Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move to Payson if it had a better economy?
Probably Yes 4 19.05%
Definetly No 12 57.14%
Dont like their winter or I would 1 4.76%
I'm content where I am 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 06:33 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah this is pretty much how I see it. I also checked the average wind speeds and Kingman is much higher than Payson which is a huge negative for us. While I was looking at Kingman housing today, I discovered the area of Pinion Pines which is at 5000' like Payson and obviously is green and has pines. Kingman land and house prices are much cheaper so that is a good thing. The monthly temps are pretty nice from my point of view.

I know in the springtime that whole area gets lots of wind. Kingman is cheaper. But I just checked the area called Pinion Pines and there are two houses for sale. One for 500K and one for $1.1 million. Only 180 people up there. And it looks like shrubs not pine trees. For that kind of money Prescott or Sedona would make more sense. And you get to dine and shop in either Prescott or Sedona, not Kingman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 08:26 PM

213 posts, read 131,739 times
Fun to visit, but not a place I'd live. I like the "big city" feel and prefer low elevations (I get altitude sickness).

Old 07-21-2020, 08:53 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
At one point I thought, "I could live up here." However, I realize I'm too much of a city guy to live in a small town. It's a lovely area and we scoot up there often to get away from the heat of the valley. However, these days it seems like half the valley residents also head up there for the weekend as the roads are crowded and recreational spots are as well. We thought we'd be smart one weekend and head to Payson to escape the maddness, ha! We ran into I-17ish traffic on the way down! Payson is changing even as I type this.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:11 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
I voted definitely no for the following reasons...
Drug problems...“This has become a huge thing, we have had to change how we handle drugs in the field and how we package drugs (as evidence). I don’t mess with anything bare-handed anymore,” said the detective with 25 years experience on the street.
https://www.paysonroundup.com/news/d...da8f7ed16.html

With drugs comes Burglary problems. Payson is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to Arizona, Payson has a crime rate that is higher than 73% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=Osk...=1595394542303

Old 07-22-2020, 09:57 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
That is the problem with Destination sickness...you start seeing yourself living in a place you visit and gloss over all the downside. Payson hasn't changed all that much over the years except to attract more fast food joints and a higher CoL than 8 years ago.

Payson is not even a Destination, it is the town you drive through to get to your destination, whether it be a cabin, the Rim, camping, lakes, etc. You want to see the dysfunction in Payson, hit up any one of their FB groups and revel in the partisan fighting between the "Pioneer Families" (who still think they own the town) the Newcomer Conservatives and the growing number of Newcomer Liberals. Add to the fact that their Internet access is shoddy at best, their healthcare consists of making trips to the Valley, 50%+ of the residents are retirees and the people who are still working in Payson? Either commuting to the Valley or living with a median income of $33k.

Then there is this whole thing with ASU supposedly building a satellite campus that never appeared, the Good Ol Boys network that was running the town (and in some instances still does)...it would take a LOT for Payson to be a viable alternative for anyone other than a retiree.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:13 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
That is the problem with Destination sickness...you start seeing yourself living in a place you visit and gloss over all the downside. Payson hasn't changed all that much over the years except to attract more fast food joints and a higher CoL than 8 years ago.

Payson is not even a Destination, it is the town you drive through to get to your destination, whether it be a cabin, the Rim, camping, lakes, etc. You want to see the dysfunction in Payson, hit up any one of their FB groups and revel in the partisan fighting between the "Pioneer Families" (who still think they own the town) the Newcomer Conservatives and the growing number of Newcomer Liberals. Add to the fact that their Internet access is shoddy at best, their healthcare consists of making trips to the Valley, 50%+ of the residents are retirees and the people who are still working in Payson? Either commuting to the Valley or living with a median income of $33k.

Then there is this whole thing with ASU supposedly building a satellite campus that never appeared, the Good Ol Boys network that was running the town (and in some instances still does)...it would take a LOT for Payson to be a viable alternative for anyone other than a retiree.
That happened to a coworker of mine from a job I had until 5 years ago. Was a Phoenix native, but eventually got a job driving a freight route from Tucson to Globe and Payson. So he moved to Payson. But then the route went to another driver, and his wife and kids didn't want to move back to Phoenix so he was having to make the 180 mile round trip 5 days a week to Phoenix while still living in Payson. It was making him miserable just to keep his wife and kids happy

Old 07-22-2020, 10:28 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post

This is an eye-opener! Thanks for sharing your insights.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:54 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
This is an eye-opener! Thanks for sharing your insights.
Oh it is not from lack of trying by some folks in the Payson community. The problem is...most don't want it to change. They moved there to get away from the city. You can drive across town (on a non-weekend day) is less than 5 minutes.

Problem is their largest industries exist to service the citizens of Payson. Personal Services, Professional Services and Restaurants make up the top 3 registered businesses. Granted, the GM of the Walmart makes a good living (typically in the $110k range) but there are no really upward mobility jobs for any young person wanting to get a job. They have to leave town...as is the case with most small towns. But the money isn't being generated from residents...they are reliant on tourists travelling through and retiree income. Not to mention they have some of the highest sales tax rates in the state.

Don't get me wrong...you want to move to Payson, more power to you. Just do it with your eyes open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona