Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 AM

270 posts, read 1,109,896 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if I want to see Fall foliage color change, where in AZ should I go to see it? I am guessing maybe Flagstaff. Any suggestion of a place more specific?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,348 times
There are some Aspen groves between Flag and the canyon, but very little. Any true color change will require a several hour drive to see and that will not be anything outstanding imo. As a 19 year Phx resident I always counted the trees along the Bridle path(Central avenue,Bethany to Northern)as close as we'd get to "fall foilage". Now I live and work in Sierra Vista/historic Fort Huachuca, altitude is 5,095 feet at my worksite. We have color change....green to yellow. But at least there are leaves on the ground, blowing thru the winds from Huachuca Canyon. Wild Turkeys meander the creek that runs by our buildings, yesterday 14 head of deer took their time crossing the road nearby, the squirrels are nesting down and we find Great Horned Owl droppings in the mornings by our materials sheds. That's about all their is to fall in AZ far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:55 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
OK. I have been holding on to this because I don't want to see you there, but the best place in AZ, bar none, for foliage is Highway 666 (has a new number) from Alpine area down toward Morenci (roughly). This is an area of AZ with a lot of maple trees - the ones that turn a fiery red - mixed with oak. They hang over a twisting, turning highway with gorgeous views. It's even better if you take the back road to Hannigan Meadow from Big Lake where you get to see the aspen too. There's stunning aspen groves of color in the Escudilla wilderness area too (near Alpine) that you can see from the roads or walking on the trails. A lot of the color in the oaks got wiped out by the big freeze a couple weeks back and the aspens are past peak by now for sure. But you may still have time to catch the maples along the Devils Highway. It's a long drive and there are virtually no tourist stops, so its not for citified looking for a shopping with a view experience ala Sedona.

(Caveat: There is a huge maple back in the woods on SR 87 right near FR 300 on the rim. It was resplendent a couple weeks back but has now faded a lot, so maybe maples are fading too now and its too late).

Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 AM

942 posts, read 2,519,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
OK. I have been holding on to this because I don't want to see you there, but the best place in AZ, bar none, for foliage is Highway 666 (has a new number) from Alpine area down toward Morenci (roughly). This is an area of AZ with a lot of maple trees - the ones that turn a fiery red - mixed with oak. They hang over a twisting, turning highway with gorgeous views. It's even better if you take the back road to Hannigan Meadow from Big Lake where you get to see the aspen too. There's stunning aspen groves of color in the Escudilla wilderness area too (near Alpine) that you can see from the roads or walking on the trails. A lot of the color in the oaks got wiped out by the big freeze a couple weeks back and the aspens are past peak by now for sure. But you may still have time to catch the maples along the Devils Highway. It's a long drive and there are virtually no tourist stops, so its not for citified looking for a shopping with a view experience ala Sedona.

(Caveat: There is a huge maple back in the woods on SR 87 right near FR 300 on the rim. It was resplendent a couple weeks back but has now faded a lot, so maybe maples are fading too now and its too late).
Thanks to Pondersa's suggestion to us a few months ago, we have been up to Greer, Hannagan Meadow, and Big Lake several times in the past few months. Most recently, we were at Hannagan Meadow (2nd week of Oct.) and the Aspens were a wonderful shade of yellow. It was quite beautiful. Different than what one would see on the East Coast d/t lack of Maple Trees, but definately cool weather and brilliant foliage. We love it up there.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,514 times
Several hour drive to see fall color??? Nonsense! Time it right and you can see amazing fall color in the Pinal mountains just south of Globe. This year peaked in late October. The maples, oak and aspen were stunning. You also get to hike through an impressive forest of Manzanita. All this just 75 minutes from my home in East Mesa.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:36 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
I am not sure what type of trees they are, but I was just near seven springs and it was very colorful in terms of foliage out there.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,007 times
There's a side street in the ChrisTown area of Phoenix that is full of trees that change foliage in the autumn. I lucked into it by chance. I'll see if I can find it unless someone else knows where it is.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:14 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,543 times
I thought I remembered seeing a small area on the backroad between Flag & Sedona. There were some campgrounds and bridges going over what was probably Oak Creek. Maybe the 89A? Not sure though.

Its true though what Karma said about Seven Springs up north of Cave Creek. I was really surprised at the temperature difference and leafy trees changing colors so close to the outskirts of Cave Creek or Carefree whichever that is up there.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
There is a small patch on the way out of town to Payson. A little creek too, but you can wiz by it in one minute. Does anyone know if that area has a name?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Go to Prescott. There are a lot of trees that change up in that area. However, they're probably past peak now.

We also do have a select few species of trees that are changing color right here in the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona