Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:29 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Larry View Post
I have to inject a few facts here since a former Governor was attacked in this thread. Evan Mecham was a local business man. I am old enough to remember Mecham Rambler.

Since I don't deal in opinions but only facts allow me to expand the knowledge of the original poster. Mecham opposed daylight saving time. I did not mis-type. It is saving time and not the plural "savings" time. Mecham stated that he could see no benefit whatsoever to AZ. Everybody was behind him and thought he was a great governor.

He got into trouble with the media by opposing Martin L. King holiday stating state budget waste by having to pay every state employee to sit at home for a day on an extra holiday. Actually he was doing exactly what a "governor" is supposed to do since the term means "to limit" "to restrict". In the case of a state governor the limit or restrict is spending, waste etc. This of course caused a firestorm and right away he is considered a raciest etc.

Later allegations of wrong doing, fraud, using public funds for his own use all came forward. This resulted in his impeachment. There was a criminal trial but those making the allegations had not one shred of evidence to back up any of their allegations or claims. No proof whatsoever. This is interesting since prior to the trial they claimed they had proof that he took money from one thing gave it to another etc. I guess their proof evaporated. It is important to note that all charges against him were dismissed. He was railroaded out of office. Really he was the only governor with enough backbone to stand up and really do the job he was elected to.

I have absolutely no use for the main stream media in this country. The papers are a waste of paper and the broadcast media abuses the airwaves that are supposed to be controlled by the people according to the FCC. They couldn't get the facts right if they had to and that is by design.
I can say this. When Evan Mecham died 2 years ago I doubt even one person shed a tear. I certainly didn't. He was a total piece of garbage. I did live in live Phoenix when he was governor. What a mess...

Old 03-20-2010, 09:48 AM

861 posts, read 2,192,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I can say this. When Evan Mecham died 2 years ago I doubt even one person shed a tear. I certainly didn't. He was a total piece of garbage. I did live in live Phoenix when he was governor. What a mess...
I did not vote for Mecham...but calling him a total piece of garbage stinks.
He was a good man trying to do his best and was attacked by certain lobbies who hated his guts and had no interest in the truth coming out.....they just wanted to "get" him no matter the cost.
Typical liberal MO...smear, lie, and slander to get your agenda through.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:16 PM

94 posts, read 245,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Well there LV drunk those are powerful feelings. I am sure you put a lot of thought into them.

Allow me to ask you a strange off topic and off subject question. If I put a glass of water in my freezer it will freeze and break. What causes it to break? This is an honest question.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:20 PM

295 posts, read 552,835 times
One good thing about so many people leaving the Phoenix area, is that the air quality has improved slightly from 2008 to 2009.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
I did not vote for Mecham...but calling him a total piece of garbage stinks.
He was a good man trying to do his best and was attacked by certain lobbies who hated his guts and had no interest in the truth coming out.....they just wanted to "get" him no matter the cost.
Typical liberal MO...smear, lie, and slander to get your agenda through.
I am proud to be a liberal democrat, but what does that have to do with this? Evan Mecham was a total piece of garbage:

He referred to African Americans as pick aninnies.

Misuse of government funds when he made his auto dealership a loan using money from the inauguration fund.

He made derogatory statements against women.

He was impeached.

He was a total embarrassment to the state of Arizona (just like Joe Arpaio).

I could go on and on, but what is the point?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:13 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,734 times
Cutting people off ahccccs and doing away with kidscare is only going to make more probllems. More people will get sick, and have to go to the ER when theres no other option. And then who do you think is going to pay for that?
And why is having programs that actually help people so bad? WIC, school lunches....those programs do a lot of good.And do you really think that when people have kids that they plan on needing any kind of assistance? While there are people who do abuse the system-the majority don't...some people may be going through hard times, some may get sick and cannot work, maybe there was domestic violence and the women had to leave to save her life, maybe a lot of men don't pay child support and go on their merry way while the moms are forced to raise the kids alone and work real hard just to get by while having to deal with people pissed off at them for needing any kind of help. So, if they can't afford everything even though they are trying, would you rather see them go hungry or die? I just think a person should really put themselves in someone else shoes before they judge them.
Theres so much corruption in politics....like someone had stated before, you surely won't see a politican taking a paycut. When money is short it is ALWAYS the poor who suffer the most.
I think if everyone cared a little more about people and not just about their money it would be a great start. I don't make much money and I am a single parent who just found out my job is freezing wages, but I am happy i have a job. Everyday I have to hustle and work hard to make ends meet-but I'm not gonna judge others who are worse off than me-in fact I help out as much as I can and even donate what little money I can, when I can'
I also do not think it's fair to blame illegal alians for all out problems. They do work hard, and many jobs they do Americans would not want. If I had been born in Mexico or some other third world country I'd probobly try to get to the uS any way I could, I don't know who wouldn't want to unless they were born into a rich family. And the illegals that are working here do pay taxes, and contribute to the economy in the way of buying power. And statistically the majority of people on government assistance are white americans, not Mexican. If a person doesn't have papers they cannot get benefits because they have to have a birth certificate.
I do agree that the illegals in prison do cost us a lot-so what needs to be done by sherrif Joe is cracking down on crime-not doing sweeps of people in libraries..come on! And instead of incrarcerating them here they should just send them back. I believe it costs roughly 50,000.oo a year to incarcerate a person which is ridiculous, I don't even make that much a year!
It t looks like soon there will be no middle classs-just rich and poor. And poverty leads to craime.
This whole world is just screwed.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
To the OP, do you really think that the speed radar cameras are actually hampering visitors and newcomers? Wow. When we first visited Phoenix and later lived in the area, I was THRILLED with the speed cameras! Phoenix was like the one really large city where I felt like I could drive the speed limit or slightly over and not get blown off the road by angry, finger-flashing nutcases driving 85+ mph! I'm not a little old lady, I am a woman in my mid-40s who likes to feel safe on the road. If anything, I think that the speed cameras are an asset.
I got dinged by one of those cameras because some idiot cut me off and another idiot was tailgating me. I went through a light at 20 MPH and ended up paying through the nose because I didn't want the guy behind me to rear end me, a cop would have realized what happened. I won't return to AZ nor will I raise my family there and I will suggest the same to everyone else I speak to. One less health care provider for all the retirees.

Of course it helps that the state doesn't care about education at all.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
It t looks like soon there will be no middle class-just rich and poor. And poverty leads to crime.
That is precisely what the right-wingnuts who are running Arizona want. Unfortunately, they are getting their wish as I evidenced by my friends warden getting her brand new car, while they cut social programs to pay for it.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:26 PM

295 posts, read 552,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
It t looks like soon there will be no middle classs-just rich and poor. And poverty leads to craime.
I get the same feeling, that things are spinning out of control. As the saying goes, nothing is constant, but change.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:24 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
If anyone is interested in the Mecham Era of AZ history read this:

Evan Mecham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona