Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:54 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,257,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I'll suggest looking at Sierra Vista in SE Arizona. I'm sure you could find a very nice home in your price range. You could probably find a job with the city government or even on the military base. There's a food coop (close to the base) that has a wide variety of vitamins.

Best time of day to take the dogs out in the summers is early in the morning or after sunset.

Sierra Vista has +35,000 population with many big box stores: Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, Walmart, Sears, Dillards, Ross Dress for Less. Grocery stores: Fry's, Safeway and Food City. There's numerous big name restaurants. It's very easy to learn how the streets are laid out and to find your way around and traffic is minimal compared to the big cities.

There are many hiking trails. While the city is not highly walkable, it depends on where you choose to live. The city also has a transit system.

Sierra Vista is usually 10 degrees cooler than Tucson which is great in the summertime. This area does not get much snow. I've only seen a very light dusting three times while I've lived here and it was gone by midmorning. The peaks on Huachuca and Whetsone Mountains will be scenic when covered snow
Deelighted, what is the closest airport to Sierra Vista that could take me to Southern California and also to Newark,NJ? Thanks much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 10:26 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
That would be Tucson International which is a little over an hour's drive from Sierra Vista. Sierra Vista does have a small municipal airport.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
That would be Tucson International which is a little over an hour's drive from Sierra Vista. Sierra Vista does have a small municipal airport.
Thanks much!

Old 01-29-2017, 08:09 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Deelighted, what is the closest airport to Sierra Vista that could take me to Southern California and also to Newark,NJ? Thanks much?
While Tucson has a major airport, its fares can be substantially higher than flying out of Phoenix Sky Harbor, ESPECIALLY on flights east. We find ourselves flying out of Phoenix about half of the time although we are much closer to Tucson.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
While Tucson has a major airport, its fares can be substantially higher than flying out of Phoenix Sky Harbor, ESPECIALLY on flights east. We find ourselves flying out of Phoenix about half of the time although we are much closer to Tucson.
Thanks jlawrence01.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 PM

83 posts, read 68,178 times
If you're looking for a place to retire, AZ is the place for you. AZ can be conservative at times but we still have quite a few liberal cities.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:03 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
OP, it sounds like Tucson would be your best fit. Its got the big city your looking for but still feels like a small town. Very laid back living and friendly people. I'd avoid a lot of smaller towns in AZ and you'll be fine (Kingman, Yuma, Eloy, etc).

Kingman is currently coming in at #4 on my Arizona potential retirement home list. I like it's proximity to Lost Wages. And not to gamble, to see bands, eat cheap food, go up in the big 'ole tower thing, etc.

What do any of y'all know about Casa Grande? The hospital there at times advertises my skillset (haven't checked their ads this week) and I also like it's proximity to Tucson and Phoenix. Stayed at a hotel there during the time I had just procured a job in Willcox, AZ, in medical, in 2006, and the innkeeper said that Casa Grande was projected to hit 2.5 million people in 15 years or something like that. I immediately looked at my wife with a "what the blank" type look - we would discuss that subject later, anyway. What do any of ya think about Casa Grande?

Old 02-07-2017, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,921 times
Not sure that Az. is your spot.

You should rent in "the valley" through a full summer (and, believe me, summer rents are cheap) before you decide. You do not know hot until you've lived in the deserts of Az. I was born & raised there and would never live there again.

The mountain communities have your 4 seasons, but check to see if they have all of the shopping you need. With the exceptions of Flagstaff and Prescott, you're a long way from a Trader Joe's!

The more rural you get in Az, the more conservative the politics. A "Feel the Bern" sticker on your car will not be welcomed. You won't get shot, but you might get scowled at.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:21 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Thanks everyone for your answers. Altho we were thinking of Washington, I am afraid how we would feel with the cold and wet. Big difference between age 16 and 64. I also liked the idea of Tempe being close to major medical care/ hospitals. As you get older, medical care is also something you need to consider-especially in small towns. (I know Washington has good hospitals- that's not the issue. It's the weather)

Eastern Washington and Oregon are very different from the western side. A lot less rain, and generally warmer, on the other side of the mountains. As far as Arizona is concerned, I would look at Tucson area.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:20 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
One great thing about Sierra Vista is how close it is to Mexico, which is fun to visit for a few days. If looking in the PNW, consider Bend, Oregon. Of course, a lot of California would seen to fit your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona