Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:00 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Maybe not that many people in Arizona, AZBatman.

Not certain but I believe the DMV never reuses as plate number so if a vehicle "passes away" or moves to another state, so goes the plate number.
There ya go, the 'in and out' of the state could account for the new numbered plates if they don't retire. I would think though if expired and not renewed within a certain time, would consider dead? Oh well, does that drop the price on a personal plate... AZBat...just go for the Vet plates...cooler...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 09:01 PM

167 posts, read 435,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbatman86 View Post
I took some leave last summer and went home to Arizona. I noticed my sister's license plate on her car, 7 digits. When the hell did that start? That really grinds my gears, that there are that many people in the state of Arizona now, that we need 7 digit license plates. We are just as bad as California now. I live in Texas right now, (Army) and Texas is a BIG state. Still 6 digit license plates. What the hell.
Texas is starting to go to 7 digits on the new license plates

Old 09-08-2009, 09:29 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,923 times
Funny, the Southwestern states are running out of #'s for license plates...

Where could all these new people be coming from???

Old 09-09-2009, 12:38 AM

977 posts, read 1,956,296 times
Plenty of states use 7 digits. New Hampshire is probably about the smallest, but theirs is all numeric. Arizona switched in March 2008, after 999-ZZZ was issued. Arizona
Several large stated have tried to avoid using 7 digits. Maryland was mentioned as avoiding 7 digits...they have actually never issued 7 digit serials for their regular passenger issues. I would actually prefer that to the vegetable soup formats they (and Florida, especially Florida) use though. Keep it simple...ABC123, ABC1234, or reverse. Texas tried several formats before switching to 7 digits on their new baseplate this year. They went with a funky AB1C234 format too.
Michigan's population is declining, but they still have about 10 million people there, far more than Arizona. I think the 7-digit format there is necessary.
Arizona, and most states actually, do not reuse numbers until a general reissue is done, when the serial progression generally starts over at AAA001, or whatever is appropriate. Delaware comes to mind as far as an exception - they reissue numbers that are turned in.
We could have gone back to ABC123, but it would have created conflicts with the maroon plates that are still in use.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Boy, it never ceases to amaze me the things that people worry about. Six, seven, or eight digit plates -- who cares? I had to look at my two cars just now to see what I have. One six digit and one seven. Ok, so what?

From a practical standpoint, a seven digit plate is harder to memorize and has more chances to get messed up in a radar photo. Those are features in my book.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Funny, the Southwestern states are running out of #'s for license plates...

Where could all these new people be coming from???
Cuba?

Many are most likely just snowbirds coming here, not to mention the incredible amounts of other people who come and go based on their type of transitional life (military, students, people who wanted warmer weather - then changed their minds after SUMMER hit!, etc... etc...).

Old 09-09-2009, 02:54 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
The new plate style is hard to read until your close to it
depending on the letters and numbers

I'm sure Law Enforcement is having a time with them

Old 09-09-2009, 04:08 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Maybe not that many people in Arizona, AZBatman.

Not certain but I believe the DMV never reuses as plate number so if a vehicle "passes away" or moves to another state, so goes the plate number.
I believe you can reuse the plate number if choose to do so, but you have to apply for it at the DMV.

When I bought my 2005 Dodge Dakota truck two and a half years ago, I was able to keep the old plate from my 1993 Dodge Dakota, which originally had Oregon plates. I bought it in Oregon in 1996 during my brief stay over there, and after I moved back to Arizona in February of 1997, I applied to get the 1993 Dodge registered in Arizona, at which time I also got the new 6-character plate, which were the new design back then that replaced the old red and white plates. That same plate was transferred to my 2005 Dodge after I bought it.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
On the 7-digit plates, I hope this is not an indication that we are becoming California, which I think they also use 7 or 8 digits on their license plates, and the reason is obvious, a lot of cars over there. The Los Angeles basin alone (not including any of the cities in Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, and Orange Counties) has more automobiles registered, than the entire state of Arizona.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
On the 7-digit plates, I hope this is not an indication that we are becoming California, which I think they also use 7 or 8 digits on their license plates, and the reason is obvious, a lot of cars over there. The Los Angeles basin alone (not including any of the cities in Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, and Orange Counties) has more automobiles registered, than the entire state of Arizona.
I guess the wholesale flight from California is definitely becoming a burden on many states - on so many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: