Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,519 times

Advertisements

I was driving on the I-10 eastbound heading to work at 10 PM like I do every night and 2 of the 5 cameras flashed as I went by. At least I think they were taking my picture.

Here's what I do every single night when I drive to work and this is the first time this has happened. Once I pass 99th Ave (eastbound) I get into the carpool lane and I set my cruise control to 72 mph. Yes that's over the posted 65 mph limit but it's a long drive and well I get sick of getting stuck behind people driving 65 and lower. Anyhow, I get passed the first 2 cameras and I get no flash but when I hit camera #3, I get a red flash. No flash with camera #4 but the camera just before the 202 exit takes my picture. At no point during my drive to work did I alter my speed. The cruise control stayed set for the entire trip.

I would question my speedometer but only 2 cameras flashed. Has anyone else had any issues like this or is there a known problem at this time? If I do receive any tickets in the mail, I will not be paying them because the camera should not have even taken my picture and there isn't one DPS officer out there who would bother to pull me over at the speed I was traveling. I say this because I have quite a few friends in that department.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Why take the chance, Scanadian?

Just my feeble opinion . . . I understand there is a "grace" of 11 MPH but why risk it?

Are you aware they can be set to ONE MPH over limit and still be legal?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:48 PM

I know where you are coming from but I have been driving that stretch at around that speed (never more) for about 6 months now. It's comfortable and I have not had my picture taken until that night. Obviously, better safe than sorry applies here but there is that grace period and from my understanding it hasn't gone down. More or less, I'm just curious if there is a known error or bug in the system at this time.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:57 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanadian View Post
I know where you are coming from but I have been driving that stretch at around that speed (never more) for about 6 months now. It's comfortable and I have not had my picture taken until that night. Obviously, better safe than sorry applies here but there is that grace period and from my understanding it hasn't gone down. More or less, I'm just curious if there is a known error or bug in the system at this time.

Thanks for the reply!
There are MANY MANY flaws with this entire camera system ... too many to name in one posting. At this point, I have come to the conclusion that there isn't much to worry about if you encounter the dreaded flash. Things like illegible license plates, sun glare, and malfunctioning cameras have resulted in citations being issued to less than 50% of the drivers that get flashed.

Second, many Libertarian leaning Republicans in the Legislature are strongly opposed to the speed cameras ... and have halted the proposed expansion of the statewide program earlier this year (thank God). In addition, some members of the Legislature have drafted bills to eliminate the program entirely ... and there are petitions circulating to finally bring this matter to a public vote. Based on the growing opposition to this asinine robotic enforcement, I'm more confident that this SCAMera program is existing on borrowed time.

Bottom line: if you receive a citation, line your bird cage or cat's litter box with it ... or save it for an emergency Kleenex one day. Don't be like the sheeple who actually think a photo radar citation will be applied toward your driving record, because it won't.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:30 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Bottom line: if you receive a citation, line your bird cage or cat's litter box with it ... or save it for an emergency Kleenex one day. Don't be like the sheeple who actually think a photo radar citation will be applied toward your driving record, because it won't.
Well, don't forget all the advice to avoid the process server by not answering your door for three months....which will work except in those locations that allow alternative service, where leaving it on your doorstep may be enough. I wouldn't be so definite that a photo radar citation won't show up on a driving record. It will if it isn't legally caused to go away.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:01 PM

My wife had her picture taken and it was sent to us in the mail. Of course my name was on it because the truck is registered in my name. I simply placed the notice in the trash. It was not a ticket and there was nothing on there giving me a date to reply or an amount to pay. I have not received anything else to this day and we are moving to Texas next month so I'm not worried about it. I also know the facts about tickets have to be served if they are to be valid. I'll do the same thing if I get anything in the mail so I'm not too worried.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM

222 posts, read 581,147 times
I drove 74 (with cruse control) to the west on I-17 (started from US-60) and got flash. Speed limit there was 65. It was no other cars, so I guess some cameras do not have 10+ grace. I didn't get ticket yet, because if was just week ago (end of June 2009).
Usually I do not drive very fast, because I want to be safe, but I don't like drive slow either.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
I drove 74 (with cruse control) to the west on I-17 (started from US-60) and got flash. Speed limit there was 65. It was no other cars, so I guess some cameras do not have 10+ grace. I didn't get ticket yet, because if was just week ago (end of June 2009).
Usually I do not drive very fast, because I want to be safe, but I don't like drive slow either.
You are absolutely certain your speedometer could not be 2 MPH off, Nick?

The theory of the 11 MPH "grace" speed, as I understand it, is to compensate for the possibility of a speedometer error, NOT to give all drivers the opportunity to intentionally break the law.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:48 PM

222 posts, read 581,147 times
Absolute certainty you can't get even with brand new car. I checked my speedometer with my GPS which also show speed. :|
And why you guys talking about 11 mph grace? I heard of 10 mph. I don't know any official source about this grace period. And it is not official. So even if they put 0 mph grace they still can give us a ticket.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Absolute certainty you can't get even with brand new car. I checked my speedometer with my GPS which also show speed. :|
And why you guys talking about 11 mph grace? I heard of 10 mph. I don't know any official source about this grace period. And it is not official. So even if they put 0 mph grace they still can give us a ticket.
You are absolutely correct, Nick.

I believe the "grace speeds" are built-in to compensate for speedometer errors, however, accurate speedometers are the responsibility of the vehicle owner / driver.

In the eyes of the law, one mile over the limit is considered speeding and subject to a citation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona