Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,722 times

Advertisements

I have two brothers in Arizona. Both born in Michigan, both with families. One family born in Az, one family transplanted. Other brother bounced around and ended up in Az with the other.
I visited them both last year and my wife and I tossed around the idea of moving out there. During my visit it became clear ( as well from many posts on this forum) that many many Arizona residents are transplants.
So I am genuinely curious to know the following.

1-Where did you move to Az from and why?

2- Are you happy and glad that you did or do you regret it?

3- Do you think about moving back to where you came from?

It's funny in my house everyone was ready to move the day we landed there. The temp was about 90-95 most of our week there getting up to about 100 for a day or two. We also experienced a night when the temp suddenly dropped from the 90's to about 70 and nobody was prepared and we all froze. LOL Needless to say by the end of the trip not everyone was so keen on the idea of moving and after a year I think for the most part it's out of everyone's system. We still think about it once in awhile, but it does not get very serious. I've always wondered about people who did take the plunge, and how they feel today about their decision. Hence the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:30 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
1. I came from Wisconsin/Upper Michigan. I was sent here by the Army but decided to stay in Arizona when I got out instead of taking the free trip home.

2. I have never missed the upper midwest at all. Just left a lot of family behind there and as I have grown older I miss them more. Otherwise my whole life is here - my kids were born and raised here, friends, adult history, sports loyalties etc. AZ is my home.

3. MI has a good dealtaxwise for people on pensions and that would be attractive to me. And the summers are lovely there. But it is so gloomy in winter that I fear it would depress me and shorten my life. I would like to get out of Phoenix as I hate the city and have no need for it anymore since I retired. Maybe somewhere else in AZ or the west, but not WI/MI.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Wash DC native here; left there in 1978 for California due mostly to its ghastly winters.

Wound up here in Az in 1989-90 with my now ex wife and; quite frankly, I have done better here than in Calif.

Needless to say: I will never move back to the DC area----------or, any other '4 season' locale with the notable exception of Prescott.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:35 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
have been here since age 12 when family moved here, ostensibly for the good schools, but the schools (Scottsdale) seemed only average, nothing remarkable....

been here ever since and plan to stay for the rest of my life...very happy and lucky to be here...dry air, wide open spaces, variety of landscapes, mostly low-key decent people, good consumer choices in the two big cities, year-round outdoor opportunities, relatively low-cost of living are a few of the reasons to stay....

came from the mid-west to here....do not miss the humidity, unstable weather, too hot summers, too cold winters, general lack of "action"....

I'm sure you know that the sudden drop in evening temps is due to the dry air...can sometimes swing 45-50 degrees day-to-night in some areas of the state....desert: freeze at night, burn in the daytime.....

Old 07-21-2009, 03:44 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,663 times
moved from Colorado(23 years). Would not go back. Not that great of memories and not the same as when I grew up.
But..........
planning a move to either Cleveland area or Pennsylvania in next 2-4 months. House is already up for sale.
Why??????
tired of brown. tired of too much summer. tired of lack of scenery and climate changes. Want old houses, greenery, seasons, short summers, and yeah, cold.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:47 PM

453 posts, read 1,628,369 times
came here from IL 4 years ago. Use to miss it, but don't anymore. Do I like AZ? NO!!!
I am also planning on moving within the year to somewhere where there is grass. I am so sick of looking at cactus's and gravel....

Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,588 times
1-Where did you move to Az from and why?

Lived in Arizona my whole life. Safford, AZ to Mesa, AZ to Gilbert, AZ.

2- Are you happy and glad that you did or do you regret it?

I absolutely love living here. I don't think I could EVER move anywhere else that gets cold.

3- Do you think about moving back to where you came from?

I do want to move back to Safford, AZ some day.

Okay, I know you are looking for people from other states.. but I haven't posted in a while and this looked like a good board, lol.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 AM

894 posts, read 2,202,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
moved from Colorado(23 years). Would not go back. Not that great of memories and not the same as when I grew up.
But..........
planning a move to either Cleveland area or Pennsylvania in next 2-4 months. House is already up for sale.
Why??????
tired of brown. tired of too much summer. tired of lack of scenery and climate changes. Want old houses, greenery, seasons, short summers, and yeah, cold.
Lack of scenery? What are you a hermit? Where are you living? Arizona has the greatest scenery in the word. Have you ever visited the natural attractions Arizona has to offer? How you ever taken a drive outside the city, and gone up into the mountains? Its free ya know.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
But..........
Why??????
No disrespect intended: if I had a choice between Cochise County or the Midwest...........for me it would be a no brainer. Admittedly; most of Cochise has no real winters though.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:35 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbatman86 View Post
Lack of scenery? What are you a hermit? Where are you living? Arizona has the greatest scenery in the word. Have you ever visited the natural attractions Arizona has to offer? How you ever taken a drive outside the city, and gone up into the mountains? Its free ya know.
Where do you live?

I currently live outside Sierra Vista, have a view of Thunder Mountain and the water fall(seasonal). I work at the upper elevations of Fort Huachuca, just over 5000'. My building was built in approx.1880, has stone walls 2' thick. The secondary building I work in was recently filmed for one of those "paranormal" shows, and is the site of the last 2 hangings at this post. Regular sites for me are deer, javalina, mountain lion, bobcat,fox and wild turkey. We have snow at least once a year, even if it's for a few hours.
I also lived in Flagstaff, drove thru Oak Creek Canyon daily on my job, and was one of the lucky ones to be in the canyon and Sedona at sunrise after a snowfall.
So, no, I'm not a "hermit", I do obviously drive "outside the city" and I work "up in the mountains". Arizona does not have the "greatest scenery in the world". It does have magnificient scenery for the United States, yes. Not the best in the States, but magnificient in its own way.
Perhaps I should have worded my statement that I was tired of the same scenery, and this is not the scenery I desire to see anymore. Thank you for your opinion. I have a belly button too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona