Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,364,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Swats work in elementary school but they are an easy way out in high school. Most kids I went to high school with would gladly take swats over detention, suspension, etc.
You are right. I don't know of many high schools that do it anymore. My kid is in kindergarten. But she also knows that if she went to the principal's office the real show would start after she got home. That isn't the case with a lot of kids.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 PM

11 posts, read 27,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hadn't paid that much attention to where they had moved. You are right. I think they may be in for a little surprise period, living in Ozark and being liberal Buddist as they say they are.

Nita
We are Christian, but apply Buddhist meditation and philosophy to our faith. Many Christians are seeing parallels between the two faiths and apply them, so we are not alone. There is a Methodist church in Ozark that we are thinking of attending. No Unitarian churches as we are use to.

That said, we are not flaming liberals however. I hunt, fish, camp, and am into the mountain man scene, and I am not into changing anybodys mind or politics.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You have moved to the most conservative part of Arkansas and possibly even the entire nation. My high school near Fort Smith gave swats, sometimes even in high school. The school also had a large Bible on a pedestal in the library and had very strict rules against dating and relationships (boys had to sit on the separate side of the bus from girls, etc). This was in high school and it was a public school. In the Arkansas River Valley from Ft. Smith to Russelville, the 1950s never really ended. As you would have in the '50s, if you are not a white anglo-saxon Protestant Republican, that's fine but don't be too vocal about it. Don't be surprised when people think you are devil worshiper if you mention you are buddhists.
My question to them would then be, what's the difference between them, and the Taliban and other radical Muslims they hate so much? A theocracy is a theocracy, by politics, or forced culture, is is not American.

BTW, their kids that survive the meat grinder in the middle east, probably won't be sharing their views as zealously anymore, and I speak from experience. Just saying.

Last edited by SandboxVet; 01-11-2011 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM

697 posts, read 1,777,592 times
I didn't realize this still actually went on. In the school districts I know where it's still on the books that they're "allowed" to do it, they never actually would. Although a spanking would probably do a lot of kids good these days, the parents should be the ones with enough spine to be the disciplinarians of their kids.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
I didn't realize this still actually went on. In the school districts I know where it's still on the books that they're "allowed" to do it, they never actually would. Although a spanking would probably do a lot of kids good these days, the parents should be the ones with enough spine to be the disciplinarians of their kids.
My thoughts exactly. Yes, I knew the policy was on the books, but I haven't heard of it used recently. Again, I don't have school age kids and yes, I think a little spanking wouldn't hurt some of these kids. When we were in school (before the earth was formed I will add) the girls never got it, but the guys would, even in high school. Most of them either respected the school policies and down right dreaded that paddle and rarely ended up in the VP office.

Nita

Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 PM

45 posts, read 98,726 times
I swatted my two kids only once as they were growing up. We were very fortunate to have kids that never got out of control, but it was time consuming to get to that.
I remember going to Wally Mart and I had both kids in the cart and they were behaving. The women who walked by me had a kid in the cart yelling and crying and pointing loudly and constantly. She asked me (I'm the Dad) how I did it. I told her quite frankly, I don't allow it and that I set the rules down before going into the store. While in the car, I tell the kids they are not allowed to act up or I will take them home and come back to the store without them, but if they are good, I will reward them with a little treat they can choose for under 5 bucks. I was in a grocery store with the same rules, when one of the kids started up, so I left the full cart of food and took them home and waited until their mom got home and then went back and got the groceries. The kids knew I meant what I said! After that- no problems. The same went with restaurants- no yelling, fussing or running around. Other people don't go out to eat to hear kids yelling and fussing- period.
In school, my daughter insisted on talking in class (3rd grade) and after I got a note from the teacher, I explained to my daughter that I will go to classes with her and sit with her all day to make sure she stopped this if I got another note. My daughter called my hand and I got another note, so the next day I got out of the truck with her at school. She asked what I was doing and I told her I'm going to class with you all day just as I said I would- wow!..she begged and promised to stop her behavior (how embarrassing it would have been for her)- I gave her one more chance. Never had a problem after that.
Do what you say you are going to do! You are the example they live by. If you love your kids- guide them and don't give in.
Spanking may stop bad behavior, but only because the kids hate Pain! Teach the kids "why" they should behave and respect others through lectures, discussions, and examples. You, as the parent must follow your own rules, or it is a waste being a hypocrite and kids see this quite quickly.
If a child shouldn't be doing it- neither should you.

Our kids became honor students and are now in Nursing and Paramedics. They tell us how they appreciate us being tough on them, because they understand now. We had enough love for them to take the time and go through the trouble.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:16 PM

33 posts, read 79,478 times
Just a question for the OP but why are liberal people who are sometimes looked down upon in the deep south, moving here? There is nothing wrong with it, but since I am a strong republican, I would feel out of place living somewhere like Seattle or San Francisco. If it is for the slower pace of life, the midwest is more liberal and very nice too! But I'm not saying that you shouldn't move here, I'm just curious why you would.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,963,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the southern gentleman View Post
Just a question for the OP but why are liberal people who are sometimes looked down upon in the deep south, moving here? There is nothing wrong with it, but since I am a strong republican, I would feel out of place living somewhere like Seattle or San Francisco. If it is for the slower pace of life, the midwest is more liberal and very nice too! But I'm not saying that you shouldn't move here, I'm just curious why you would.
Your post is funny. "Liberal people who are sometimes looked down upon in the deep south". You may not get the humor, but trust me most liberals will.

I personally could not care less what my neighbors think about my political or social values. Don't be afraid to move here because of rednecks. They will usually leave you alone if you leave them alone.

Getting back to spanking in school. I don't think spanking in my child's school will be a problem. It is a small enough town where people would be cautious before laying a hand on my children.

I liked the poster above discipline concepts regarding walmart and school. I think that is the best method and it does not involve corporal punishment.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the southern gentleman View Post
Actually I probably used the wrong term. I am not a liberal in the modern sense, but more of a classical liberal. A more fitting term would be that of a laid back libertarian. More like Ben Franklin, not Al Franken.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,963,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxVet View Post
Actually I probably used the wrong term. I am not a liberal in the modern sense, but more of a classical liberal. A more fitting term would be that of a laid back libertarian. More like Ben Franklin, not Al Franken.
That is funny. You will be just fine. I believe most schools do ask before they spank. It is just too much of a liability for the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: