Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 29,986 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently on a business trip to Scottsdale from India and have worked in US in the past. I plan to get the Arizona driver's license done within the next 2 weeks. I have work SSN and other appropriate documents available.

I have looked over the Internet and could not find much relevant information for my situation. Although, I can drive on a business trip with a valid home country license I would be back in a couple of months on a valid work visa where I am bound to carry the state's driver's license along with other documentations (while driving of course). Since I am on a business trip, my current address is of the hotel in which I am staying for the next 2.5 weeks.

What is the process to get this done and would it be feasible to get this done in 2 weeks time? Also, can I mention the hotel's address on the application form?

Your help would be highly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
I would wait to get it until you get here on the visa. As far as I know, it's something you can do all in the same day, if you go to the MVD office and take the test and do whatever else is needed. I suppose you could do it on your trip, and then change to your actual address once you get back here on your work visa. Either way, it can get done in a matter of hours, unless the procedures for foreign nationals on a work visa are markedly different than for residents.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
You will need the AZ license when you move here to work:

Quote:
39) What is needed for a person from another country to drive in Arizona?
You may legally drive in Arizona using a valid driver license from another country. An International Driving License or Permit is not required, but is recommended since it can be printed in English, and can be used in conjunction with the driver license from the other country. If an International Driving License or Permit is used alone, it must be issued by a country other than the United States. Vehicle rental companies may have additional requirements.
However, Arizona law requires that you obtain an Arizona driver license (and vehicle registration) immediately if any one of the following applies. If you:
  1. Work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work) -or-
  2. Are registered to vote in Arizona -or-
  3. Place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident -or-
  4. Have a business that has an office in Arizona, and that bases and operates vehicles in this state -or-
  5. Obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident -or-
  6. Have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona -or-
  7. Remain in Arizona for a total of 7 months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.
Out-of-state students enrolled with 7 or more semester hours are not considered Arizona residents, regardless of employment.
Active duty military personnel based in Arizona who qualify for exemption under the Service Members Civil Relief Act of 2003 are not considered Arizona residents.
Motor Vehicle Division=

Open up the .pdf file for identification requirements found on this link

Motor Vehicle Division

You will need to have a copy of your visa/paperwork to get your drivers license ... if you have that on you now I could see getting it and then paying the change fee to update your address

I think it would be best though to wait until you get settled and just go and get it done when you have your longer term address ....... the less you have to deal with the motor vehicle department, the better for your sanity

Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 29,986 times
Thank you observer53 and Finger Laker for the valuable information!

Would the license smart card be issued on the same day as well or would it be sent through the snail-mail; maybe this would be an issue if this gets delayed by a few days even if the entire process takes just a single day.

-Thanks

Old 11-08-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popofibo View Post
Thank you observer53 and Finger Laker for the valuable information!

Would the license smart card be issued on the same day as well or would it be sent through the snail-mail; maybe this would be an issue if this gets delayed by a few days even if the entire process takes just a single day.

-Thanks
If it is the same as for residents (and I don't see any indication that it's not) you will be handed the license the same day.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,357 times
My wife went to get her AZ license the day her green card was approved. But the first green card is conditional for two years. MVD made her license valid for one year from that date and again when she renewed it a year later. Now she has the regular license like the rest of us have. But pay attention to that expiration date. She forgot about it and almost didn't get let onto a flight back east when they noticed it for her.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 14,654 times
hi ihave got full british driving licence, can i drive in phoenix with out having USA driving Licence???

Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabaraj View Post
hi ihave got full british driving licence, can i drive in phoenix with out having USA driving Licence???

As a tourist, yes. If you are moving here and taking a job, no.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:06 AM

1 posts, read 8,430 times
Hi, My license from the Philippines will expire in 3 weeks but I am staying for a couple more months. I am here on a tourist VISA. What can I do to still be able to drive? Thanks.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,089 times
Hi,
Iam having Australian driving license,Do i need to take the Road test to get the License or the Online Test?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona