Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 02:02 PM

4 posts, read 6,222 times

Advertisements

I've been researching and researching about relocating out of Southern California. I have it narrowed down to two possible choices that I'm looking at, Herber Springs Ak and Greenville SC.

I want to get away from the hustle and bustle of California (mainly traffic!). Plus being a single mother it's practically impossible to buy anything more than a "converted condo" (meaning it was once an apartment but they rezoned it) out here.
I like to hike, kayak, garden and run. My children and I love the outdoors. We have dogs and cats. I've lived in Littleton Colorado for over five years and loved it, so I'm not afraid of 4 seasons! I know that I need to go out and visit Herber Springs and Greenville, which will happen this spring break, before ultimately deciding.

What I'm most concerned out is culture shock and job market. I've read boards where people just slam the areas for being small minded, not letting outsiders in and lack of jobs. But usually its the disgruntle ones that complain and not the happy ones.

I would love to hear opinions and/or stories if you've relocated to either place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 02:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
You're asking about Heber Springs, AR????

Old 11-18-2013, 04:23 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,619 times
Heber Springs, Arkansas is a very small town. The lakes and mountains up there are nice, but I don't know how it will compare to Greenville.

If you want to see some larger areas in the same geographical region, check out Fayetteville, Arkansas or even Eureka Springs.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:02 PM

DC at the Ridge - Yes. Sorry typo!

Old 11-19-2013, 02:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
I have to concur with Rock Climber. Heber Springs is a pretty small town, and because part of the economy revolves around the lake, it seems to shrink a little in the winter. And that certainly would have an impact on jobs.

Sometimes people move to Arkansas and don't fit in. They blame it on being an "outsider" and how people in Arkansas are closed to change. That can be a little true. People who see themselves as outsiders can get treated as outsiders. And the thing about change is that it costs money. Arkansas is a poor state. The pay scale here shocks a lot of people coming from California or Colorado. When money is tight, people don't want to spend it for the sake of changing, they want to know that the change is really going to improve their lives, not just change things. For some people moving to the area, they see that as resistance to change. So there is a little culture-clashing that goes on.

Personally, my experience is that Arkansas is a friendly place, and a welcoming place. The people aren't opposed to "outsiders", they are thrilled that you wanted to move here, and they want to share what they love about the state with you. It is easier to find jobs when you know people. Which is true of any place. Networking definitely enhances job searches. In parts of the state, where there are fewer jobs, people new to the area, without a network, can have a hard time finding a job. It's a lot easier to find jobs in Little Rock or Ft Smith or Northwest Arkansas.

I have to say, since you are considering Greenville, that I think you might look more closely at Little Rock as well. Little Rock is really easy to get around, and has lots of walking and biking trails. Northwest Arkansas has focused on developing lots of trails as well. I don't want to discourage you from wanting to get closer to nature. And Heber Springs is a very lovely place, the lake is wonderful, and I'm sure you and your kids would enjoy all the outdoors things you like to do. I'm only thinking that Arkansas is The Natural State for a reason, a lot of outdoors things to do all over the state. Little Rock is so central, it gives you access to taking day trips all over the state. And Northwest Arkansas has the University and is growing so much, and you can kayak on War Eagle River, and hike in Devil's Den. I guess I'm saying if we all knew more about YOU we might be able to give you better feedback.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:36 PM

80 posts, read 206,444 times
FYI, AK is Alaska not Arkansas (AR).

Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

I have to say, since you are considering Greenville, that I think you might look more closely at Little Rock as well. Little Rock is really easy to get around, and has lots of walking and biking trails. Northwest Arkansas has focused on developing lots of trails as well. I don't want to discourage you from wanting to get closer to nature. And Heber Springs is a very lovely place, the lake is wonderful, and I'm sure you and your kids would enjoy all the outdoors things you like to do. I'm only thinking that Arkansas is The Natural State for a reason, a lot of outdoors things to do all over the state. Little Rock is so central, it gives you access to taking day trips all over the state.
I think Conway is also worth a look. Its a Little Rock suburb, but it has its own big employers and three colleges. Its also very convenient to areas like Heber Springs and the lakes.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
DC brought up a very, very important point. If one comes to a lot of parts of Arkansas, and thinks they're going to "change" things there, you're going to be a very lonely person.

We have a couple of "retirement communities" a ways away from us, and I'm proud to say that after all my years of living here, I don't know a single person in them, and their bickering and complaining affects me not.

Once the locals figured out that I wasn't looking to change anything, I made a lot of good lifelong friends.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:35 PM

Rock Climber I looked at Fayetteville, Arkansas it looks amazing. I am going to check that out in the spring when I visit. Actually all of AK looks beautiful and so green!

DC at the Ridge, I will look into Little Rock and research, thank you for the suggestion! I guess your right, if you act like an outsider, you will be treated as such. I'm looking more for quality of life and less of..well Los Angeles, which is where I'm currently calling home. I grew up in San Diego, but I really miss the feel of Colorado where I raised three of my daughters. It was nice to have the trails, parks and be able to let them play outside in the front yard. I did enjoy the four season, maybe not the blizzards so much, but I did enjoy all the seasons, slower life and less traffic...did I mention I hate traffic?

A good friend of mine went to college out there and she is looking to move back to the area within a year. She has friends and family, so I'm hoping to network off of them and have somewhat a support within reach. I work in accounting but I can really do anything. I'm not picky or expecting anything grand, I just want a slower pace of life.
If I have typos please forgive me, my mind moves faster than my fingers and less on spell checking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas