Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxVet View Post
Actually I probably used the wrong term. I am not a liberal in the modern sense, but more of a classical liberal. A more fitting term would be that of a laid back libertarian. More like Ben Franklin, not Al Franken.
you will do just fine in AR.

Nita

Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,227,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My thoughts exactly. Yes, I knew the policy was on the books, but I haven't heard of it used recently. Again, I don't have school age kids and yes, I think a little spanking wouldn't hurt some of these kids. When we were in school (before the earth was formed I will add) the girls never got it, but the guys would, even in high school. Most of them either respected the school policies and down right dreaded that paddle and rarely ended up in the VP office.

Nita
Am I the only one to find this somewhat sexist? Why should girls get a pass for the same offense?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:07 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
^It's wildly sexist. Like many things were in the past (before the earth was formed as Nita joked!)

Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM

218 posts, read 242,037 times
Originally Posted by nmnita
My thoughts exactly. Yes, I knew the policy was on the books, but I haven't heard of it used recently. Again, I don't have school age kids and yes, I think a little spanking wouldn't hurt some of these kids. When we were in school (before the earth was formed I will add) the girls never got it, but the guys would, even in high school. Most of them either respected the school policies and down right dreaded that paddle and rarely ended up in the VP office.

Nita

back when i rode a dinosaur to school, both boys and girls got spanked in my school. you did the crime, you did the time, usually with your head under the chalk tray. also if you got a spanking at school-you got another one when you got home. this one for getting the one at school.

kat

Old 01-14-2011, 05:37 PM

374 posts, read 759,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaatar516 View Post

Nita

back when i rode a dinosaur to school, both boys and girls got spanked in my school. you did the crime, you did the time, usually with your head under the chalk tray. also if you got a spanking at school-you got another one when you got home. this one for getting the one at school.

kat
I went to elementary school in Illinois (late 60's-early 70'). I don't remember spankings but if you did something wrong, the teacher would tell you to hold out your hand and then they would hit it with a ruler. This was usually done in front of the class and was done to both boys and girls. I honestly thought any kind of corporal punishment in public schools was long gone.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaatar516 View Post

Nita

kat
Though the girls didn't get it like the guys, you are right about if you screwed up in school, you would not want to go home in many cases.

Nita

Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 AM

694 posts, read 745,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxVet View Post
I feel the same way. We have asked locally, and yes it goes on, but everything else is kind of vague. Is this a bible belt thing? Does religion fuel this? We have seen the "don't spare the rod" billboards on the freeway. our main concern is that we are liberal christian/buddhists and this is a very old hard right thing. Creepy.
A liberal Christian - how funny! I live in Tennessee but this thread caught my eye. Here, we have to sign a paper to allow the school the spank, which we did. You are asked if you want this when the child starts school and sign a consent form. Our son started K in August '10. I am sure there is an "opt out" option.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,636,492 times
I spent 12 yrs in a Catholic school system. The nuns had wrestling moves that would make the guys in WWE jealous. Anything from a body slam to a elbow drop was utilized.

And yeah, those nuns were big. Really big.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,164,665 times
Just a reminder...this thread is entitled What's the Deal on Teachers Spanking Children in Arkansas Schools? Please note, it is not entitled "A Trip Down Memory Lane" or "Teachers Spanking Children All Over the Country." Thanks.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 10,349 times
I went to Ozark Jr High or whatever it was called in the late 60s. They paddled back then too. And it did not matter what the sex of the child was. They did have female teachers paddle female students and male teachers paddle male students.

I can say I never left the campus again during lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: