Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood1999 View Post
There is absolutely no basis for these checks. No studies have confirmed that people with bad credit are poor employees, bribe risks, or have bad character. It's all speculative and should be illegal for ALL jobs. Many kids are coming out of college now with bad credit and it's no wonder they can't get a job. Minimum wage jobs do not pay rent. What do most people get when they are out of school or the parents house? They usually start out with low paying jobs and zero understanding of how the credit system works. I had a friend that jacked his credit up because he paid late all the time. He thought his credit would be better since the late fee was larger than his payment, which means the creditor makes much more money off of him than someone paying on time. It's a crooked system that should have a nice course in high school dedicated to understanding it. Also, before one attends college they should be warned of how this system that favors the rich can hurt their chances of getting any good job after school. It is a horrible cycle that keeps kids coming from poor families from moving up. I'm usually not a boo hooer, but you tell me how these people that have maybe one delinquent credit card and a few late car payments are going to get a decent job. Oh wait, they're not. The argument for these checks is getting old. If your credits bad you are more likely to steal, accept bribes, or call out sick. Really? You could also argue that the person with bad credit needs the job more, due to the fact that they need to pay their bills and get on their feet. Again, there are no studies confirming any of these grandiose assumptions and it should be ILLEGAL.
I agree that classes in school about credit should be part of the curriculum. I agree that credit card companies have preyed on college students.

But really - why would an employer WANT to hire a guy who doesn't read what he signs, like your friend who "jacked his credit up because he paid late all the time. He thought his credit would be better since the late fee was larger than his payment." Not to be blunt, but that's pretty idiotic.

Why would an employer WANT to hire a guy who doesn't honor their promises or contractual debts, unless there is a very valid reason that they have these credit problems. It's simply a warning sign, a red flag, not the only determining factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 03:09 PM

455 posts, read 633,169 times
Everything out here "by the book", people are very conservative.I much prefer a bigger city, people are more realistic.If anyone (and many have) has been out of work, naturally they will have some credit issues.The job outlook stinks and is getting worse.They build jail cells here for people with bad credit and a few legal scrapes or are simply down and out.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
They build jail cells here for people with bad credit and a few legal scrapes or are simply down and out.
Your hyperbole is outrageous and not at all helpful.

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-01-2011 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Everything out here "by the book", people are very conservative.I much prefer a bigger city, people are more realistic.If anyone (and many have) has been out of work, naturally they will have some credit issues.The job outlook stinks and is getting worse.They build jail cells here for people with bad credit and a few legal scrapes or are simply down and out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Your hyperbole is outrageous and not at all helpful.
Agreed. But I do have a question.... What kind of work is he looking for? If he is looking for a teaching job.. Good luck with that..

Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
As Phoenix is now the fifth largest city in the country, you've got four larger cities from which you can choose for relocation. I've no doubt that those employers will also review credit reports with similar expectations as Phoenix employers.

May I respectfully suggest that your credit is not the reason for your unsuccessful job hunt? From the tone of your posts, I'd suspect your overwhelmingly negative attitude is turning potential employers off.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times
There is always starting your own business, find something people would want, be reasonable of what you want to sell and try to generate a start up fund.

That way, you'll be your own boss (God, I sound like those work at home scammers) and credit shouldn't be a hindrance.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:45 PM

9 posts, read 12,266 times
I feel your pain, my husband went through the same thing with his ex. She took him for everything and then some. I don't understand how these courts can let a person ruin another just because that person no longer wants to live with that other one. It is all done inspite. How you can have good credit and then after a divorce you are sunk. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. We are currently in DE and planning on moving to AZ. I hope he doesn't have the same outcome as you because his credit is shot too. I won't go on any acct with him because of it.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:00 AM

159 posts, read 513,249 times
Hey just,

I sympathize. I am relocating to CA and when looking for a place to live the FIRST question I am asked is what my credit is like. I have been thinking that if you don't have good credit it must be quite hard.

My question for you is how a divorce ruined a credit? I just got divorced this year, too, but my credit is still good.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:33 PM

93 posts, read 196,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I agree that classes in school about credit should be part of the curriculum. I agree that credit card companies have preyed on college students.

But really - why would an employer WANT to hire a guy who doesn't read what he signs, like your friend who "jacked his credit up because he paid late all the time. He thought his credit would be better since the late fee was larger than his payment." Not to be blunt, but that's pretty idiotic.

Why would an employer WANT to hire a guy who doesn't honor their promises or contractual debts, unless there is a very valid reason that they have these credit problems. It's simply a warning sign, a red flag, not the only determining factor.
It definitely is the determining factor in many proffessions. I work in law enforcement and they will tell you quick if you have any late accounts you are disqualified. They don't want to hear that your credit may be jacked up because you tried to better yourself and go to college, which was detrimental to your credit. I would think they would want to hire someone who has the tenacity to stick out college through the tough times, so they can honor their obligations. Instead, they hire many kids that had mom and dad keeping their bills straight. Just a thought, but in many instances the guy that worked his way through college may possess more integrity and a better work ethic.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:45 PM

93 posts, read 196,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I had to laugh at this post. LOL right... Sorry but this is false. Police agencies only look at your credit and financial background for criminal reasons, not for the statement you made... The only "risk" factor they look at is your job history. If you hop jobs every 3 months to 6, they most likely won't pick you because it makes you look unreliable. With the exception of students.

Medical bill argument isn't a fallacy. Ever see a bill to remove a stone out of a female? How about the cost of an emergency room drive in?

1.)$60,000 - A hospital in the Phoenix area will charge you to knock you out, shove a probe in you, break up the stone, and a 2 day stay.

Let's itemize this one...

2a.)$1000 - a drive to the hospital and to couch you in making you feel good. This includes an honorary police stomping action.
2b.)$1000 - a doctor to touch you, without gloves, and tell you nothing is wrong with you.
2c.)$10,000 - the actual hospital. This includes lifting yourself on an xray machine, lifting yourself onto beds, and watching you walk out the door while you fall multiple times.

There are also others that fall on hard times and can't make their car payment. They use to be able to make payments, as well as, maybe their single credit card bill. It happens. The idea of credit and the idea the federal reserve can create endless amounts of it needs to go away...

Please stay in NYC.

Jobs are picky out here. The valley is plagued with temp agencies. If you want a direct hire, it's going to take a while. I have 10 years of experience doing what I do and I didn't receive a single call until I started showing professional certifications on my resume. I can tell you it took me a year to find a job, not a great one, but a job. Maybe your experience isn't diverse enough? Unless your a C/Java programmer.
is statement is actually correct. Departments will view you as a bribe risk, lacking integrity, and as irresponsible. I think a criminal check is sufficient and disagree with checking credit at all. It is unconstitutional. Settlers left England to avoid debtors prison and this credit crisis puts people in a different type of prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona