Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,912,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I mean that opponents of this law will continue to organize protests and whatever else is necessary to end this ridiculous legislation. Since the law isn't supposed to take effect until August, we have plenty of time!
I think you mean the referendums may be able to halt progress, and if that happens it will have to be put on the ballot in 2012? unless of course a court order stops it before...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
You can protest all you want, this law isn't going anywhere. Too many people support it, and the only ones who oppose the law are illegals due to the fear of being deported.
Now you know that is not true...That may even be a blatant lie...

Old 04-29-2010, 08:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,557,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I watched the video and I completely agree with him. Kudos to this sheriff for standing up to this racist and unconstitutional law.
Exactly... LAW. Thats a word that illegals dont obey or care about. Those that call this law "uncostitutional" or "racist" are flat out braindead. If illegals didnt BREAK THE LAW AND DRAIN MONEY AND SERVICES AND STEAL SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS, there would be no need for such "unconstitutional" and "racist" laws, now would there?

You people NEVER see the root cause of the overall problem. MILLIONS and MILLIONS of Americans stood in line, went through the motions, etc, to become LEGAL citizens. Thats what makes this country so great. People who are WILLING to become Americans. Assimilate. Make a difference. Not sneak here, take someone else's SSN, not assimilate, and demand rights when you dont deserve any?!?!?!? Screw that! Stand up, Americans, back the new law!!! Its about time AMERICANS stood up for what we know is right. If these illegals want to earn our RESPECT, then do things ACCORDING TO THE LAW. Only then will you have my respect. But if you come here illegally, steal an innocent person's SSN, not learn English, etc, then I give you absolutely no respect. Mod Cut: Enough.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 04-29-2010 at 08:16 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 PM

If this thread is to stay open, the name-calling assumptions will stop. I know this topic is volatile and emotional, but braindead, idiots, whackos, etc., when referring to the other side will end.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:54 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,538,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I mean that opponents of this law will continue to organize protests and whatever else is necessary to end this ridiculous legislation. Since the law isn't supposed to take effect until August, we have plenty of time!
People in this country are free to peacefully protest and speak against any law in this country--that is what the First Amendment is all about. But, so long as the law is in effect, it is the SWORN DUTY of the Sheriff to uphold it and enforce it, and it is ILLEGAL for citizens to disbobey it. Of course, since the illegals Mod Cut: Name calling already broke the law when they came to the US, they probably can't be expected to start obeying the law now. As for protests, if "whatever it takes" means disobeying duly enacted laws in any jurisdiction--local, state, of federal--then THOSE people need to be arrested and tried--and, if convicted, sentenced to appropriate punishment.

We have a real problem in this country with people thinking that laws they don't like either a) do not apply to them or b) should only apply to everyone else.

As to the Sheriff, he should read his oath of office, quoted below from the Arizona Statutes, with my emphasis added in bold and/or underlining. Those Mod Cut: Name calling folks supporting his statement that he will not enforce this new law should sure as hell read it, too. They might learn something . . .

Quote:
State of Arizona, County of ______________ I, _____________________

(type or print name)

do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution and laws of the State of Arizona, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same and defend them against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge the duties of the office of ______________________ (name of office) ________________________ according to the best of my ability, so help me God (or so I do affirm).

(signature of officer or employee)

Old 04-29-2010, 09:48 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,792,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
People in this country are free to peacefully protest and speak against any law in this country--that is what the First Amendment is all about. But, so long as the law is in effect, it is the SWORN DUTY of the Sheriff to uphold it and enforce it, and it is ILLEGAL for citizens to disbobey it. Of course, since the illegals Mod Cut: Name calling already broke the law when they came to the US, they probably can't be expected to start obeying the law now. As for protests, if "whatever it takes" means disobeying duly enacted laws in any jurisdiction--local, state, of federal--then THOSE people need to be arrested and tried--and, if convicted, sentenced to appropriate punishment.

We have a real problem in this country with people thinking that laws they don't like either a) do not apply to them or b) should only apply to everyone else.

As to the Sheriff, he should read his oath of office, quoted below from the Arizona Statutes, with my emphasis added in bold and/or underlining. Those Mod Cut: Name calling folks supporting his statement that he will not enforce this new law should sure as hell read it, too. They might learn something . . .
Your quote says it all, Jazzlover.

By all means, a "sworn officer of the law" is allowed to have their own opinion, however, Sheriff Dupnik's public statements go far beyond the realm of the First Amendment. In fact, his statements scream arrogance and total disrespect for his position and a snubbing of his nose to the citizens of Pima County and Arizona.

Hopefully the voters of Pima County will not forget!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 PM

89 posts, read 146,507 times
If AZ passes a law to shoot illegals on sight should law officers enforce that without thinking too? We have brains and morals, we should use them. Don't do something immoral because some government wacko tells you to. Or watch Fox News and be a drone, your choice.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:20 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,323,785 times
Quote:
You can protest all you want, this law isn't going anywhere. Too many people support it, and the only ones who oppose the law are illegals due to the fear of being deported.
What about me? I am 100% German heritage. Both my parents were born here and were totally legal citizens. I am far from being illegal myself, and even know my best friend in Arizona is legal, he is an anchor baby. I grew up with him, and I can not in any way support his parents which are also MY FRIENDS being deported.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,427,129 times
Quote:
My dad's side of the family didn't go through any legal process when they came here 150 years ago. My mom's side didn't either and many of them fought in the Revolution.

I oppose this law on the basis it violates the 4th Amendment. When the Bill of Rights is ripped to pieces, then I'll shut up...but not until then.

If people would like to educate themselves on the history of Immigration Laws in this country, I can suggest GUARDING THE GOLDEN DOOR by Roger Daniels. It is quite enlightening.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:51 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,036,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
You are absolutely correct, Observer . . . he is elected.

As for being the only sheriff in Arizona not supporting this legislation . . . very possibly. However, being a Sworn Law Enforcement Officer, he is required to enforce the laws of the state, NOT go public on both Local and National News, not only slamming the law but declaring he will not enforce it.

Bottom line . . . Sheriff Dupnik is accepting a paycheck while refusing to do his job. If he wants to be a legislator, he should have made a different career choice.
You raise a good point - and I want to add that if Arizona citizens elect an official and keep him elected based on his "morals", while at the same time allowing him to continue taking taxpayer money without doing the job he was elected to do, it sets a very dangerous tone and says quite a bit about the citizens...are you seriously that clouded by your hatred of this law that you are perfectly ok with an elected official taking your money without doing the job he was elected to do? Seriously?

Some people need their priorities straight. If this were a law about tattoos, guns or alcohol, people would be up in arms calling for this sheriff's head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona