Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 09:34 AM

36 posts, read 111,523 times

Advertisements

We were told by a woman at the forestry office (about !5 years ago) that the forstry dept. did NOT have any obligation to maintain their roads if they decided not too. I reackon she said that because we had mentioned that we were thinking of building a house on our land.

Our land is off to one side of the forestry road, which is only way to get there. How can I find out if what she said is true? If the forestry does not maintain the road from washouts, is there any way someone could get it turned over to the county? Or is this going to be our expense to maintain 1.5 mile of the road?

Thanks for any information you can give us. We may not build a house, just put a small camp there for winter deer hunting. Also, there will not be electric there, maybe small solar, if anything. Discouraged about the whole mess.

There is only one other deer camp down this road, just the forest, no campsites, fishing, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:26 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,210,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngurl View Post
We were told by a woman at the forestry office (about !5 years ago) that the forstry dept. did NOT have any obligation to maintain their roads if they decided not too. I reackon she said that because we had mentioned that we were thinking of building a house on our land.

Our land is off to one side of the forestry road, which is only way to get there. How can I find out if what she said is true? If the forestry does not maintain the road from washouts, is there any way someone could get it turned over to the county? Or is this going to be our expense to maintain 1.5 mile of the road?

Thanks for any information you can give us. We may not build a house, just put a small camp there for winter deer hunting. Also, there will not be electric there, maybe small solar, if anything. Discouraged about the whole mess.

There is only one other deer camp down this road, just the forest, no campsites, fishing, etc.
No, forestry does not have to maintain the road.

You are outlining a situation that many of us have dealt with. The bottom line is if you want peace, soltitude, and mother nature, you are going to have more responsibilities.

If you want to build a house there, you're certainly going to want electricity, and most electric companies won't run it until you have a foundation in place.

If you did build a house, and you want to take care of the road, a tractor with a grading blade does a fine job, that's what I and all around me use.

If you just want to set it up as deer camp, that doesn't take much. I know a number of them that have an outhouse and no running water.

You might want to think about what you're undertaking. The rural lifestyle is certainly not for everybody.

Above all, get a 4 X 4 with some good tires on it. Come spring, this ground will have frozen/thawed a number of times, and the "soil", composed of clay and silt loam which is normally like concrete, will turn to pure mush. When that happens, if you don't have 4WD, you're not going very far.

Now, that's what *we* call fun!!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 AM

36 posts, read 111,523 times
Default more info

the road starts out with flat land on both sides, then there is a ig mountain it winds around for about a mile. What I am mainly concerned with is the rain/water gushing down the mountain in several spots and maybe eroding the road. Since the start of the road looks like dirt, latter looks like mostly rock, not concerned with grading as there is no gravel on it to grade. Might find a few good size rocks on it or a few trees down. No problem there. Just concerned with washing out.

Rural life suits me fine. Not hearing traffic, the privacy means a lot to me. We need a lower stress type of life before the ratrace kills us.

Putting electric in for 1.5 miles would be way too much money we're willing to pay. Could pay for nice size solar system with that money. NOT having electric there would discourage others from moving there and destroying any peace and quiet there is. Plus I don't think we are willing to pay for other peoples electric to be accessible for no expense to them at all.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:19 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,383,195 times
Everything RogMar wrote is correct. The forest service does not even own any road maintaining equipment. If for some reason they need to use one of their roads and it needs to be repaired, they have to contract it out. There are a few main roads across the forest that are "county owned", but not many. The rest of the roads are for the purpose of timber access and access for fire fighting.

And that's another thing you need to be aware of. If you build "in the woods" without a wide fire break around your structure, the possibility of loosing it to a forest fire is great. So, with all that in mind, good luck and enjoy. If I was in the market for something like this, your property is exactly what I would look for. I would get me a good high clearance 4WD and tell people; "Welcome, if you can find me, and get there"

Old 12-19-2011, 03:50 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,210,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Everything RogMar wrote is correct. The forest service does not even own any road maintaining equipment. If for some reason they need to use one of their roads and it needs to be repaired, they have to contract it out. There are a few main roads across the forest that are "county owned", but not many. The rest of the roads are for the purpose of timber access and access for fire fighting.

And that's another thing you need to be aware of. If you build "in the woods" without a wide fire break around your structure, the possibility of loosing it to a forest fire is great. So, with all that in mind, good luck and enjoy. If I was in the market for something like this, your property is exactly what I would look for. I would get me a good high clearance 4WD and tell people; "Welcome, if you can find me, and get there"

Zacto mundo, Slim.

For the O.P., good luck on that Solar system. I've seen others do that, and $30k in they're still not there. You'd probably want to invest in a couple of large generators, at least 7-8 kilowatts. Most run around $1100 each.

Yes, it's not cheap to get the electricity run to you, I had to write the check also, but if anyone builds and taps on to that line, you get your money back. Nobody's going to ride your checkbook.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:46 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Zacto mundo, Slim.

For the O.P., good luck on that Solar system. I've seen others do that, and $30k in they're still not there. You'd probably want to invest in a couple of large generators, at least 7-8 kilowatts. Most run around $1100 each.

Yes, it's not cheap to get the electricity run to you, I had to write the check also, but if anyone builds and taps on to that line, you get your money back. Nobody's going to ride your checkbook.
Solar works fine if you use energy efficient appliances, etc. Independence is worth more than convenience anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas