Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 PM

6 posts, read 13,799 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My family and I are planning to move to Arizona next year but will be visiting next week to check out some areas. We are looking for towns that are family friendly with not too high taxes and cheap housing (under 150K). Our greatest concern is the school system-can anyone make any recommendations? We heard Peoria has good schools, but which section of Peoria? I see the rentals are cheap in Peoria. Is it because it is in a bad section? If you know of any other towns that might be a good fit-please let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 AM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
need more details....ie;your job needs, what you consider necessary for day to day life. City or town or rural or small city, mountains or desert or high desert, extreme heat or chance of snow.....

Old 06-19-2009, 11:52 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdb915 View Post
Hello everyone,
My family and I are planning to move to Arizona next year but will be visiting next week to check out some areas. We are looking for towns that are family friendly with not too high taxes and cheap housing (under 150K). Our greatest concern is the school system-can anyone make any recommendations? We heard Peoria has good schools, but which section of Peoria? I see the rentals are cheap in Peoria. Is it because it is in a bad section? If you know of any other towns that might be a good fit-please let me know. Thanks.
Don't know much about Peoria. Stay away from Yuma. We have horrible schools here. I should know because I was a teacher here.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:40 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
You should check out Deer Valley, or North East Phoenix (7th St to Tatum, Greenway to the 101) both are great areas, the only places in phoenix I would raise children.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:03 PM

6 posts, read 13,799 times
Default looking for area with great schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
need more details....ie;your job needs, what you consider necessary for day to day life. City or town or rural or small city, mountains or desert or high desert, extreme heat or chance of snow.....
we r not into city life. we r looking for a "quiet" area but not too remote and NO snow =) we r both nurses so hopefully we wont have a problem finding employment. lookin for area with very good ranking schools and houses under 200k.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
If you want quiet, you can do anthem, but it's a long commute back into phoenix and the traffic varies so you're always guessing.

Plenty of hospitals around phoenix that I am sure need nurses?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:07 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
The schools are hit and miss from what I understand basically everywhere with the exception of Chandler/Gilbert which I hear mostly good things about. BUT, that doesnt mean that the rest of the schools are BAD, just not as good. Problem is that anything for 150K in Chandler/Gilbert is gonna be an older, smaller place in a not so good area. 200K may make a significant difference up there, but I havent researched.

You ll probably need to think a little further out from Phoenix (assuming you want to be in PHX general area) to get your price and more "small town" feel.

Casa Grande fits the bill - less than an hour to PHX airport and a little more than hour to Tucson. Hospital in town, and for 150K right now you can get a pretty decent house. For 200K you can get a really nice one! But the schools are not top notch, but from what I read, they are improving as the population increases in the newer areas. My kids are all out of school so I have no personal experience there to offer, other than my sis-in-law is a teacher in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona