the path changes. If that change happens to be in the direction of your house now, you're stuck with them. My nephew had this problem when he lived in Chandler. He had the exterminator visit regularly but, that didn't help much. Then he paid $5,000 (20 years ago) to have the entire house sealed inside and out, that didn't really work either. Then he got a cat, that worked. Cats are immune to their sting. The cat would find them and play with them until they died (like a cat plays with a mouse).

Old 02-13-2017, 11:18 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Scorpions follow a migration path. When something disturbs that path (like a new home being built some where close), the path changes. If that change happens to be in the direction of your house now, you're stuck with them. My nephew had this problem when he lived in Chandler. He had the exterminator visit regularly but, that didn't help much. Then he paid $5,000 (20 years ago) to have the entire house sealed inside and out, that didn't really work either. Then he got a cat, that worked. Cats are immune to their sting. The cat would find them and play with them until they died (like a cat plays with a mouse).
Scorpions have a migration path? lolol Where do people come up with this nonsense?

Scorpions do whatever they want, raom wherever they want, and eat whatever they want. They don't migrate, and besides only one species in AZ (Centruroides exilicauda), they do NOT live together. They're cannibalistic and stay apart from one another. To suggest they migrate along paths is absurd.

OP, the best thing to do would be to line the opening with plexi glass, at least 2-4" around each side. Scorpions cant climb slippery surfaces. Not even the vaunted bark scorpion (the only scorpion to climb vertical surfaces regularly).

Old 02-16-2017, 02:25 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Scorpions have a migration path? lolol Where do people come up with this nonsense?

Scorpions do whatever they want, raom wherever they want, and eat whatever they want. They don't migrate, and besides only one species in AZ (Centruroides exilicauda), they do NOT live together. They're cannibalistic and stay apart from one another. To suggest they migrate along paths is absurd.

OP, the best thing to do would be to line the opening with plexi glass, at least 2-4" around each side. Scorpions cant climb slippery surfaces. Not even the vaunted bark scorpion (the only scorpion to climb vertical surfaces regularly).
That's the way the exterminator explained it as well as the company that sealed the house.

I personally have seen two species in AZ...I don't know what they're called but, one is much larger than the other.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:21 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
I think catios are a cool idea. However I do worry about it in the summer time. Would the floor material be heat resistant? Will that leave a permanent hole in your wall or window to let the hot air in while you are running that expensive A/C? Would the cat be able to burn itself on the material used for the walls and roof?

Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
How about just using a finer mesh screen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona