Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,638 times

Advertisements

We live in St. Charles IL currently, and were offered a job working with Walmart.

We love where we are living and have a newborn, 3 year old, and 5 year old.

Originally, we are from the Northeast, but St. Charles is hands down the best place we have ever lived. Great schools, lot's to do, etc..

Am interested in your perspective of the area and Shadow Valley....by your comments that it is a "DIFFERENT" world, it sounds like it hasn't been a great experience for you.

Very interested to hear your perspective before deciding whether or not to take the job!

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-10-2011 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbinx View Post
We live in St. Charles IL currently, and were offered a job working with Walmart.

We love where we are living and have a newborn, 3 year old, and 5 year old.

Originally, we are from the Northeast, but St. Charles is hands down the best place we have ever lived. Great schools, lot's to do, etc..

Am interested in your perspective of the area and Shadow Valley....by your comments that it is a "DIFFERENT" world, it sounds like it hasn't been a great experience for you.

Very interested to hear your perspective before deciding whether or not to take the job!
are you sending this to just one person: If so you may want to PM him/her. Everyone has their own idea about what is good and what is bad. For many, the life style in NWA is about as good as it gets. for others it is not diverse enough.

I have heard of Shadow Valley and mostly positive experiences. If you are looking for a lot of diversity, a liberal atmosphere and the huge city life, you would not like NWA. If you are looking for a suburban atmosphere, family values, enough night life and culture to satisfy most people and a little more conservative influence you need to seriously consider Bentonville area. Oh, BTW, the schools are top notch.

Nita

Old 04-10-2011, 08:49 PM

111 posts, read 391,161 times
Just my opinion - I think you ought to base your decision 75-80% on whichever place gives you the most job security because the current recovery is anemic at best WITH money being about as cheap as it can possibly get AND WITH the govt running huge unsustainable deficits. There aren't any arrows left in the quiver to fight the next economic shock. I believe your best bet is whichever place is less likely to lay you off when the economy tanks again.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 AM

127 posts, read 216,888 times
I would not recommend working for Wal-mart to even my enemies and night life is non-existent.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necraven View Post
I would not recommend working for Wal-mart to even my enemies and night life is non-existent.
I am sure the OP has made a decision by now.

Nita

Old 06-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sure the OP has made a decision by now.

Nita
Just encase.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
While Wal-Mart would not be my ideal employer, I have lots of friends who do work for Wal-Mart, and like it quite a lot. It's a job, of course, and like any job there are pros and cons, but the corporate office is not a terrible place to work. And Northwest Arkansas does have night life. And it's not so different from other places. People go to the movies, people go out to restaurants, people go to hear bands play, people go to concerts, people go to sporting events. They do all those things in Northwest Arkansas, just like they do them in Minneapolis-St Paul, for instance. There may not be as many choices, but all the usual activities are available.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
While Wal-Mart would not be my ideal employer, I have lots of friends who do work for Wal-Mart, and like it quite a lot. It's a job, of course, and like any job there are pros and cons, but the corporate office is not a terrible place to work. And Northwest Arkansas does have night life. And it's not so different from other places. People go to the movies, people go out to restaurants, people go to hear bands play, people go to concerts, people go to sporting events. They do all those things in Northwest Arkansas, just like they do them in Minneapolis-St Paul, for instance. There may not be as many choices, but all the usual activities are available.
Options is more my issue and you stated that in your last sentence.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
DC, you have it down pretty well. We have lived in several places as many of you know (with age and job experiences comes re-location) With one exception we have found most places are more alike than different with the exception of weather and maybe the attitude of the people. Yes, there are always things to do and see, no matter where you live, you just have to llik for them. The best jobs in the world and best companies have negatives and visa versa.

Though I am not craxy over the humidity or being shut in a couple of times every winter for mayb 3 or 4 days, I think we have pretty decent weather here, considering we really do have 4 distinctive seasons.

Nita

Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Options is more my issue and you stated that in your last sentence.
If options is your issue, perhaps you should refrain from making statements like there is "no nightlife" in Northwest Arkansas. Because last week I didn't go to Fayetteville, and I still enjoyed getting together with friends and doing things at night. In fact, given the recent heat waves, I've been enjoying nightlife more and more recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas