Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 AM

37 posts, read 65,398 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I own a trucking co. in New york. Work is really bad out here - no road construction, no new housing, etc. We are moving to the Phoenix area. We went out in Feb and saw that there seems to be alot of road construction going on. Does anyone know how this industry is doing? Also, what kind of equipment do they use for paving, pulling aggragate, etc.
Any truckers out there with any good advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,246,818 times
It's very, very competative

Construction is way down - street and road is way down, despite being pretty active

there is a ton of competition for what is relatively few jobs

Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 AM

135 posts, read 542,830 times
Check the AZ DOT website for more info on road construction and where the projects will be happening in the next few years. If you were out here in February and seemed to see a lot of road work going on....many jobs are in the last stages and will complete by the end of the year or next year..

I am starting to see rigs on the road again, but no where near as many as there were two to three years ago, before the housing market crashed out here. From what I know, many dirt/aggregate/asphalt outfits have downsized to keep their companies in business, and are taking less to keep their trucks/drivers running. Lots of owner/opertors with two or three trucks have parked them or sold off, because of the economy. Competiton is stiff and tight as Finger Laker noted.

Personally, I drive a belly dump, set of double dumps, or a super 16/18 when I work. Driver jobs are few and far between. It's been a year since I've worked, and that's not for lack of trying either. The company I worked for closed it's doors last year. Hope this info helps.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:01 PM

37 posts, read 65,398 times
Thanks for the info. It's really bad in NY also. Our Governor said please do the work anyway - we'll pay you later! Yea right! We have a steel dump trailer and flowboy. My husband only finds work here and there. The jobs are priced so low you can't even make any money on them. Several co's have gone out out of business also. And yea, also a ton of competion for relatively few jobs also. We are going to relocate out to AZ. Cost of housing is cheaper and weather is better for our health. Lots of lyme disease around here sure makes you feel old. Are there any jobs in the industry?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:33 AM

135 posts, read 542,830 times
You can find jobs in construction trucking, but as I mentioned in a previous post they're hard to come by. I have my finger in it because it's what I do for work, so you can PM me with other questions. I know people who know the contractors on these jobs going right now who might be able to put you in touch when you get here. Are you planning to bring your rigs with you or start fresh? What is your time frame? Also, repeating myself....check out the AZDOT website and ckeck out the projects working right now. It will give you a better idea what's happening right now and in the next year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona