Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 54,081 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a job offer that would be very good for what I do. I am a christian radio programmer and want to know more about Yuma.

I am african american/hispanic, wife is white and we have 2 very pretty girls, we are all very involved in church and our faith and belief in God.

Tell me about:
Housing
Churches
Cost of living ( just so you know I currently live in California)
Schools
Reaction to mixed children and couples
Things to do
I already know about the heat and lived in Las Vegas for 5 years...no problem
I've heard about the "snowbirds"

Tell me more

Old 01-18-2007, 01:01 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
What denomination are you? Evangelical Free, Baptist, Full Gospel, Pentecostal?

Old 01-18-2007, 03:01 PM

121 posts, read 663,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianDJ View Post
I am looking at a job offer that would be very good for what I do. I am a christian radio programmer and want to know more about Yuma.

I am african american/hispanic, wife is white and we have 2 very pretty girls, we are all very involved in church and our faith and belief in God.

Tell me about:
Housing
Churches
Schools
Things to do

Tell me more
Just scroll through the posts, there are 3 or more on here abot Yuma.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:39 PM
MAB

103 posts, read 589,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianDJ View Post

Tell me about:
Housing
Churches
Schools
Things to do

Tell me more
Hey there DJ,
hows it going?Ok,well where do I start?
Ok,lets go down the list.

1-Housing,well right now it is a buyers market.I bought my house 2 years ago,4 bedroom 2 bath.2 car garage and 1995 sq feet.In a quiet nehiborhood.outside city limits but not too far.228K its now worth about 255-260

My mom bought hers in may 2006 huge house,4 bed 2 bath 3 car garage.swimming pool and lots of green stuff 315K.Its in a great hood.

My friend had his built for 150K also 4 bed.

2-Churches-I attend a church called The River church.great people,great pastor.My daughter is 7 and she attend the rivers kids church.SHE LOVE IT.
They have thier own worship and all.
Ive visited 3 other churches.First Christian Church,Champion church and Trinity.They all seemed like great churches.

3-cost of living?well 1 gallon of milk is 2.09 at walmart,how much is it in CA?like 3.49 right?
Gas is usually .30-.40 cents cheaper than CA,overall you dont spend as much living here.Heck I was even able to buy me a new truck without having to sell my old one.Thats how affordable it is here for me.
Also,property taxes are WAY, WAY lower here.
I pay about 1200 a year,in CA I paid about 6K a year.Plus vehicle registration is also cheaper.I paid 49 dollars for TWO years on my old truck.In CA I used to pay over 120 a year.AND theres no smog checks here.so theres more money you save.
Sales taxes are higher,but who cares.You still pay way less to live here.

4- schools are IMO average.My daughter is really happy at hers,but for the most part they are average.My brother goes to Yuma high.He says its ok.

5-Theres about 5 black guys at my church that are married to either white or hispanic ladies.and Ive never heard them complain or say anything.
I know a guy from guatemala whos married to a white lady,same no complains.
Theres actually quite a few interracial couples here in yuma.
There is some racismn,but nothing out of this world.The ones who suffer the most racismn is us hispanics,due to the immigration policies going into effect.
But,all in all Ive met some great people from different races here.

6-Things to do?well not as many as places like san diego or phoenix.But I have a pretty busy schedule.Im into working out,off roading,fishing and I love going to the baseball games.
My daughter is into gymnastics,swimming and art.
My wife is the one who gets bored from time to time,then she goes shopping and spending all my money.
But she does not work,thats why she gets bored.
Theres lots of golfing here,and during the summer if you and your family feel like going to the beach,San Diego is 2 1/2 hours away.
Also Phoenix is about the same distance away,if you like football,basketball or MLB baseball.
Also MExico is about 25-30 minutes away.Some great chinese restaurants there.

Anymore you need to know?If you do come,let me know.I would be honored to have you folks visit our church.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
What denomination are you? Evangelical Free, Baptist, Full Gospel, Pentecostal?
Non-Denominational. Are you located in Yuma, Arizona?

Old 01-19-2007, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 17,453 times
Default Like anywhere else!

Just like anywhere else, there is good and bad but I believe that Yuma's good far outweighs any bad. We raised two kids here and they always had more to do than they had time to do it. Of course, those that have to entertained say there is "nothing" to do. There is a very active youth sports program through the city parks dept.

Crime rate low,great public services, great weather 9 months out of the year (we have Summer and not Summer!) but 3 months are very hot. You don't have to shovel it, though! The mountains are 2 hours away and the beach in San Diego is 3 hours away for summer getaways. Big cities like San Diego and Phoenix are less than 3 hours away so you can go there when you crave crowds, traffic jams, smog, rat race, etc.

Beautiful desert, mountains, great water resources (Colorado river, lakes, etc.), Imperial sand dunes, a couple hours from Lake Havasu, 5 from Las Vegas...if you like that sort of thing....

Public schools could be better, but it is also what you put into it and there are some great teachers. Mostly the immigration issues and ESL students make it tough. But if you speak Spanish doors open up..........

Bottom line is that AZ is clean and wide open to make what you want of it. Losers always lose, quitters always quit, complainers always complain.......

Old 01-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuma1863 View Post
Just like anywhere else, there is good and bad but I believe that Yuma's good far outweighs any bad. We raised two kids here and they always had more to do than they had time to do it. Of course, those that have to entertained say there is "nothing" to do. There is a very active youth sports program through the city parks dept.

Crime rate low,great public services, great weather 9 months out of the year (we have Summer and not Summer!) but 3 months are very hot. You don't have to shovel it, though! The mountains are 2 hours away and the beach in San Diego is 3 hours away for summer getaways. Big cities like San Diego and Phoenix are less than 3 hours away so you can go there when you crave crowds, traffic jams, smog, rat race, etc.

Beautiful desert, mountains, great water resources (Colorado river, lakes, etc.), Imperial sand dunes, a couple hours from Lake Havasu, 5 from Las Vegas...if you like that sort of thing....

Public schools could be better, but it is also what you put into it and there are some great teachers. Mostly the immigration issues and ESL students make it tough. But if you speak Spanish doors open up..........

Bottom line is that AZ is clean and wide open to make what you want of it. Losers always lose, quitters always quit, complainers always complain.......
Well put and thank you

God bless you

Old 01-20-2007, 07:30 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,357 times
I lived in Yuma for 1 year, 5 months and 11 days. I'm glad I left. Check this thread.
Yuma, AZ
Good luck.

Last edited by Old Surrender; 01-20-2007 at 07:46 PM..

Old 01-22-2007, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 44,334 times
Yuma has no culture, and just cowboy history. The heat is unbearable, and there is nothing to do there. Finding new ways to avoid the scorching summer heat is considered a pastime, and qualifies as recreation

Old 01-24-2007, 09:55 AM
MAB

103 posts, read 589,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaDin View Post
Yuma has no culture, and just cowboy history. The heat is unbearable, and there is nothing to do there. Finding new ways to avoid the scorching summer heat is considered a pastime, and qualifies as recreation
I guess my coworkers and I are crazy then.
We play softball during the summer.Usually after work at 6 PM or so.
Just cowboy history??I guess you can call me chuck norris then.

Suring the summers hottest days(july) we usually take a 2 1/2 hour drive to San Diego and enjoy the beach.Is that so hard to do?

But hey,what do I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona