Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,902 times

Advertisements

I have a 1993 Nissan Sentra that didn't pass emissions. Idle passed with 202 HC an CO of .03%. Failed loaded reading with 288 HC and 5.29% CO. Standard being 220 HC and 1.2% CO. There is no check engine light on! Is there way to pass without spending a lot of money. Can I take to auto parts store to have tested? Does anyone know good emissions mechanic? I am going to change air filter, put sea foam in and premium gas. Any other advice? There is repair information that has to be filled out. There is do-it-yourself box on form. Can I just check that box and do the things I listed and have it retested or will that not be enough? Can I do the fake address thing and say I live in another county? Do I have to get tags in county that I use on fake address? Is this illegal and how much trouble can I get in? Don't feel results are that bad for age of car. Car still has plenty of life left in it so I am willing to bend a few stupid rules to get it registered. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 02:55 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Where are you located, Vmsbmvp?

If Pima County . . . there is an ADOT Station on Tucson's Southside. When I was having Emission Test problems on my '86 Jeep CJ-7 about ten years ago, they were very accommodating and willing to help.

Much better and far less expensive than getting caught trying to circumvent the Emission Laws.

Good Luck.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:45 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Seems like this has been on-going since your only other post was last year about emissions testing in Utah. And yes, it is illegal to "bend a few stupid rules" to get your car to pass emissions. We have emissions testing for a reason...we kind of like clean air and reducing the Brown Cloud effect on our metros. There are plenty of mechanics around that can work on your car and get them to pass emissions, probably wouldn't cost too much either. A simple Google Search:

Elevated hydrocarbon (HC) emissions usually indicate ignition misfire due to fouled spark plugs or a bad plug. But high HC emissions can also be caused by burned exhaust valves (check compression), lean misfire (check for vacuum leaks, low fuel pressure or dirty injectors), or rich fuel conditions (fuel saturated carburetor floats, excessive fuel pressure, leaky injectors or a dead O2 sensor).

High carbon monoxide (CO) emissions are a telltale sign of a rich fuel mixture. On older carbureted vehicles, fuel-saturated plastic floats, incorrect float settings, leaky power valves and misadjusted chokes are often responsible for the rich mixture. On newer vehicles with feedback fuel controls and fuel injection, leaky injectors, excessive fuel pressure and sluggish or contaminated O2 sensors are all possibilities to investigate.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:41 PM

848 posts, read 968,395 times
They actually tested your real emissions? I've had two emissions tests since I've been here (initial registration upon moving to AZ 3 years ago and then last year for renewal) and they didn't test the actual emissions. They checked the computer, checked the gas cap, peeked under the hood...I think...and that's it. They basically just kicked the tires and sent me on my way. No tail pipe test, no dyno, nothing.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:31 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
They actually tested your real emissions? I've had two emissions tests since I've been here (initial registration upon moving to AZ 3 years ago and then last year for renewal) and they didn't test the actual emissions. They checked the computer, checked the gas cap, peeked under the hood...I think...and that's it. They basically just kicked the tires and sent me on my way. No tail pipe test, no dyno, nothing.

They tested mine last month. And did all those other checks.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:51 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
That works for newer cars. OP is testing an 1993 Sentra.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:47 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
That works for newer cars. OP is testing an 1993 Sentra.
Exactly, Kurt . . .

My 1986 Jeep CJ-7 receives the full test routine while my 2005 Chevy SSR just receives the simple "computer plug-in" test.

Either way, the rewards of Clean "Breathable" Air make it all worthwhile.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:40 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,240,126 times
Yeah, do the "fake address thing". Good god.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:30 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
On older vehicles like 60's - 80's people just put alcohol in with their gas and then go fill up after passing.

Not sure how that would work on a 93 import?

Beating emissions is a joke. Pre obd, obdii II, doesn't matter. Buddy of mine beat it last month with a $5 part.

Join a forum for your make/model and ask they will know specifics.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:46 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,692,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Exactly, Kurt . . .

My 1986 Jeep CJ-7 receives the full test routine while my 2005 Chevy SSR just receives the simple "computer plug-in" test.

Either way, the rewards of Clean "Breathable" Air make it all worthwhile.
my 20+ year-old 2-cycle weed-whacker puts out way more smog than both of your cars & you can pry it from my
Cold.
Dead.
Hands.

Just sayin'

;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona