Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 21,439 times

Advertisements

Hello from Washington State! My family and I are planning on moving to the Harrison area in a month or two. After all I have read on here it seems that Harrison isn't really the place to be. Is it really that bad? My husband and I went over that way last summer and although we got a lot of strange looks, no one was openly hostile. So my question is How well would a pair of transplant hippies and two kids be accepted over that way? Any info would help! Thanks for reading.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,610 times
Don't know about Harrison specifically, but I left WA a few short months ago and moved to a very small town/rural area in the foothills of the Ozarks, and have found no adjustment problems.

My family is from the area and the accent I had as a child has returned so I guess I'm not viewed as an outsider, but my wife (born and raised in CA and a WA resident for some 28 years has had no adjustment issues, in fact she loves it).

I'll give you a secret. don't come here and start comparing what you left to what is here in an unfavorable manner.

This is Arkansas, accept and enjoy what it is.

The locals might be a little wary at first, but that's only natural. After a bit, once you've demonstrated an acceptance of what Arkansas is, they will be more accepting of you.

Kind of a you'll reap what you sow thing.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:42 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
I'll give you a secret. don't come here and start comparing what you left to what is here in an unfavorable manner.

This is Arkansas, accept and enjoy what it is.

Very well spoken! This is all you need to adapt and adjust to AR.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:29 PM

5 posts, read 21,439 times
Default Thanks!

Many thanks to those who replied! We are totally excited and looking forward to relocating! Thanks again!

Old 04-11-2007, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 23,023 times
I am from Harrison Arkansas and I found that it could be looked at either way, depending on your attitude, just like anything else. I moved there from England U.K. (Military Brat) at age 16. Lived there till I was 26. My whole family is from there so we had always visited often. I know that when I moved there I felt like a total outsider because everyone knew everyone from when they were all little and all the families knew each other. It was total culture shock to me but as I lived there for awhile and got to know people, I thought it was really nice. I think as a "hippy couple" you will do fine. there are alot of down to earth people there. Just go down to Eureka Springs on the weekends, it is a touristy town with alot of hippy type/artist/biker types hanging out. It's really a nice atmosphere.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 12,503 times
We moved here from Spokane Washington. We were readily accepted and our kids fit right in. We chose this area so our boys could be boys. They would be able to go outside and play, ride bikes and hang out with friends. It provided all that and more. Crime is minimal and the people are friendly. We have found any place is what you make it.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:14 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clown4u View Post
We moved here from Spokane Washington. We were readily accepted and our kids fit right in. We chose this area so our boys could be boys. They would be able to go outside and play, ride bikes and hang out with friends. It provided all that and more. Crime is minimal and the people are friendly. We have found any place is what you make it.

Welcome to our area. Your last sentence says it all. You moved from not far from my home area....Idaho. I have been here for over 31 years (this time) , and have reached the point where I am defending this state as though it were my original home state.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:20 AM

22 posts, read 73,478 times
Try looking for land in Jasper it is in Newton County where the majority of the hippies are with the hillbillies that are left or the more down to earth people reside. Ponca on 43 takes you in to Harrison Great place for location. I personally would look in the out skirts of Harrison you have a 30-45 mile radius that is prime.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:56 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,683 times
Harrison has a KKK chapter so stay out if you aint white.

Arkansas is the only redneck state

Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 AM

369 posts, read 1,301,868 times
Harrison is a little bit more open-minded than it use to be - as long as you are caucasian, you'll be fine there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas