Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:44 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,966 times

Advertisements

Very few people die from snake bites in AZ. More die from getting a cold.

Some people have irrational fears when it comes to snakes and all the stats in the world won't help them get over it.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:59 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Very few people die from snake bites in AZ. More die from getting a cold.

Some people have irrational fears when it comes to snakes and all the stats in the world won't help them get over it.

Yep, that would be me!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:02 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
If ya sit on a buzzworm and get bitten on the rear, you tend to find out who your friends are

Old 06-20-2008, 11:42 AM

Okay, I get it - rattlesnakes are just a fact of life when you live in AZ. But what should you do if:

1. You're walking/hiking/biking and you hear the rattler but can't see it?

2. You're walking/hiking/biking and you can hear and see the rattler?

3. You see one in your backyard - or even worse in your house (is it even possible that they can get in your house?)

4. When walking/hiking would having a big stick be of any help at all?

5. What is the "safest" distance you can be from a rattler before it strikes?

6. When walking/hiking are you allowed to kill one if it is about to strike?

Are they less active when it's 100+ compared to cooler weather?

Any other "safety" tips when it comes to confronting a rattler would be most appreciated.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Okay, I get it - rattlesnakes are just a fact of life when you live in AZ. But what should you do if:

1. You're walking/hiking/biking and you hear the rattler but can't see it?

2. You're walking/hiking/biking and you can hear and see the rattler?

3. You see one in your backyard - or even worse in your house (is it even possible that they can get in your house?)

4. When walking/hiking would having a big stick be of any help at all?

5. What is the "safest" distance you can be from a rattler before it strikes?

6. When walking/hiking are you allowed to kill one if it is about to strike?

Are they less active when it's 100+ compared to cooler weather?

Any other "safety" tips when it comes to confronting a rattler would be most appreciated.
1. Stop immediately and identify where the sound is coming from. Once you see the rattler, take 2 big steps away from it, and simply go around, giving it a wide berth.

2. Give it a wide berth and go around it.

3. Keep an eye on it and call the FD or Animal Control. Tucson's FD gets several thousand calls a year to remove rattlers from peoples' yards. They bring a big wood box, grab it with some snake tongs, put it in the box, and relocate it out in the wilderness. If its in your house (more than likely the garage if anywhere)? Follow the same steps.

4. No, not really, unless youre walking in heavy brush, where you can check the bushes before you pass them. I do it all the time with my snake hook... Ill bend down a bit, and lift some of the branches up and take a peek under before I pass. Sometimes rattlers will climb up a few feet into bushes, so dont always expect to find them on the ground only. If youre just walking in your neighborhood and find one, just simply give it a wide berth and go around it. A stick wont do you any good unless you plan to harass it.

5. They can generally strike with 1/3rd their body length, sometimes a little more. As a safety measure, give yourself at least 8-10'.

6. Some species are protected, so the answer can be 'yes' and 'no'. Why kill it? If its about to strike, that means youve been given ample time and warning to back away. Just leave it alone, plain and simple.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:57 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
I live in a rural area here in San Diego, California. I see many different creatures out here, and I always knew snakes were in the area but have never seen anything besides a very small garter snake.

That changed today, I came home at about 6:30 and right in front of my door was a large snake, at first I didn't know what kind it was, I just knew I wasn't about to try and walk over it into my door, I was hoping it would leave. I then noticed the rattler and realized that it was definitely a rattle snake. It didn't seem concerned with me, but I was giving it plenty of space. It then crawled behind a shrub I have, and started rattling once it went behind there, I was able to safely enter my home, no harm done.

Problem is I don't want to run into one when I'm doing yard work now, but like I said I'm not surprised they are out here, they probably always have been, I've just never seen one. All I can do I suppose is to be very careful and watch wherever I'm going, especially when it's very warm like it has been this week.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
Wow quite a story. It must have been one of these three types?

What Rattlesnakes Are Found Around San Diego? (http://www.sdnhm.org/research/herpetology/resources4b.html#found - broken link)

Old 06-21-2008, 12:09 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Wow quite a story. It must have been one of these three types?

What Rattlesnakes Are Found Around San Diego? (http://www.sdnhm.org/research/herpetology/resources4b.html#found - broken link)

It's hard to tell which one it was from the photos, they look similar in many ways. What I can tell you is the one I saw was green, which would make it very camouflaged in shrubs or something else that's green.

It was actually very neat looking, but I imagine a bite from this would have made someone very sick. That's the first time I've ever seen a rattlesnake up close in my life, a bit intimidating at first, but I'm glad it moved out of the way so I could get in my house.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:07 AM

861 posts, read 2,192,102 times
A sure fire cure for your rattler problems.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
A sure fire cure for your rattler problems.

That's exactly what I was thinking ... I guess I need to check up on the gun laws of AZ. I think owning a gun will keep me safe in many ways. And thanks MichaelinWA -- great website!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona