Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 AM

123 posts, read 357,566 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me about this?
I am self-employed. California sticks me good every year. What do I have to look forward to in Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:30 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
Can anybody tell me about this?
I am self-employed. California sticks me good every year. What do I have to look forward to in Arizona?
They will stick it to you to in Arizona too. If you want to avoid the state income tax you will have to come here to Nevada.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:56 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
The income tax rates here are not unreasonable, but we do have an income tax. Self-employment always seems to take a bigger hit because of no withholding that sort of softens the blow for those working for others. To me, though, the federal self-employment tax is the biggest hassle, and I only make a small percentage of my income from self-employment.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:26 PM

123 posts, read 357,566 times
Bummer!
But all the same thanks you guys or gals I welcome any further input by anyone who'd care to leave it.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Mountain Sprite - you can look here and compare Arizona to California. Some of the information is out of date, but it will give you a good starting point to check information you're interested in.

You can also go to the Arizona Dept of Revenue. It's their version of our FTB

(re another thread - Kingman is a nice town! Was there last October snooping around, LOL)

Old 02-25-2010, 07:53 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
Is there any way to circumvent this legally; some kind of loophole in the law perhaps? I am in Florida, but will be retiring in Arizona. I will be having my retirement check deposited directly into my bank account, which will be in Florida. If I keep a small rental place in Florida but stay primarily in Az, can I claim Az to be my "part time" residence and avoid the state tax? I don't want to do anything too shady, but I wonder if that is what some of the "snowbirds" do. It's bad enough car registration is crazy out there, I am just looking at ways to survive on a retiree's income.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Is there any way to circumvent this legally; some kind of loophole in the law perhaps? I am in Florida, but will be retiring in Arizona. I will be having my retirement check deposited directly into my bank account, which will be in Florida. If I keep a small rental place in Florida but stay primarily in Az, can I claim Az to be my "part time" residence and avoid the state tax? I don't want to do anything too shady, but I wonder if that is what some of the "snowbirds" do. It's bad enough car registration is crazy out there, I am just looking at ways to survive on a retiree's income.
Don't you just love these freeloading retirees? Move to the area, demand all the services like police, fire, paramedics to come to their aid, community college courses for entertainment, road signs big enough for them to read and so on and then try to dodge paying their fair share of the costs. Why don't you stay in Florida? We who have made our lives in this state and are invested in its future don't welcome you.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
Dang Ponderosa, who peed in your Wheaties today? Just asking a question. Didn't say I was gonna do it. Trust me, the retirees in Florida do it all the time; only not to this state, to their home states; I am in public service, so I know how you feel, trust me. They live down here 8 months out of the year, then bail in the summer. Difference is, Florida has no state income tax here. The way my salary is, I kinda wish they did.
Settle down.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Dang Ponderosa, who peed in your Wheaties today? Just asking a question. Didn't say I was gonna do it. Trust me, the retirees in Florida do it all the time; only not to this state, to their home states; I am in public service, so I know how you feel, trust me. They live down here 8 months out of the year, then bail in the summer. Difference is, Florida has no state income tax here. The way my salary is, I kinda wish they did.
Settle down.
Lots of Retirees driving around AZ with Florida tags avoiding our taxes.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Lots of Retirees driving around AZ with Florida tags avoiding our taxes.
Not as many as there used to be. At least they closed that loophole with the car rental companies... most of the rentals here used to have FL plates. Not any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: